Pwnage: Barcelona bum Man Utd 2-0, win the CL

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Also, kudos to dcmk and mrmojo for having a 3 page debate without resorting to insults. Good craic generally despite some repetition.

you mean i didn't call him a c***?  missed the boat there, s***

:lol: it's now or never mojo. Don't do it buddy. Don't. Do it  :colo:

Also, kudos to dcmk and mrmojo for having a 3 page debate without resorting to insults. Good craic generally despite some repetition.

you mean i didn't call him a c***?  missed the boat there, s***

:lol: it's now or never mojo. Don't do it buddy. Don't. Do it  :colo:

me?!  never.... :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8036367.stm

Kenyan Arsenal fan hangs himself

A Kenyan fan of English football club Arsenal has hanged himself after his team's defeat by Manchester United.

The north London club was beaten 3-1 in the European Champions League semi-final second leg on Tuesday evening.

Suleiman Omondi, 29, who was watching in a bar in the capital, Nairobi, was incensed by the club's poor showing.

He left at half-time after arguing with a Manchester United fan and was found hanging from a rope in his house, still dressed in an Arsenal shirt.

Fucking hell, what would he have done if he was a toon fan?

A Kenyan fan of English football club Arsenal has hanged himself after his team's defeat by Manchester United.

The north London club was beaten 3-1 in the European Champions League semi-final second leg on Tuesday evening.

Suleiman Omondi, 29, who was watching in a bar in the capital, Nairobi, was incensed by the club's poor showing.

He left at half-time after arguing with a Manchester United fan and was found hanging from a rope in his house, still dressed in an Arsenal shirt.

Fucking hell, what would he have done if he was a toon fan?

Probably celebrate cos we only lost by 2 goals

Guest firetotheworks

Want Man U to win. f*** Barca, f*** Messi, f*** La Liga. 

:thup: Prem.

:lol:  was gonna chomp but this is surely a piss take

I hate this Barcelona w***-fest, was a complete farce today.  They were completely toothless in attack, all these great players and one shot on goal and barely a sniff at their home ground.  I thought there superb passing moves can tear apart anything.. obviously not.

Over-rated.  Surely a Man Utd win.

You obviously haven't watched them this season then?

English Premier League > La Liga. 

Whole world seems to think so too.  Plus 3 English teams in semi finals, would of been 4 if Liverpool haven't have played Chelsea i reckon.  Suggests standard is better in this country.

When Barcelona faced a good English team they should of have got knocked out.

FYP

You're right about the leagues, but that's not in any way an indication to a lower standard in Barcelona, they've thrashed every team in La Liga, including Real Madrid at the Bernabau, beaten every team theyve come up against in the CL, and like it or not they're better than Chelsea, and should have went through, because they did.

Guest Stephen927

Man United will win. They're the better all round team, they can defend as a team to shut Barca out, and they can play some beautiful football as well. Barcelona, although very easy on the eye are just as guilty as Arsenal in the way that they only have one way to play and no Plan B.

Man United will do what they did last year, shut Barcelona out, as well as offer a threat at the other end of the pitch, something which Chelsea didn't offer last night even though they were playing ten men.

Hard to see Barca winning, unfortunately.

Much as I love the Barca approach to the game in theory, against truly top class defensive units it just isn't effective. Against lesser sides their sheer ability on the ball shines through and they can carve teams open at will, but when faced with a quality defensive unit like Chelsea, or Man United in last years semi, there just isn't the room to play their way through.

I hope they bring in a center forward of some sort in the summer, someone that gives them the option to be just that little bit more direct when they come up against really good defensive sides. Someone who plays well with his back to goal and can bring runners into the game and even provide some sort of threat in the air on crosses. It doesn't have to be some sort of Drogba-esque colossus either, so it's not like they'll need to change their game that radically. Adding Ribery, which has been rumoured, won't really make them any more effective in my opinion, though it'll certainly be fun to watch.

Man U will just stick everyone bar Ronaldo behind the ball and defend all day, then do them on the counter attack. Only hope for this game is for Barca to score an early goal with a bit of magic from somewhere, if that happens it'll be an awesome game.

3-1 Man U.

f***ing hell, what would he have done if he was a toon fan?

i read that on the sky news site yesterday and this bit stood out for me

Football related tragedies are frequent in Kenya, where English clubs enjoy a passionate following among the locals.

might be a few toon fans over there  :kasper:

Football related tragedies are frequent in Kenya, where English clubs enjoy a passionate following among the locals.

might be a few toon fans over there  :kasper:

Not for long !

Guest thenorthumbrian

i'm just glad that the cheating b****** drogba isn't playing in a champs league final again, he's a disgrace to the game and should crawl back into the hole in which he came from

But there will be the cheating bastard Ronaldo playing.

Much as I love the Barca approach to the game in theory, against truly top class defensive units it just isn't effective. Against lesser sides their sheer ability on the ball shines through and they can carve teams open at will, but when faced with a quality defensive unit like Chelsea, or Man United in last years semi, there just isn't the room to play their way through.

I hope they bring in a center forward of some sort in the summer, someone that gives them the option to be just that little bit more direct when they come up against really good defensive sides. Someone who plays well with his back to goal and can bring runners into the game and even provide some sort of threat in the air on crosses. It doesn't have to be some sort of Drogba-esque colossus either, so it's not like they'll need to change their game that radically. Adding Ribery, which has been rumoured, won't really make them any more effective in my opinion, though it'll certainly be fun to watch.

Man U will just stick everyone bar Ronaldo behind the ball and defend all day, then do them on the counter attack. Only hope for this game is for Barca to score an early goal with a bit of magic from somewhere, if that happens it'll be an awesome game.

3-1 Man U.

You're right that a centre forward in that role would give them an extra dimension, but isn't it a bit premature to say their style isn't effective? They're on course to win La Liga and are in the final of the Champions League. Should they beat Man Utd, you'd have to hold your hands up and say it is indeed effective. You could say this is their true test, but the same could be said of Man Utd. On paper, it's a great matchup, a clash of the titans. I just hope they don't show each other too much respect, as Man Utd and Chelsea did last May.

I think it's too close to call, but I'm surprised why people have Man Utd down as such strong favourites.

3-1 Man U.

You're right that a centre forward in that role would give them an extra dimension, but isn't it a bit premature to say their style isn't effective? They're on course to win La Liga and are in the final of the Champions League. Should they beat Man Utd, you'd have to hold your hands up and say it is indeed effective. You could say this is their true test, but the same could be said of Man Utd. On paper, it's a great matchup, a clash of the titans. I just hope they don't show each other too much respect, as Man Utd and Chelsea did last May.

I think it's too close to call, but I'm surprised why people have Man Utd down as such strong favourites.

Probably due to Barcelona's defensive absences coupled with Man U's on form attackers in Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs and Park Ji Sung.

3-1 Man U.

To be fair, they were incredibly lucky to get through last night.

Didn't create one clear cut chance the entire game, as it was their goal came from a bit of brilliance from Iniesta that was a half-chance at best. For all their possession, Chelsea were so comfortable and Barca never looked like creating a chance. Was similiar against Man U last year as far as I recall, plenty of the ball but no penetration as you simply can't pass the ball through a side as good defensively as Man U or Chelsea when they set their stall out to defend. In La Liga it's fine because teams can't defend to anywhere near the quality a Chelsea can, but against the top English sides I think they'll struggle unless they adapt their game when they need to.

Unfortunately when the game itself comes around I see no reason why Man U won't just set out their stall to defend and play Barca on the counter. It'll still be an intriguing fixture but anyone expecting an end-to-end thriller will be disappointed I'm afraid, unless Barca get in front then I see Man U playing it very cautiously.

3-1 Man U.

To be fair, they were incredibly lucky to get through last night.

Didn't create one clear cut chance the entire game, as it was their goal came from a bit of brilliance from Iniesta that was a half-chance at best. For all their possession, Chelsea were so comfortable and Barca never looked like creating a chance. Was similiar against Man U last year as far as I recall, plenty of the ball but no penetration as you simply can't pass the ball through a side as good defensively as Man U or Chelsea when they set their stall out to defend. In La Liga it's fine because teams can't defend to anywhere near the quality a Chelsea can, but against the top English sides I think they'll struggle unless they adapt their game when they need to.

Unfortunately when the game itself comes around I see no reason why Man U won't just set out their stall to defend and play Barca on the counter. It'll still be an intriguing fixture but anyone expecting an end-to-end thriller will be disappointed I'm afraid, unless Barca get in front then I see Man U playing it very cautiously.

I know what you're saying but people are making these judgments based on 360 minutes of football. It's simply not enough time conclude that Barca's style isn't effective. I know a lot of people, especially my mates, have said that what they did at the Nou Camp was beneficial to them but I disagree. Even though both Man Utd and Chelsea scored goals in their home legs and won (or went close to winning, in Chelsea's case) the tie, both of their goals were once-in-a-season hits that no goalkeeper in the world could have saved. These strikes aren't goals that you can bank on and say 'you know, I think we can try for the 0-0 there because I've got a hunch that Scholesy will hit a half-volley from 30 yards to win the match'. It's just statistically very unlikely for any team to be able to repeat this tactic with consistent success whereas Barca play a style of football that makes it highly probable that they will score goals, home and away. The fact that Man Utd won last season shouldn't have been a signal for Chelsea to try the same tactic because Man Utd's success was dependent on such an unlikely event. Chelsea played the same way and actually got the unlikely event to occur again but they couldn't stop what was always going to happen from happening - Barca scoring. I'm of the opinion that barring two awesome unrepeatable goals (this is my key premise), Barca would have won last season's tie and this season's in a much easier way. I know hypotheticals like this might be frowned upon but if you are going to speak about the effectiveness of a style of play, then the most important factor is how likely you are to win with that style of play. I think the style that Man Utd and Chelsea adopted for their ties is unlikely to produce consistently good results because it's so dependent on something miraculous happening, whereas Barca's style of play makes it more likely that they will score goals against any team (which is why they've scored the most goals out of any team in Europe this season). I know they got shut out for 360 minutes but not only is it an issue of small sample size, there's also the fact that the two ties occurred a year apart from each other with a Barca team much more motivated and willing to play. People are being too hasty to conclude that Barca can't play against defensive teams.

We can only judge based on what we've seen thus far though, and over the course of those 4 games Barca have looked completely ineffective going forward.

Don't agree that Barca scoring was "always going to happen", looked like they could easily have played until midnight and not gotten a goal.

And while ultimately it was a wonder goal fom Essien that won it for them, barring Bojan's header the best chances over the two legs all fell to Chelsea, and they had a stonewall penalty turned away on top of that.

Really hope they beat Man U, but I'd be surprised if it happens.

Drogba had two 1v1s, Bojan missed a header, and Eto'o and Hleb missed 1v1s. Only 5 chances that I would classify as sitters over 180 minutes.

Don't agree that Barca scoring was "always going to happen", looked like they could easily have played until midnight and not gotten a goal.

I know, but I'm talking about statistically likely. Of course, in 90 minutes, it's possible that Barca won't score. But, maybe you can attribute the lapse by Chelsea at the end to how much Barca exerted on them over 180 minutes. I'm just saying that if Barca plays against in the team in the world right now, I'd bet on them scoring more goals and winning because their style of play just makes it highly likely that they score and win. That's all I'm saying. In yesterday's match, they looked like they couldn't score but they should have scored two or three over the 180 minutes and that's a bigger sample size so fuck you :razz: And if you take into account their whole season so far, with a significant sample size, Barca are definitely the most likely of any teams in the world to score.

With your Juve and AC Milan example earlier you must appreciate the art of defending. 

absolutely, and fair play to chelsea for being the first team to stop them scoring at home this season

as i said before i prefer the way the italians and spanish go about defending when that's their gameplan but yeah, fair play to chelsea for that

still missing how Barca's defence is so bad and chelsea didn't punish it though

Seriously explained this like 5+ times now!  Read them.

oh no, i read 'em, it paraphrases to "they didn't try because they didn't have to"

bollocks, and it doesn't explain the first leg or were they not trying then either at 0-0?

Why is that bollocks? if your manager of Chelsea you know the opposition going to throw everything forward, you would like to see open game?  Instead of hitting them on the break when they are over exposed ala Man Utd on Tuesday?  Why exactly is it bollocks.

i agree with what you're saying about the tactical aspect, i.e. don't play on an open game - counter attack definately the way

what i'm saying is if barca's defence is/was so bad as you've suggested why didn't a counter attacking game expose this in the way arsenals defence was exposed by man u?  (not that man u played counter attack but you see what i mean)

i mean in your first line you're basically saying tactically hiddink tacitly accepted barca would beat them in an open game so even in the home leg he set up to stifle them and counter, yet you're calling barca's attack toothless!!

i see this as a massive contradiction in terms and it's why we've been slavering on for hours now :lol:

I said hiddink paid to much respect to them at the nou camp.  Today Barca's attack were completely toothless, i mean chasing the game for 80 minutes your one shot on target is the very last.  70% possession and one shot on target.  With Eto'o, Messi, Iniesta all these players they are supposed to steamroll through teams and they come up against a good defense and they are completely out of ideas.  Especially in the dire situation they were in.

going round in circles now mate, 70% possession and one shot tells me chelsea put up a wall and did it very well you seem to see it that Barca weren't good enough in attack

we'll never reach an agreement on that, fundamental difference in how we look at things

The whole point is surely that if Barca WERE good enough in attack against good enough opposition, they'd have cut through them regardless.

Chelsea didnt only put up a wall, they counter attacked.

If you consider the goal they had, drogba being 1 on 1, anelka would have been if it were not for a hand ball, he would have been once again had he not tripped over his own heels like a clown.

On another day thats 4 clear chances to score theyd have taken, could have been 4-1 and some of you would still be claiming they were playing defensive football.

No, they were playing a style of football that was perfectly suited to stifling barca's attack & exposing their weaknesses going back the other way. They were both severely unlucky & crap in different moments. Regardless, Hiddink set it up perfectly & Barca looked nothing special atall.

Guest Stephen927

Put simply, Chelsea played the football they knew would stifle Barcelona. Which manager in their right mind would send their team out to play Barcelona in at their own in A Champions League Semi Final, it just doesn't happen.

Manchester United will win. Not that I want them to, but their defence will be too good and I don't think Barca will create too many clear-cut chances against it.

Guest Phil K

It irritates the hell out of me to want Man U to win and their legions of part-time fans celebrating and wondering what part of London Old Trafford is in....

Barca 1 Man U 3

Should be a good final. Both teams like to attack.

Man U and Chelsea tend to cancel each other out, so I'm glad it's not a repeat.

I'd fancy Man U to win, because Barca's defence is vulnerable.