Players Morale

Crumpy Gunt

Probably as low as its been in fuck knows how long.

So, how do folk think Alan Shearer's public slaughter of Joey Barton will be recieved by the squad? Why didn't Shearer just say that he borrowed Wengers eyes and would view it later? I doubt a public slaughtering of a team mate would do morale any good at all and would only have a negative effect on the squad.

Saying what he did has given the press another fucking field day in even more negative shite about to come the Clubs way. My worry with Shearer is that he would be more of a Souness than a SBR or Keegan/Dalglish. It should have been kept in house with no statement whatsoever.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2411342.ece?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football

Grumpy Toon stars turn on Shearer 

SOUR NOTE ... Shearer's list of rules have left of his squad unhappy

By SHAUN CUSTIS

Published: Today

ALAN SHEARER’S ruck with Joey Barton is not his only conflict.

The Newcastle boss has also angered some members of his squad with a new set of rules.

If broken, they carry fines running into tens of thousands of pounds.

Shearer has just imposed an official list of regulations and penalties concerning lateness, despite the relegation-haunted Toon’s dismal season being almost at an end.

And he has warned his players that anyone who does not follow the rulebook will be hammered in the pocket — a move which has not won wholehearted support.

Late last week, as the team prepared for the crucial match at Liverpool, each player was handed an A4 sheet of paper laying down the law in black and white.

Shearer listed 12 different offences for lateness which would result in club fines of 10 per cent for a first offence, 20 for a second and a massive 40 for a third.

And he added that the fines would rise higher if there were further indiscretions after that. Shearer also insisted the 12 commandments were ‘not exhaustive’ and that other forms of lateness would be punished too, even if not on the list.

The manager laid down his marker on his first day in charge, when he told his squad they must not go into the city centre after games, that they had to eat together after training and must attend home matches wearing club suits even if not selected.

There were rules on being on time but those have been widened considerably.

Some players believe Shearer has gone over the top and that, at a time when Newcastle should be focusing on tactics on the pitch, the hard-line approach off the field is causing unnecessary ill-feeling.

Advertisement

SunSport was told that while Shearer and coach Iain Dowie’s disciplinary regime was welcomed at first, some in the squad now feel it has become excessive.

A source said: “Nobody would disagree that a club needs to be properly organised, with discipline and an order everyone understands.

“But to start writing down a list of offences that will get you fined at this stage of the season seems strange.

“It seems counter-productive to do it with so few games left. How many times could a player possibly be late for airport check-in now? It is just getting some people’s backs up.

“The players want to get Newcastle out of relegation trouble and want a good team spirit but don’t think this is particularly helpful.

“It is true some have been late on occasions but there are a couple of serial offenders. Some are never late and it looks like they are all being tarred with the same brush.”

Shearer felt one of Newcastle’s biggest problems when he took over was that the squad did not take enough responsibility and were not treating their job seriously.

He believed the regime under Joe Kinnear, and Kevin Keegan before him, was too relaxed. Yet as victories have failed to materialise, and Newcastle have plunged closer to relegation, Shearer’s methods have not produced the special pride in the club and willingness to die for the cause he expected.

Team spirit does not appear to have improved and he has grown frustrated that there are hardly any players with the same feeling for Newcastle he has.

Shearer had also hoped old mates like Michael Owen could pull Newcastle out of trouble once they got some encouragement from him.

But Shearer dumped Owen on the bench for the 3-0 defeat at Anfield and has accepted the former England striker is no longer the player he performed alongside for club and country.

If the players aren't happy then they can feel free to fuck off. I really don't care if they don't like his rules, these people drain millions out of the club and give nothing in return.

Fucking hell, and people ask why footballers are twats. The source claims more time needs to be spent on tactics, yet hes mouthing off to the nearest journo looking for a story. Dumb cunts

Jesus Christ, being asked to be on time for training makes these prima donnas so unhappy that they'll turn on the manager?

Maybe we do need to get relegated just to flush all the overpaid, spoiled s*** out of the club.

Jesus Christ, being asked to be on time for training makes these prima donnas so unhappy that they'll turn on the manager?

Maybe we do need to get relegated just to flush all the overpaid, spoiled s*** out of the club.

Exactly. Plus, its only been like this for shearers short term in charge. Heaven forbid they can't do as he says for the small amount of games hes here for...

Either way, that story is probably utter shite but I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be some truth in it.

There is no way to predict the players reactions.

They may be upset because Shearer layed in to Barton, but they may be happy because they agree that Joey is a twat (especially when Joey allegedly claims, in the dressing room, that he's the best player in the squad).  We also can't know their reaction to the new rules, because the source saying its going over the top may well be Joey, who has a massive axe to grind.

So the whole thing is just more of the media shovelling up the shite using dodgy sources to stir up trouble for the Toon.  Until a player puts his name to the quotes they don't mean dick!

Look, if I'm late for work 3 times I'll be down HR getting a formal warning, never mind getting a fine. If after that I keep being late then I'd run the risk of being fired. And I'm sure most of us would face exactly the same there.

Does it bother me? No. It's called having responsibilities and being professional about my job. And if I earned twice in a week what I currently do in a year then I'd make damned sure I was early never mind on time every single day.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I'm liking those rules. If a player isn't prepared to heed to them to play for us they can fuck off.

People actually believe this kind of shit?  "A source"?  All sounds pretty made up tbh.

I always take stories with 'Club Insiders'  and 'A source' with a huge pinch of salt. But its shit like this that raises its head when the Club itself does its dirty washing in public.

quite a conundrum this, i don't want us to go down by a long shot but staying up for one more season isn't as important to me as getting the club back

sounds overly dramatic, and is i guess, but we are truly lost at the moment and will remain so until a hatchet is taken to the club starting with the playing staff

i have high hopes that we stay up and shearer does this job but i doubt he'd take 100% of the necessary choices, relegation will force them though

i want us to stay up, before anyone starts, i'll just be a happy happy man when most of our first team are elsewhere replaced by players who want to play for the shirt

Guest Darth Toon

If you try and impose discipline on a bunch of spoiled kids who've been allowed to get away with too much for too long there will always be a few who rebel against it.

My betting is there'll be more in favour of Shearer's rule changes than against - the proper professionals with the right attitude, of which I think we still have a few.

What a cretinous shit-stirring article. Shaun Cuntis is a dweeb, and couldn't write a solid piece to save his life.

Either way, if this is true, and Shearer just can't seem to lift his squad, he should literally drop the entire first team, bar one or two, and play a full team of the youngsters. Just to prove a fucking point.

Yeah lets scrap these stupid rules and pamper these players some more eh?  They deserve as many fines as we can dish out for being total dogshit for the last 35 games.

Yeah lets scrap these stupid rules and pamper these players some more eh?  They deserve as many fines as we can dish out for being total dogshit for the last 35 games.

The correct answer.

Everybody knows Barton is a psycho, so on that score Shearer has done nothing wrong at all.

On the fines and rules thing, I'm not so sure. When a new boss comes in he needs the players on his side, not resenting him. I doubt the details of that Custis article are true though, so not going to slate Al based on that.

Everybody knows Barton is a psycho, so on that score Shearer has done nothing wrong at all.

On the fines and rules thing, I'm not so sure. When a new boss comes in he needs the players on his side, not resenting him. I doubt the details of that Custis article are true though, so not going to slate Al based on that.

If it is true then it's unbelievable the players think they'll get any sympathy from anyone.