Lord of the pies bites back

sempuki

Right now I'm only person prepared to do this job

Nov 6 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Freddy Shepherd returned to work today insisting he was ready to ride out the storm and "sort out" the massive problems at St James' Park.

The United chairman is fully aware of the fans' protests against him - and has always said he would be prepared to stand down if another individual, prepared to pump millions into United's finances and take the club forward, steps forward.

However, no such candidate has emerged and made such promises, so Shepherd feels he has no alternative but to soldier on in an attempt to revive United flagging fortunes.

He was not present at St James' Park on Saturday to see United's horror show and defeat against Sheffield United or witness the protests - but he will have been hurt by the criticism.

He did say today: "Right now it would seem I am the only one prepared to do this job and it is one I will continue to do to the very best of my ability and with the best interests of the club at heart."

The United chairman has missed the last four matches, having been out of the country for compassionate and family reasons.

He returned to Tyneside yesterday to find the club languishing in the Premiership relegation zone and to read reports of of fans calling for his resignation following Saturday's depressing 1-0 home defeat.

On his return to his St James' office, Shepherd said today: "There is no doubt we are in a situation which needs sorting out and sorting out quickly.

"None of us can be happy at the position Newcastle United find themselves in right now and it is up to everyone involved to get us out of it.

"We have to do better and that means everyone pulling together for the good of the club to work through what are undeniably tough times."

There have been reports of other organisations being ready to put money into the club or indeed even take over Newcastle United - but major shareholder Sir John Hall says there is no offer on the table.

United could be excused if they told these organisations to put up or shut up.

Meanwhile, contrary to reports over the weekend, Shepherd has no plans to sack Glenn Roeder.

Reports linking United with Gerard Houiller and Alan Curbishley are untrue, although all Shepherd would say on this was: "We have been down this road before."

Shepherd was due to have a lot to say to the United players when they came in from their training session at lunchtime today.

He said: "I think it is time the players are reminded just who they are playing for."

In a funny way i hope he goes in that dressing room and gives the players hell. I know there are so many people on here that hate shepherd, but he cant do anything about whats going on, on the pitch. So if tearing into the players helps, then so be it.

Guest Gemmill

In a funny way i hope he goes in that dressing room and gives the players hell. I know there are so many people on here that hate shepherd, but he cant do anything about whats going on, on the pitch. So if tearing into the players helps, then so be it.

Totally undermines the manager, and from someone who was sat in Mallorca at the weekend while the players played their second game in 48 hours at his behest, it totally takes the piss. 

When it says "by Alan Oliver", what exactly is Olivers input to that article?

What it should say is this is a public broadcast on behalf of Freddy Shepherd, that would be more accurate.

I would call it shoddy journalism, but it isn't even journalism full stop.

The Chronicle says it can't win but when it prints propadanda (which is what this is) what do they expect?

Oliver himself stated a couple of weeks ago in one of his blogs to have a go at Shepherd was nonsense and there response on .com dismisses the anti Shepherd feelings as a "bandwagon".

Surely it is the local papers duty to provide arguments both for and against Shepherd, thus satisfying everyone? Idiots!

Not really. There are hierachies (sp) in all companies. If say a floor manager at work isnt getting the best out of his stafff, do you not think higher management would have something to say? Its exactly the same.

Maybe telling the players going somewhere else seeing their salaries drop by 30% will be a good kick up the arse.

Guest elbee909

The whole tone of that article pisses me off rotten.  Didn't hear much from FS about everybody pulling together when they axed Robson for a better start to the season than this one, they were all too quick to stick the knife in.

Guest Armchair Pundit

Okay, let's pretend fat boy IS the only person willing to run the club... can he explain why he's done such a shite job of it lately? Why he made such a hash of sacking Sir Bobby? Why he appointed that cock-end Souness? Why didn't get Martin O'Neill in when he had the opportunity? And why he appointed Glenn Roeder but didn't give him enough money to make sufficient transfers in the closed season?

If he's got the clubs interests so much at heart how can he justify any of that?!  blueupset.gif

The article flatly states that FFS doesn't want to be there but remains as there is no other choice('...Shepherd feels he has no alternative but to soldier on in an attempt to revive United flagging fortunes').

How can he then expect the players to listen? 'We're in this together, we can get through this, blah, blah...and by the way if I get a decent offer I'm off!'

Guest Gemmill

Not really. There are hierachies (sp) in all companies. If say a floor manager at work isnt getting the best out of his stafff, do you not think higher management would have something to say? Its exactly the same.

Maybe telling the players going somewhere else seeing their salaries drop by 30% will be a good kick up the arse.

He should be talking to Roeder and Roeder relaying the message to the players.  Turning up at the training ground to bollock the players undermines the manager position.  He's going to the training ground to bollock players that he will have made promises to regarding squad strengthening when he signed them.  They would have every right to tell him to fuck right off.

He should be talking to Roeder and Roeder relaying the message to the players. Turning up at the training ground to bollock the players undermines the manager position. He's going to the training ground to bollock players that he will have made promises to regarding squad strengthening when he signed them. They would have every right to tell him to **** right off.

Thats shite. At the end of the day, he's paying them £20,30, 40 k + to give everything they have for Newcastle United. The players arent doing that. So what if he promisedto strenghthen the squad and didnt. Does that mean they dont have to give 100%?? Piss off.

If i was the gaffer of my own company, and i wa spaying good wages for people to do a job, and they werent, i would have every right to tell them what i thought. Its exact same situation.

Guest Gemmill

He should be talking to Roeder and Roeder relaying the message to the players. Turning up at the training ground to bollock the players undermines the manager position. He's going to the training ground to bollock players that he will have made promises to regarding squad strengthening when he signed them. They would have every right to tell him to **** right off.

Thats shite. At the end of the day, he's paying them £20,30, 40 k + to give everything they have for Newcastle United. The players arent doing that. So what if he promisedto strenghthen the squad and didnt. Does that mean they dont have to give 100%?? Piss off.

If i was the gaffer of my own company, and i wa spaying good wages for people to do a job, and they werent, i would have every right to tell them what i thought. Its exact same situation.

I can assure you that if my boss turned up to go over my head and tell my department that they weren't up to scratch, I personally would feel undermined, and the staff in my department would recognise that my boss didn't think I was doing my job properly.  If you can't see that then fair enough, but you're wrong.  All Shepherd is interested in here is getting his name in the papers as the man to sort this thing out. 

Guest Invicta_Toon

I can assure you that if my boss turned up to go over my head and tell my department that they weren't up to scratch, I personally would feel undermined, and the staff in my department would recognise that my boss didn't think I was doing my job properly.  If you can't see that then fair enough, but you're wrong.  All Shepherd is interested in here is getting his name in the papers as the man to sort this thing out. 

it's OK if the boss in question owns the company

I think you'll find all bosses would defer to the opinion of the owner

whether FF can be seen as the owner is another matter

Guest Gemmill

it's OK if the boss in question owns the company

I think you'll find all bosses would defer to the opinion of the owner

whether FF can be seen as the owner is another matter

I don't think the players will make the distinction tbh.  All they'll know is that the manager has been undermined.  It'll have one of two effects - if they've got a lot of respect for Roeder (unlikely), it'll spur them on to perform to back the gaffer.  If they don't have much time for him, they'll enjoy seeing him undermined and it will have a negative impact on their attitude towards him.  IMO.

Maybe he wants to be in the papers, maybe he doesnt. That doesnt really interest me. But, i honestly do believe he has the right to bollock the players. Maybe i am wrong, maybe im not. Matter of opinion i suppose. One thing is for sure though, if we see an improvement on Tuesday, then maybe Roeder isnt the man for the job. If it takes the chairmen to get them playing?

I agree with you but I also think Roeder will turn around, bend over and take it up the chufter as adn when the fat man demands  :(

Guest Gemmill

Maybe he wants to be in the papers, maybe he doesnt. That doesnt really interest me. But, i honestly do believe he has the right to bollock the players. Maybe i am wrong, maybe im not. Matter of opinion i suppose. One thing is for sure though, if we see an improvement on Tuesday, then maybe Roeder isnt the man for the job. If it takes the chairmen to get them playing?

If we see an improvement on Tuesday, I bet we'll see Shepherd in the paper claiming the glory for the bollocking he gave the players though.  I don't think there's any doubt Roeder isn't the man for the job, regardless of what happens on Tuesday.

The whole tone of that article pisses me off rotten. Didn't hear much from FS about everybody pulling together when they axed Robson for a better start to the season than this one, they were all too quick to stick the knife in.

In fact FF did intervene during SBR's time, that was when Fred came out with the infamous 'There on Rolls Royce wages and I expect Rolls Royce performances' came from. It did have an affect but only lasted one game.

whatever it takes, i just hope we get a win on Tuesday. Need to start winning again, quickly. Theres so much talk on here about relegation, ive briefly thought about it, but both heart and head tells me it wont happen. We need to get Martins, Given and Dyer back. I honestly believe we can go on another decent run and will prob get a 12, 13th finish. Then we just see what happens in Janruary and next summer.

Totally undermines the manager, and from someone who was sat in Mallorca at the weekend while the players played their second game in 48 hours at his behest, it totally takes the piss. 

Spot on, but unfortunately all the ingrates will see is the fatman riding in to save the day on his trusty (giant) steed. Like the clowns at the match having a go at the people chanting against Shepherd.

SEE MAN! HE DUZ FKN CARE LYK!