Darren Fletcher - Should he be able to play in the final?

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Darren Fletcher looks likely to miss the final of the Champions League.

Should he be allowed to play?  Assuming the referee doesn't revoke the card, for this to happen it looks like the rules will have to be changed to allow the appeal to be heard, or that UEFA will have to intervene.

If that happens it will again look like the bigger clubs dictate the rules, like Liverpool did when they were allowed entry into the Champions League despite not qualifying for it.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Hate the mancs so I couldn't give a flying fart who plays for them in the final.Hope Barca win the night and stuff Manure in Italy. 

What CS&C said.

The rules should quite obviously be changed though, to allow an appeal at the very least. Personally I don't like the concept of prior yellows/reds banning someone from a final at all.

But why not use this chance to set the precedent?

Fuck "no changing the rules half way". What's fair is fair. If we were in the same position we'd want them to consider it and whether it's Ronaldo, Messi or Fletcher it shouldnt matter who the player involved is.

What CS&C said.

The rules should quite obviously be changed though, to allow an appeal at the very least. Personally I don't like the concept of prior yellows/reds banning someone from a final at all.

Prior yellows, I agree. Ridiculous how easy it can be for a player to miss the final because of that rule. Sending offs is a different thing altogether though, IMO.

Fletcher should be allowed to appeal the decision, he shouldn't have been sent off yesterday, and shouldn't be punished for someone elses mistake, just because we don't like the team he's playing for.

Guest neesy111

the ref should reverse the red card

that ref was shocking though, never a penalty or sending off, never a free-kick for ronaldo's free kick etc etc

I don't see why a sending off leads to a ban anyway.

Surely the punishment is being down to 10 men during the game?

Sometimes it's down to 10 men, a penalty, and a three game ban... that's way over the top IMO.

I agree that there shouldn't be an appeal against a 'factual decision of the referee' though, people have to learn to just accept the referee's decisions.

In a case of mistaken identity they can appeal, which is fair enough obviously.

I agree that there shouldn't be an appeal against a 'factual decision of the referee' though, people have to learn to just accept the referee's decisions.

In a case of mistaken identity they can appeal, which is fair enough obviously.

well thats never going to happen, if you got a speeding fine for driving within the speed limit, you'd want the right to appeal, surely?

Rules are rules, you cant rape someone and then claim that the laws should be changed just because you feel good when you do it.

Wtf? ... yeah because that's exactly the same as here.

but if you really want to go with that analogy, then it would be like being accused of rape when it wasn't and going down anyway.

No he shouldn't. Simply because it would be unfair on all of the team who have played in the competition already this season who haven't been able to appeal against any such decisions impacting their team.

Guest Stephen927

I missed the incident... Was it a red card or did the referee make a mistake?

Guest palnese

the spurs decision, which was very similar in that the ball clealry changed direction, went for them, this didnt.

you win some you lose some.

end of.

some win more than others though...

the spurs decision, which was very similar in that the ball clealry changed direction, went for them, this didnt.

end of.

except it isnt the end of, because the debate is about whether he should be allowed to play in the final, not whether it was a penalty or not.

end of.

some win more than others though...

If you look at the 'true' league table - i.e. if all decisions were corrected then there is minimal change in respects of who is at the top of the league and who is at the bottom. That suggests that for everyone the ref gets it right or wrong in pretty much equal measures

end of.

except it isnt the end of, because the debate is about whether he should be allowed to play in the final, not whether it was a penalty or not.

stupid fucking debate really isn't it, he was sent off and the rules say he can't play right?

so of course he shouldn't be allowed to play because if barca lose tonight they'd be within their rights to kick off with the puyol yellow that put him out of tonight's game for a challenge that i heard was not worthy of a yellow

rule changes are never made mid season for good reason