Fulham

Pilko

After going to Craven Cottage this weekend to see their game against Villa, there are some things worth sharing with you all.

The stadium itself is in the middle of almost like a "suburb" type part of London, built on the back of normal houses, in a leafy street. The sun was shining and fans were wandering around the street. Everything looked really good. We went in (near the away end, not in the neutrals like I thought but in the home end) and the whole place was dead clean, away and home fans were mingling by the side of the river and the beer was flowing.

Before the game, at about 2.50pm, they played this stupid song, which went along the lines of THEY ARE REAL MADRID, THEY ARE BARCE-LONA, WE ARE FULHAM EFFERRSEE AND WE ARE GONNA OWN YA! THEY'VE GOT NO POINTS, WE'VE GOT THREE, HOO HOO HAA HAA HEE HEE.! As this song was played, the stadium announcer exclaimed "and welcoming onto the pitch, your chairman, Mohammed Al Fayed!" and out he came, twirling a Fulham scarf round his head and doing a lap of the pitch as this ridiculously cringeworthy song was played. None of the Fulham fans seemed arsed about any of this, a minority clapped, they sat their stony faced whilst my lot had a right laugh at the song. The Villa fans (who were a total credit to themselves all afternoon, sang their hearts out even when 3-1 down) gave these events a WHAT THE FUCKING HELL WAS THAT!?! and rightly so. :lol:

"Imagine if Ashley done that," said one of my mates. "They'd be chucking pies at him"

Anyway, the game kicked off, Fulham went 1-0 up after about 12 minutes and the fans cheered when Murphy netted the pen. Then, after this, stark silence. No applause, no chants, no GOOOAARRRN!!! every time the home side picked up the ball, no nowt. For a team who are sitting 7th in the table and pushing for a Europa League spot, the fans were a fucking joke. Two teams were playing out a decent game of football (particularly the home side) and these snobs sat and snoozed in the sunshine. The Villa fans were all we could hear, chanting away, both for their team and criticising the Fulham support all game long, fantastic.

All of the Fulham players had good games, apart from Zamora who got 10 minutes and missed a good chance. Aaron Hughes, solid as a rock at centre half - surplus to requirements at NUFC. Pantsil and Koncheksy were brilliant all game long at fullback, and at the end, Pantsil did a lap of the pitch, clapping all the fans, cheering, jumping in the air and making clenched fist gestures. I cannot imagine any of our players doing that at the moment.

It took 38 minutes for the first home chant. And even that was a Fulham! clap clap clap Fulham! clap clap clap by one side of the ground. I was sat there thinking "imagine the noise at SJP if we were playing good football and pushing for a European spot" - it would have been an electric atmosphere. The home fans were shit considering where their club was about 10 years ago.

To summarise: Fulham - nice little ground, lovely weather, good football team, good manager - shocking fans.

My favourite away in the prem I think. Lovely ground and area. Few good pubs in the vicinity as well. The fans are hilarious though, they had these clapping hands they were using this season. You couldn't find trouble in Fulham if you were looking for it.

i was at the same game pilko. im from the south and fulham have always been the team i go and see to get my football fix when newcastle arent accessible. as you say, absolute gem of a stadium in a nice place. i really like the team, play good passing football with no diving or anything like that. agree with the atmosphere not being that good, but there were a few chants where i was (in the johnny haynes stand- the old one with the cottage on the left) was much better when i went to see them knocked out by man utd 4-0 in the fa cup. the only thing that pissed me off was the bloke near me who did not stop slagging his team off throughout the game- slagged off kochesky and gera and didnt seem to notice that they were beating villa 3-1 ad were on course for their highest ever premiership finish!

but there were a few chants where i was (in the johnny haynes stand- the old one with the cottage on the left)

I was in the Riverside Stand opposite, block Z right next to the Villa lot. None of the fans were doing any singing at all.

Guest Brummiemag

Great place for a day out, good boozers, friendly fans and a proper old fashioned ground.

People may say their fans are shit but I disagree.  Credit them for supporting an unfashionable team, it would be all to easy for them to support Chelsea or one of the "bigger" London teams.   

Live about 500 yards from the ground, can only hear noise when they score (except the game when they hammered manchester, atmosphere was actually pretty decent). I often imagine what it would be like to live as close to SJP on a night like last night... Think the house would be shaking!

Great place for a day out, good boozers, friendly fans and a proper old fashioned ground.

People may say their fans are shit but I disagree.  Credit them for supporting an unfashionable team, it would be all to easy for them to support Chelsea or one of the "bigger" London teams.    

Reasonable point, Chelsea is in Fulham as well.

Guest Phil K

Been to Craven Cottage a few times following NUFC in the past - nice old fashioned place

Hard to believe their derby is Chelsea. Stamford Bridge I gather is in Fulham* (another place I've been a few times in the past)

* Just noticed this has been said by a few people above

Guest WashyGeordie

So technically Fulham should be called Putney, and Chelsea should be called Fulham?  :cheesy:

No.

:angel: