Our Top 50 Players Of All Time

Tooj

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6146564.ece

Right here' date=' right now, we need to set out a few ground rules. This is my list. Not yours, not Newcastle United’s, not an attempt to be definitive. I suppose I’d quite like you to read it - although I’m not entirely sure; I’m feeling quite protective - but this is mine, warts (or Kenny Wharton), and all. It is an attempt to cover the history of the club, to put their triumphs and disasters into some sort of perspective - and that isn’t always easy when you’re sifting through so many players who are familiar only through books, old football albums or the recollections of older friends and family members - but this can only be a personal endeavour and one that reflects my own generation and experiences. It’s amazing to think that given the vivid torture that went before it, there are younger supporters who will only know Newcastle as a top-flight club (for now, anyway). Maybe I would throw my hands up in horror at the players they would nominate as the best, or as their favourites. Kieron Dyer?! I hope I would respect it (although, deep down, I doubt it; that’s what this is all about). I’ve omitted many important players and a multitude of big characters, the order is all wrong and I’ve certainly made errors, for which I apologise. [/quote']

Canny read from The Times. 11 pages worth of who our greatest ever player was. Can understand why Milburn was top, but I would have Beardsley top for the ones I've seen in my time, and yes that includes Shearer as I'm sure most who saw him play can understand.

As said countless times...Caulkin is a great football writer :thup:

The best to cover NUFC for years.

He just gets what we're about in a way that the Custis' of this world never would.

Milburn is rightly number 1,  for all the likes of  Beardlsey, Shearer, Supermac, KK, Cole, gazza were brilliant players,  Milburn was the star man of a team that won 3 FA cups, for that reason that'll always make him NUFC's greatest player of all time.

For a minute there, I thought I saw Xisco on the list.

After a double-take, there he is at 49. :lol:

yes he's in there to quote George Caulkin as...

It is hardly his fault, but there may never have been a bigger, worse signing in the club's history.

It is hardly his fault, but there may never have been a bigger, worse signing in the club's history.

That's a ludicrous thing for him to say about Xisco... nobody knows if it really was his signing that made Keegan walk, and even if it was that reflects more badly on Keegan than it does on Xisco himself.

And in footballing terms it's far too soon to say he's one of our worse signings... he was considered one of the most promising strikers in Europe, he could easily still come good.

That's a ludicrous thing for him to say about Xisco... nobody knows if it really was his signing that made Keegan walk, and even if it was that reflects more badly on Keegan than it does on Xisco himself.

And in footballing terms it's far too soon to say he's one of our worse signings... he was considered one of the most promising strikers in Europe, he could easily still come good.

hyperbole?

Guest elbee909

hyperbole?

No, footbole.