Martin Laursen retires

Mr. Snrub

Villa's Laursen forced to retire

Aston Villa captain Martin Laursen has announced his retirement after admitting defeat in a battle against persistent knee problems.

The former Denmark international, 31, suffered his latest injury against West Ham in December and has since made just one appearance this season.

After an unsuccessful return to light training in March, he has now called a close to his career.

Laursen made 91 appearances and scored 11 goals in his time at Villa Park.

Shame that.  Top player on his day, and still only 31.

Top player in his day.

Probably Villa's best defender since McGrath.

Must be something about playing for Villa that leads to these injuries ;)

Awesome defender. It'll cost them loads to replace him imo.

imagine his walking when hes like 60-70, probably be in a wheelchair then, shame  :no:

be able to buy robot knees with money he'll have earned

or robots to carry him about instead of knees, like back to the future 2 where the grandad is scooting about hangig upside down and that

Huge shame for him. Class player and he's always impressed me off the pitch too, seems a very genuine guy.

Hope he's successful in whatever he chooses to do next with his life.

Who gives a s***, doesn't play for us. No feelings of sympathy for a man who's set up for life and gets to retire with no money worries at the ripe old age of 31. If I get to retire at 65 I'll be happy.

Who gives a shit, doesn't play for us. No feelings of sympathy for a man who's set up for life and gets to retire with no money worries at the ripe old age of 31. I've I get to retire at 65 I'll be happy.

this, it's a shame when players bodies give up at 21 and they've no education due to dedicating everything to football - can't get upset about someone like laursen