Young guns or bust?

TRon

You never want to throw kids into a pressure match, but I share Waddle's concern that boro might just have too much youth and energy for our knackered team of has-beens. I saw it happen once before when Jim Smith's team of veterans were beaten in a promotion play off by a younger, hungrier Sunderland. It's a dilemma but I really didn't see enough desire or fight in this bunch to go at it for 90 mins. Do wee need to inject some youth and energy in key areas for the last few games or rely on big names and hope they deliver next week?

In such a big match you HAVE to put faith in your 'best' players. Imagine the response Shearer would get (from fans, media, board, staff and players) if he gambled on youth in this match and it didn't come off.

In any case, I'm not convinced any of them are remotely ready.

Still think Guthrie> the rest of our central midfielders.

Thats the one area i have a gripe with, Al clearly sees him as not being experienced enough.

But he has to give up on the rest of them.

In such a big match you HAVE to put faith in your 'best' players. Imagine the response Shearer would get (from fans, media, board, staff and players) if he gambled on youth in this match and it didn't come off.

I think we needed to address this much earlier and next week's match is too important, but I haven't seen this team last 90 mins in many games this season. They just aren't fit or mobile enough.

I think we needed to address this much earlier and next week's match is too important, but I haven't seen this team last 90mins in many games this season. They just aren't fit or mobile enough.

Absolutely. We should have been trying things out ages ago, but then again we had a fucking dinosaur managing us.

I think we needed to address this much earlier and next week's match is too important, but I haven't seen this team last 90mins in many games this season. They just aren't fit or mobile enough.

Absolutely. We should have been trying things out ages ago, but then again we had a f***ing dinosaur managing us.

I'm so agreeing with this... Couldn't have put it better myself!

The youth/reserve side have just been cuffed 5-1 off the Liverpool second string so I'd hardly have thought so.

It's desperation really. I have less and less hope that the current 1st team players have the energy or appetite for a battle, and if we are going to go down I'd rather go down with a fight with players who have something to prove and want to make a claim for a 1st team spot.

What does it tell about our squad if an unknown French youngster came on trial here from lowly Metz and goes on to pick the player of the season award? Just horrible as we're supposed to have lots of proven and experienced players for this level!!!

Just a thought worth considering. That quote was taken from the match thread.  Bassong wasn't even that highly rated in France before he came here. It's a shame we will have to get relegated before we are finally shot of over-paid players who refuse to run.

You never want to throw kids into a pressure match, but I share Waddle's concern that boro might just have too much youth and energy for our knackered team of has-beens. I saw it happen once before when Jim Smith's team of veterans were beaten in a promotion play off by a younger, hungrier Sunderland. It's a dilemma but I really didn't see enough desire or fight in this bunch to go at it for 90 mins. Do wee need to inject some youth and energy in key areas for the last few games or rely on big names and hope they deliver next week?

Just posted something similar in todays match thread. If we're 0-0 or 1 down at 60 minutes then fuck it, throw on some young bloods and tell them to go hell for leather. By then anything will be worth a shot. I'm just hoping it won't have to come to that.

Just posted something similar in todays match thread. If we're 0-0 or 1 down at 60 minutes then f*** it, throw on some young bloods and tell them to go hell for leather. By then anything will be worth a shot. I'm just hoping it won't have to come to that.

On the other hand, Ardiles' bunch of kids were heading into Division Three until Keegan came in with people like Kilcline & Sheedy.

Wouldn't work.

It's not working anyway. We just have to pin our hopes that the seniors will show us that in the final showdown they are able to match boro for desire and energy.

Just posted something similar in todays match thread. If we're 0-0 or 1 down at 60 minutes then f*** it, throw on some young bloods and tell them to go hell for leather. By then anything will be worth a shot. I'm just hoping it won't have to come to that.

On the other hand, Ardiles' bunch of kids were heading into Division Three until Keegan came in with people like Kilcline & Sheedy.

Ardiles put his faith in a full 11 kids and had no leadership to offer them. The trick is to get the balance right for me. One or two areas need a clear shot of life and have done all season, most noticeably midfield. No one gets beyond the forwards and whoever plays next week that has to change against boro.

The fact that Guthrie is overlooked in favour of Butt, Smith and Nolan is an absolute disgrace

The fact that he was wank on Monday night (far inferior to even Nicky Butt and Alan Smith, who was decent believe it or not), probably has something to do with it. I'll concede re: Nolan... but then - that was for ten minutes at Anfield whilst we were 3-0 down.

Guest guyb

pace and energy are one thing but I can also confirm that we are leaderless, have not experienced heads to change things if need be and the concentration is all over the place, especially late on.  We've let more goals in in the last 10 minutes this season than anybody else and it's not a fluke why.

But thanks for cheering me up anyway.

pace and energy are one thing but I can also confirm that we are leaderless, have not experienced heads to change things if need be and the concentration is all over the place, especially late on.  We've let more goals in in the last 10 minutes this season than anybody else and it's not a fluke why.

But thanks for cheering me up anyway.

We've got too many "experienced" heads who are a waste of space. A combined Newcastle/Boro squad would probably do quite well.

After watching borough play on Saturday and if we can't beat them then we don't deserve to be playing in the Premiership because they were absolutely shit to watch.

After watching borough play on Saturday and if we can't beat them then we don't deserve to be playing in the Premiership because they were absolutely shit to watch.

having played man u

wonder what they're saying about how good we are to watch if they saw the liverpool game :lol: