What's to look forward to in the Championship?

Fenham Mag

Guest thenorthumbrian

The BBC have got some live Championship games on as well next season (and highlights)  .

For those of us who resent paying for anything apart from the licence fee.

2 games within an hours drive for me down in South Wales.

Although whether I would fancy being an away fan in Cardiff is another matter all together

done it years ago. it was mental. the stewards weres wansea fans who done it so they could fight the cardiff lads. i was in the seats and they were climbing up and over from the paddock to get at us. there was no problem in the ninian before hand mind, my first taste of brains.

(brains bitter that is)

time to be honest. for all it would be a disaster for NUFC there is a little bit of me (about 3%) that would actually quite like to go down to the championship.

i'd certainly make more effort to go away and i just think it would be more fun. i've said on here before that my most enjoyable season for away games was when we nearly went down  with ardiles and keegan came and that wouls be nice again. i've even got friends ready re start their season tickets if we go down.

footballs about fun,not winning. if they offered me a free season ticket but i had to go straight to the match and styraight home after i'd tell them to stick it.

time to be honest. for all it would be a disaster for NUFC there is a little bit of me (about 3%) that would actually quite like to go down to the championship.

i'd certainly make more effort to go away and i just think it would be more fun. i've said on here before that my most enjoyable season for away games was when we nearly went down with ardiles and keegan came and that wouls be nice again. i've even got friends ready re start their season tickets if we go down.

footballs about fun,not winning. if they offered me a free season ticket but i had to go straight to the match and styraight home after i'd tell them to stick it.

:thup:

There's a tiny perverse part of me that can't wait to see what it'd be like.

Guest Howaythetoon

I won't miss the Premiership with its plastic stadiums, soulless atmospheres, overpriced tickets, restricting kick-off times, poor to average football, negative and samey-samey tactics and its utter dull and monotonous egos and issues. Having resigned myself to relegation a long time ago, I am actually looking forward to the Championship. What is painful is the wait in between, seeing my club being represented by a bunch of overpaid, wretched and utter contemptible c***s of the highest order on the pitch and in the board room and sadly sometimes on the stands while the opposition roll us over with ease. It isn't a case of what to look forward to in the Championship but what to miss in the Premier League and honestly my only interest in this god forsaken league is only tied to my club being in it, otherwise I'd give it a wide birth. Bring on the Championship and proper football, with proper fans, stadiums and good away days. I'm a football fan, get me out of here. Please. I know this will get me stick but I'm not arsed whether we stay up or go down as of this moment in time. I'm here for my club and the football and what league that happens to be in, what package, is irrelevant to my needs as a fan. Obviously the club itself needs Premier League football, as does our finances and our sponsors etc. but do I as a Toon fan and a football lover really need the Premier League? Do I f*** and I resent the likes of Sky, the media and fellow fans being so adamant that I do. If anything the Premier League needs Newcastle United and me more. Get some backbone people, once down there you'll probably feel more alive as a Toon and football fan than you have done all season. I can't f***ing wait to be honest. I've been to 4 away games this season, already I've pencilled in at least double that next season, me and a number of lads.

Guest LucaAltieri

I won't miss the Premiership with its plastic stadiums, soulless atmospheres, overpriced tickets, restricting kick-off times, poor to average football, negative and samey-samey tactics and its utter dull and monotonous egos and issues. Having resigned myself to relegation a long time ago, I am actually looking forward to the Championship. What is painful is the wait in between, seeing my club being represented by a bunch of overpaid, wretched and utter contemptible c***s of the highest order on the pitch and in the board room and sadly sometimes on the stands while the opposition roll us over with ease. It isn't a case of what to look forward to in the Championship but what to miss in the Premier League and honestly my only interest in this god forsaken league is only tied to my club being in it, otherwise I'd give it a wide birth. Bring on the Championship and proper football, with proper fans, stadiums and good away days. I'm a football fan, get me out of here. Please. I know this will get me stick but I'm not arsed whether we stay up or go down as of this moment in time. I'm here for my club and the football and what league that happens to be in, what package, is irrelevant to my needs as a fan. Obviously the club itself needs Premier League football, as does our finances and our sponsors etc. but do I as a Toon fan and a football lover really need the Premier League? Do I f*** and I resent the likes of Sky, the media and fellow fans being so adamant that I do. If anything the Premier League needs Newcastle United and me more. Get some backbone people, once down there you'll probably feel more alive as a Toon and football fan than you have done all season. I can't f***ing wait to be honest. I've been to 4 away games this season, already I've pencilled in at least double that next season, me and a number of lads.

Aye, lets all pretend we don't want to play in the top division anyway... the real football is in the lower leagues.

Prices in the Championship aren't much lower than the Prem tbh.

Guest LucaAltieri

I won't miss the Premiership with its plastic stadiums

Reading, Derby, Swansea, Coventry, Cardiff's new stadium, Leicester, potentially MK Dons, Boro all have these crap plastic stadiums you talk of tbh.

What he actually wants is to be relegated to the 70s.

Reading, Derby, Swansea, Coventry, Cardiff's new stadium, Leicester, potentially MK Dons, Boro all have these crap plastic stadiums you talk of tbh.

Coventry's stadium is very good tbh...as many Newcastle fans who watched the CC tie will testify.

Guest Brewcastle

It¨s not only The Lads playing S**** at the moment, so I still have a little hope about The Lads still play in PL next season - even it¨s not deserved. My guess has been Hull to take our place in the relegation-zone. But now Mackems seems to lose against Everton...  And they¨re very welcome to take the place instead of Hull....

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye, lets all pretend we don't want to play in the top division anyway... the real football is in the lower leagues.

The club needs to play in the top division but its not something that I as a fan need to satisfy me. What satisfies me with regards to my football and my club is watching honest, hard working players who don't necessarily need any outstanding ability representing my club with pride and commitment come whatever. As far as football itself goes I am rapidly losing interest in the game from a top-flight perspective. I went to Spurs a few weeks back, a ground I hadn't been to in a few years so I was initially really looking forward to it, but nothing had really changed. I didn't enjoy the experience of forking out all that money for a ticket in a soulless ground against opposition who although beat us, in a football context, were equally shit and knowing of their place in British football. It was only a brilliant 3 days in the Capital outside of the match that saved the trip for me, seeing my sister for the first time in months the highlight.

Everything about the top-flight is monotonous and soulless and the actual football is increasingly average. Ironically I find it a bit like our nation's capital which I visit regularly now due to work and wor sis and the bairn living there. At first I couldn't stand the place but visiting regularly you get to put up with it and sometimes even enjoy it. But would I live there? Would I fuck. In short its not what its cracked up to be and the more you get to spend in the place the more you itch for a return home. The championship is not home to a club of Newcastle's statue but is the closest I'll ever get to home as a football fan in terms of experiences.

Your Anfields mean nowt to me today. Ridiculous prices. Poor football. Inevitable defeat. Dumbed down home fans.

That is the mantra at nearly every ground these days, including St. James' Park.

Maybe its just me, but I'm sick of the Premier League and everything that it stands for. I'm under no illusions regarding the Championship. I'm not one that thinks we'd piss it or that the football will be quality affair but in terms of getting down there, getting around the grounds, watching teams like Doncaster Rovers at St. James' Park and meeting a new breed or rather an old breed of fans fills me with genuine excitement to the extent that I'm looking forward to next season.

Of course I don't want Newcastle to go down and hope we do stay up, but only because I know what impact that will have on the club, the city and most of all my fellow fans. It will be a devastating experience and a tragic event in our club's history but I'll be damned if I'll be marked by it or allow it to put me off in any context, something the Premier league does with every passing game and every passing campaign or visit to your Spurs or a visit to SJP from a Liverpool. And that's regardless of what kind of form we are in or where we are in the league.

I've been feeling this way as long ago as the season we finished 5th. I was appalled at the sense of loss missing out on 4th seemed to hit us and equally appalled by the way the media made 4th out to be the be all and end all. I remember starting a thread on the old Howaythetoon board with the title "fuck 4th", well fuck relegation too. I'll be there next season AND SO WILL NEWCASTLE UNITED and SO WILL YOU!

Ironically chasing that bracket of the top-flight has lead to where we are today...

Guest Howaythetoon

Many of which I've never been to...

I'm sick of the premiership too. I'm still not looking forward to the championship but after listening to radio5 today you can see there is some real passion in that division compared to the 'glamorous' premiership. I'm really sick of all this ownership bollocks and wish it would revert back to days of old with these twats in the background and the football doing the talking. A team of our stature shouldn't be anywhere other than the top division though.

Wonder if Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and Charlton fans felt the same when they left the Prem?

Obviously we're much bigger than them and it shouldn't happen to us, but careful what you wish for.