George Caulkin strikes again

Rich

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/05/joey-barton-an-apology.html

Joey Barton: an apology

In the past, this newspaper, along with many others, may have inadvertently given the impression that Joey Barton should be granted a second chance. Subsequently, we may have acquiesced in the process of allowing him a third, fourth and fifth chance. Unfortunately, memory fails us and we can no longer remember which number of chances Mr Barton has now reached. But we apologise, unreservedly.

Furthermore, The Times has previously used quotes in which - to borrow from the Bumper Book of Football Cliches - Mr Barton has “opened his heart” or “bared his soul” regarding his latest indiscretion and we have printed them, albeit in good faith. If we’re being brutally honest, we’ll do it again, because that’s how this business works but, again, we apologise. The truth is that, to a certain degree, we fell for it.

Speaking of chances, we’re enamoured with the Sporting Chance clinic, the facility dedicated to helping sportsmen and women deal with addiction, which was founded by Tony Adams, the former England captain, and is run with dignity by Peter Kay (not that one). We have publicised their work with Barton and the work he has put back into it, because we think it has merit. Should we apologise for that?

We apologise for listening to a long list of managers at Newcastle United (five at the last count, although it may have changed by the time you read this), babble enthusiastically about Barton’s changed “character”. We held our noses and wrote the story, half convincing ourselves that all these football men must know something we don’t. That there must be more to it than self-interest.

We believe in humanity and we believe in redemption and we believe that there are different shades of right and wrong - in spite of Newcastle’s colours, not every issue is black and white - but we have always believed that the most self-destructive club in the country should never have signed it’s most self-destructive footballer. Never mind Barton, how many chances do Newcastle want?

We do not apologise for feeling nauseous at the way Newcastle has been utterly mismanaged. Even now, we marvel when we consider the arrogance of successive regimes - a club that has provoked such a widespread collection of corrosive headlines believing it is the appropriate home for Barton. And even last summer, when Barton was imprisoned and Newcastle perched warily on the moral high ground, they botched their attempts to tie him to a contract on reduced terms and then dismiss him.

Nor do we apologise for standing squarely alongside Alan Shearer in his attempts to impose some order on a club bereft of leadership. We support his decision to suspend Barton until further notice. We do so because after a lifetime of watching Newcastle and a decade of watching Shearer, we know what he has done for the club. We know that his instincts are sound, that his motivation cannot be questioned. We know that behind the scenes he is laying down a structure and discipline and the most amazing thing about it is not what is being done, but that it needs to be at all. We will accept his mistakes, because they will be honest ones. We will forgive him his inexperience as a manager, because he is one of us.

We do not apologise for thinking it is reasonable for professional footballers to report for training on time. To eat together. To spend extra hours on the training pitch or on the treatment table when injured, if it can help their cause against relegation. We do not care one jot if some Newcastle players - the same underachievers and vanity signings who have participated in the club’s demise - do not like it. If fact, we like it if they don’t like it. We believe that Shearer must be given the tools to do the job full-time and long-term, although we do not believe that Mike Ashley can be relied upon to take the correct decision.

Cards on the table time. We love Newcastle, just as we love Sunderland and Middlesbrough. And, no, that isn’t a cop out - we’re ferociously proud of the north east, a region often treated with disdain by the rest of the country, that has battled through economic deprivation to reinvent itself and now finds itself battling through deprivation again. We love the people, the geography, the passion.

We love the rhythms of Tyneside, the bustle of the city and the fact that its football club infiltrates every aspect of its life. We feel the history pressing in on us; we toast the achievements and reputations of men like Jackie Milburn, Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson and Shearer and shake our heads. We wonder how long supporters will continue to fill the stands, at St James‘ Park and also at the Stadium of Light and the Riverside Stadium, in the face of so much engrained disillusion. We love football, but we hate it, too.

We apologise if this column appears to wallow in misery; it doesn’t, but what else is there? We apologise for looking ahead to next Monday night’s fixture between Newcastle and Middlesbrough and feeling sick at the prospect. We apologise if the mixture of sarcasm and anger on this page, confuses or jars. We apologise if it feels as though there is no theme. Week upon week, there is only one: this has been an apology of a season.

Thought it worthy of its own thread as it's a bit wider-ranging than just focusing on Joey Barton. With every passing article/column, George Caulkin goes up in my estimations. I know his competition isn't exactly strong but I cannot remember enjoying a journalist as much as I enjoy him.

Obviously a bit hammy at times, but quite nice to read something in the national press that carries our banner a bit.

For all the abuse (often rightly) that we dish out to newspapers and journalism on here, The Times - and Caulkin in particular - seem to do the business more often than not. I thought it only fair to highlight what I consider a good piece that is nicely written and which conveys a lot of my own personal feelings on the Barton matter, Shearer as manager and the general perception/plight of Newcastle United in the modern game.

Thought it worthy of its own thread as it's a bit wider-ranging than just focusing on Joey Barton. With every passing article/column, George Caulkin goes up in my estimations. I know his competition isn't exactly strong but I cannot remember enjoying a journalist as much as I enjoy him.

Obviously a bit hammy at times, but quite nice to read something in the national press that carries our banner a bit.

For all the abuse (often rightly) that we dish out to newspapers and journalism on here, The Times - and Caulkin in particular - seem to do the business more often than not. I thought it only fair to highlight what I consider a good piece that is nicely written and which conveys a lot of my own personal feelings on the Barton matter, Shearer as manager and the general perception/plight of Newcastle United in the modern game.

There's a good reason why The Times has been named Sports Newspaper of the Year (again) and George Caulkin is a good example of that, I appreciate that a good portion of football fans only get to see the headlines of the rags (Sun, Mirror, Star, Express, etc) but those who are online should really know better than to be trawling through the online versions of those when the likes of The Times and (Louise "wheese keys are theese" Taylor aside) it's ilk are just as accessible

I don't know if Caulkin is from the North East but he does the club proud. It's a shame they never get him on Sunday Supplement instead of Bob Cass, Alan Oliver, Custis and the like.

Guest Darth Toon

Excellent work from Caulkin - seems to have the knack of capturing the mood of the fans perfectly.  :clap:

Guest Ebolarama

The Guardian is the best sports paper out there, IMHO.

The Fiver, Football Weekly Podcast and their excellent columns on European football simply eclipse everything else.

Great article, also I spotted this comment below it, there are the usual shite "deluded fans" "big club little club" garbage posts but thought this was worth a mention.

"I'm a Liverpool fan and my over-riding impression having watched Newcastle's last few games, including Sunday, is that of a team that doesnt care. At this time of year relegation threatened teams are the ones you want to avoid because, although they are tat, they usually give 110% and hassle the life out of you. And if they go down, its not for a lack of effort, they've gone down fighting. Newcastle could not be any further removed from that. They stood off Liverpool to the point where closing down was entirely absent, gave Gerrard and Kuyt insane amounts of time on the ball and let Alonso and Gerrard shoot from 20 yards at will. This says more about them than the shoddy marking and ropey formations. Because even if teams are disorganised they can still try their best. Newcastle didnt. In Duff, Smith, Butt, Barton, Viduka & Owen they probably have the biggest collection of well paid, washed up has beens any teams ever housed. They are crying out for a bit of desire. If I were Shearer i'd play the reserves & youth team lads against 'borough, they can't play any worse."

Posted by: Richard | 5 May 2009 15:57:45

The Guardian is the best sports paper out there, IMHO.

The Fiver, Football Weekly Podcast and their excellent columns on European football simply eclipse everything else.

They employ Louise Taylor, thus their football coverage is shit.

Another one from George.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6229737.ece

From The TimesMay 6, 2009

Newcastle take legal advice on Joey Barton

George Caulkin

Newcastle United are seeking legal advice over Joey Barton's dressing-room dispute with Alan Shearer at Anfield on Sunday as they examine every option regarding the midfield player's future.

Several witnesses have alleged that Barton's verbal outburst strayed beyond the point of acceptability after his dismissal against Liverpool and the club are now determined to move him on as quickly as possible.

Whether there is a case for Barton, who, as The Times revealed yesterday, has been suspended from the club, to have his contract cancelled, is open to question. However, Newcastle, who said that they have suspended the player “until further notice”, are delving into the possibility. While Barton is understood to have expressed remorse for the language he allegedly aimed at his manager, Shearer will not contemplate picking him again should both men remain at the club.

Barton's deal has three years to run, while Shearer's expires at the end of the season, but the club's willingness to support their manager is an illustration of his standing at St James' Park. Should sacking Barton prove too difficult or otherwise self-defeating - they would be writing off the £5.8 million they paid Manchester City for him in 2007 - they are prepared to withstand a significant financial loss to sell him this summer.

Newcastle have received unofficial expressions of interest from other clubs. Bolton Wanderers and Portsmouth have been linked with the 26-year-old over the past 12 months, while Sam Allardyce was manager when Barton arrived and Blackburn Rovers, Allardyce's present club, can be expected to monitor developments.

Shearer's stance is the latest example of the rigorous disciplinary system he has implemented - players are now fined for poor time-keeping, eating meals together are mandatory, as is extra treatment for those carrying injuries. Iain Dowie, the assistant manager, has also been conducting intensive individual training sessions.

The measures - many of which were in place under Sir Bobby Robson - have met with broad approval, particularly among the most influential members of the first-team squad. Those less enamoured with developments are those who have lacked the courtesy to report for training on time and are unlikely to receive much sympathy from supporters. Whichever division Newcastle are in next season, a purge is required.

Backing for Shearer came yesterday from Habib Beye, the Senegal defender and a respected figure in the side. “He's here to keep the club in the Premiership,” he said. “But if we stay in the Premiership and we have the opportunity to build something good, hopefully he will stay. He has passion.

“You know when you have Alan Shearer as the manager, it is easier to attract some other players, because they will believe you have a good manager. He will bring experience.

“I'm happy with what [shearer and his coaching staff have] done up to now, and really believe they will keep the club in the Premiership. I really believe Newcastle will become what it was before, because they've been a big club, and you can't believe this club going into the Championship.”

Don't let this thread get too much attention. People might start thinking not everyone hates Newcastle for no apparent reason.

"not everyone"..."for no apparent reason"...too many switching negatives.

theres vodka going on here dude.

Don't let this thread get too much attention. People might start thinking not everyone hates Newcastle for no apparent reason.

You're a canny judge of character, madras.

Er... so some people don't hate Newcastle for apparent reasons?

i was meaning me on vodka and trying to understand it.

but...hey ho. (smirnoff black if your asking)

i was meaning me on vodka and trying to understand it.

but...hey ho. (smirnoff black if your asking)

Simple Fosters here. But, despite the drink you've had, you caught me out with your comment. We'll try to live happily ever after? I think.

For a comparison here is a **** piece:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1177588/ASH-WEDNESDAY-Lack-local-heroes-Wor-Als-Newcastle-drifting-away.html

Fabricio Coloccini (laughably billed as the club's most consistent player this year)

By whom?  :kinnear:

Sebastien Bassong (so good that Newcastle's defence has leaked 56 goals, the second worst in the Premier League behind bottom club West Bromwich)

So with that genius logic O'Shea is the fourth best defender in the world?

They have tried almost everything, checking their fitness, their dietary habits, changing the system system several times or playing Damien Duff left-back at Anfield (ludicrous).

Ludicrous indeed, Enrique should've played, injured or not! Its not an excuse!