How to turn Steve Harper to Yashin

Newcastle Fan

Maybe we could take an exit poll on match days to see who the fans thought was the worst player.

Then the next week at training it would be their car that Harper has to protect.

Maybe then we would see a bit more effort. O0

All of these Asian minnows seem to have brilliant goalies who make crazy saves whenever they play us. ("us" in this case meaning South Korea) I guess this is why. :lol:

Its all down to Kung Fu, Jackie Chan would be the best goalie ever !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BooBoo

Harper inspired absolutely zero confidence in his defenders last night, especially in the first half where he seemed rooted in his six yard box. I was actually shocked when he came to confidently collect a corner late on in the second half.

A new keeper is a must, no matter what league we find oursleves in next year.

Was happy to see him given the number 1 shirt when Given left, but i've changed my mind almost entirely now. Hasn't been great and was generally garbage on the whole last night. Shame really.

Guest BooBoo

Generally its good keeping, if at all possible, to parry a shot to the side so that a rebound to the striker is unlikely. With Harper though, 9/10 times he'll parry a shot bang on the penalty spot.

Generally its good keeping, if at all possible, to parry a shot to the side so that a rebound to the striker is unlikely. With Harper though, 9/10 times he'll parry a shot bang on the penalty spot.

This. That shot from O'Neil that hit Tuncay would have flown in on another day.

He has a shit defensive infront of him, and infront of them he has a shit midfield, i mean, come on lads?

he doesnt have the tools to be a great goalie atm, put Van Der Saar in a Newcastle side for 38 games and he will look as shit as any other goalie in a shit team.

I'd say a keeper who is often under pressure has more chances to show his skills than a keeper who has a good team infront of him.

Harper is average, and barely even that. He's not got the Robson-era team to bail him out when he makes mistakes now.

I think we already knew that Harper is a good keeper but not in the same league as Given. As a back up keeper he is great to have but as a main man I don't think he's our long term answer.

Not sure if Krul or Forster are ready to step up yet, but who knows.