The Away Goal Rule

Nobody

First of all: Congratulations to Barcelona, throughout the season, they've been the best team in the tournament and thoroughly deserves to be in the final, and I'm glad they knocked Chelsea out.

However, I think it's a bloody insult to football that this rule exists. It doesn't make any sense at all, how two draws makes one team go through is just laughable.

For those saying that the away team would just defend throughout the game, well fair play to them if they pull it off. Football is about defending just as much as it about attacking, and while many will disagree with me here, I really don't think a team that favours either of them should be rewarded.

I could agree with it if they started with the away goal rule in Extra Time, as that would make up for the home team getting to play 30 minutes more on their home ground.

Guest Heneage

I'd agree normally but tonight is the slight exception to the rule. Chelsea scored a great goal, and then just played ultra defensive, I thought I was watching an Italian team of the 90's at points tonight. Barca with 11 men and then with 10 Attacked Chelsea from the off and attempted to play Football. In this instance at least Barca deserved to go through.

The away goal rule has been around for donkeys. It's a shit way to go out but Chelsea knew the craic and knew 1 goal would knock them out. Tough shit imo.

(Just as an aside it was fantastic to see that little wanker Redknapp mouthing off after the game. Almost in tears - superb) :)

I'd agree normally but tonight is the slight exception to the rule. Chelsea scored a great goal, and then just played ultra defensive, I thought I was watching an Italian team of the 90's at points tonight. Barca with 11 men and then with 10 Attacked Chelsea from the off and attempted to play Football. In this instance at least Barca deserved to go through.

Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to defend a lead, especially not against a team like Barcelona.

Again, I'm not trying to apply this to tonights game, as I'm happy that Barcelona went through, and I only managed to see the last 10 or so minutes.

Are all of you people blind or something? How has everyone disgared that Barca were absolutely toothless and that Chelsea created many more chances. (In fact, Barca didn't really create anything at all.)

Apparently if we don't like watching catenaccio we should all be watching basketball. According to fraser. I'm calling you out, man!

The away goal rule has been around for donkeys. It's a shit way to go out but Chelsea knew the craic and knew 1 goal would knock them out. Tough shit imo.

(Just as an aside it was fantastic to see that little wanker Redknapp mouthing off after the game. Almost in tears - superb) :)

Of course they knew the craic and all that, I just think that the team that scores most goals should go through, no matter where they do it.

It's not like it's working any way, as it's meant to encourage attacking football away from home. Teams are now happy to sit back and hope to nick a goal, there really isn't much more attacking going on away from home these days.

Couldn't they work it out so that away goals rule only took place if the result was a win each way. Thus not knocking any undefeated teams out of the competition. Maybe madness when thought through, which is something I'm not prepared to do!

Of course they knew the craic and all that, I just think that the team that scores most goals should go through, no matter where they do it.

It's not like it's working any way, as it's meant to encourage attacking football away from home. Teams are now happy to sit back and hope to nick a goal, there really isn't much more attacking going on away from home these days.

Perhaps Chelsea should have been a bit more adventurous in Barcelona rather than shutting the game down? ???

Perhaps Chelsea should have been a bit more adventurous in Barcelona rather than shutting the game down? ???

Worked for Man U last year, and was extremely close to work for them this year.

Worked for Man U last year, and was extremely close to work for them this year.

The rules are clear and reward the away team having a go. As an away team, 2-2 >>> 0-0

Chelsea knew this and gambled that closing the game down over there was the way to go about it. Tonight they paid the price. Got no sympathy for them and the final will (probably) be a better game as a result of Chelsea going out. Hope so anyway. :)

Guest jack

The away goal rule actually exists to make teams play more offensively. When European competition started in the 1950s, away teams used to appraoch the game in pure defensive terms and wouldnt even try to score. The away goal was introduced to give them an incentive to attack. And if you think about it it makes sense, in theory it is harder to score away from home than it is at home, which is why awy goals should be given greater value.

Personally think the away goals rule is great, normally the more attacking sides benefit from it as they'll attack away from home too.

is the idea :thup:

as evidenced by Man Utd's and Barcelona's game plans in the past 2 nights.

Don't think there's anything wrong with away goals at all.

My problem is when it goes to Extra-Time. It should be two lots of 90 minutes, if it's still level, then penalties.

Trying to imagine Viduka playing two sets of 90 minutes........

It was brought about to stop the kind of football Chelsea played at the Nou Camp, it's as dull as dish water for the neutral spectators.

:thup:

Which is why it's great to see them knocked-out. I would have loved it if Man Utd got knocked out last season for the same reason too.