Newcastle Blue Star fold

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

What a damn shame.

Less than two weeks after celebrating promotion to the Unibond Premier Division, Newcastle Blue Star are set to enter administration and effectively go out of business.

This follows recent financial demands made upon the club for repayment of a grant that have proved insurmountable - the current backers unable to provide the £65K figure required and no new investors having come forward.

Were the club to continue, demotion back to the Northern League level would follow and a new home venue would need to be found - neither of which look realistic at present.

Guest guinness_fiend

It is just a shame that another club has been found out for spending above its means.  It is a sad state of affairs where even tiny clubs are being pressured into spending sums (now matter how insignificant they may seem to top-tier clubs) in order to stay afloat.

It is just a shame that another club has been found out for spending above its means.  It is a sad state of affairs where even tiny clubs are being pressured into spending sums (now matter how insignificant they may seem to top-tier clubs) in order to stay afloat.

I don't think it's that at all, from reading the reports and the NBS comments, it appears as though incentives were offered to NBS to join the newly revamped Unibond league, but in order to do so they'd have to play at a better stadium than the Wheatsheaf (Kingston Park).

NBS moved their Unibond home league games to Kingston Park, leaving the Wheatsheaf to be used by their 'community' teams.

It would appear that, prior to the Unibond fiasco, the club had made applications for, and received, some sort of grassroots 'stadium' grant over the past 10 years - totalling £65k.

As their first team are no longer able to play their matches at the Wheatsheaf, the grant issuers (FSF?) have demanded immediate repayment of the funds...which, given that they were applied for in good faith, have been spent on rennovating the Wheatsheaf over the past 10 years.

Ridiculous idea to award grants and then expect immediate repayment at a random date in the future

Guest toonlass

It would have done someone like Fred Shepherd no harm at all, publibicity wise, to have donated the 65k to the cause. Drop in the ocean, finances wise, for a bloke with as much money as he has.

It would have done someone like Fred Shepherd no harm at all, publibicity wise, to have donated the 65k to the cause. Drop in the ocean, finances wise, for a bloke with as much money as he has.

But why should he?

f***ing hell, the players should do as a gesture of good will after a horrible season, wouldnt heart them one bit if they all put in a little money from their wages imo

Tbh where do you draw the line it means fuck all to our players and there are so many clubs in there situation that it is a national problem and maybe the F.A should have a look at the affairs of all clubs but maybe it just isnt practical unless someone can come up with a better idea.

Guest toonlass

But why should he?

Nae reason why he should but if I had the amount of money he has, and I thought a local football team was going to go out of business and I could help stop it, then I know I would. He claims he loves football, so why shouldn't he?

But why should he?

Nae reason why he should but if I had the amount of money he has, and I thought a local football team was going to go out of business and I could help stop it, then I know I would. He claims he loves football, so why shouldn't he?

Shepherd has no moral obligation to Blue Star whatsoever so I don't see why he should.

But why should he?

Shepherd has no moral obligation to Blue Star whatsoever so I don't see why he should.

Obviously no obligation in the slightest, but given that he's still heavily involved with business in the area (or so I believe) it might even have been worthwhile financially to him given the goodwill / publicity etc.

Would be a nice gesture if we as a club could do something but again there's no obligation in the slightest.

But why should he?

Random comment but if your free on sunday can you come down to coach lane and give me a massage after our match  ;D :-[

In all seriousness Fat Fred has no reason to spend his money on Bluestar but it would do his credibility no harm at all but as tooj says why should he.

Guest toonlass

But why should he?

You are right, but it was just an opinion. I'm not frogmarching him to the bank to get the cash out. Would have been nice of someone with his financial capabilities to have helped them out.

I think as news of this gets round someone will bail them out, anonymously probably. Considering the money in the EPL alone I will be quite disappointed if someone doesn't step in and help out.

Great PR opportunity for the club though, they should just write them a cheque now.

If you help one club then you have to help the rest. Lots of non-league clubs have been spending above their means and it only comes back to haunt them, as sad as it is. I hope Newcastle BS manage to get some help from somewhere - would be a real shame to see them go under.