Newcastle United 0 - 1 Fulham - 16/05/09 - post match reaction from page 20

James

Agree.

What was sad was watching West brom yesterday. One disallowed goal, one off the post, about two off the line...so many misses. So similar to us v Fulham it was scary.

Atleast now we have one last game to take it out of the hands of luck & deserve to win. We take our chances we will.

Guest neesy111

sorry but we just never looked like scoring v fulham, there was no cutting edge to us, that killer instinct that sadly our players don't seem to have

We didn't play that badly in the first half, and we could have scored a couple of goals. But as usual we didn't score when we were playing well and then we conceded a soft goal.

I only saw it live, but I can't believe Bassong decided to play offside... even though he's got decent pace he does seem to struggle to turn quickly.

Once we had conceded Fulham were always going to be favourites, they really compressed the game and made it difficult for us. Since we have very little width and no pace or athleticism we struggled to break them down.

On another day we would have got at least a point, but on this evidence Villa will score at least one against us.

Guest toonlass

sorry but we just never looked like scoring v fulham, there was no cutting edge to us, that killer instinct that sadly our players don't seem to have

The disallowed goal negates your statement tbh.

The disallowed goal negates your statement tbh.

And Schwarzer's fantastic save at the end. And us hitting the post from close range. And Etuhu's brilliant goalline clearance.

Attack wise; they looked quite sharp every time they got the ball in the last third whereas we looked pretty toothless, apart from set pieces where we looked a bit more hungry.

Very dissapointed.

Guest alankhaw

Theres nothing we can do about this game now. All we can do is look forward to the next one and stay in this league!

From the highlights we looked dangerous but being there I can categorically say we were shit.

I didn't think we were that bad. I think we deserved a point out of the game.

We were shit, which is fair enough, as the players are actually shit.

Even a few years ago, we had a few players that would have gotten into a top 6 team, and maybe even 1 or 2 for a top 4 team. Now, these players DESERVE to be in a relegated side, which in all likelihood they will be next week. Big club? We're not. Haven't been for a good few years,

All the Ashley and Wise apologists (you know who you are), and those that thought Kinear or Houghtonm were anywhere near good enough, should hang their stupid heads in shame.

Hearing players like Butt and Duff comig out in the papoers "i don't want to get relegated, I'll fight to make sure we don't", then just fucking meandering through games is ludicrous.

Premier League? You're having a laugh.

Who on earth actually claimed that Kinnear or Houghton were good enough? Seriously....

From the highlights we looked dangerous but being there I can categorically say we were shit.

We were as good as Fulham really, except for letting in that soft goal. After that it was much easier for them, obviously.

Us being shit doesn't automatically mean they were any better. ;)

We were shit, which is fair enough, as the players are actually shit.

Even a few years ago, we had a few players that would have gotten into a top 6 team, and maybe even 1 or 2 for a top 4 team. Now, these players DESERVE to be in a relegated side, which in all likelihood they will be next week. Big club? We're not. Haven't been for a good few years,

All the Ashley and Wise apologists (you know who you are), and those that thought Kinear or Houghtonm were anywhere near good enough, should hang their stupid heads in shame.

Hearing players like Butt and Duff comig out in the papoers "i don't want to get relegated, I'll fight to make sure we don't", then just fucking meandering through games is ludicrous.

Premier League? You're having a laugh.

Who on earth actually claimed that Kinnear or Houghton were good enough? Seriously....

You should have learned by now that "people" don't actually have to have thought something for NM to retrospectively have a go at them.

We were as good as Fulham really, except for letting in that soft goal. After that it was much easier for them, obviously.

That's the thing that really drives home how bad we are for me. For a team as average (at best) as Fulham to be on the brink of qualifying for Europe and us to be so far behind them really highlights just how pathetic we've been this season.

I respect what Hodgson has done there, they've come on leaps and bounds, but if they come top 7 and qualify for Europe I think they'll be the poorest side to have done so since the inception of the premier league (apart from possibly us under GR).

That's the thing that really drives home how bad we are for me. For a team as average (at best) as Fulham to be on the brink of qualifying for Europe and us to be so far behind them really highlights just how pathetic we've been this season.

I respect what Hodgson has done there, they've come on leaps and bounds, but if they come top 7 and qualify for Europe I think they'll be the poorest side to have done so since the inception of the premier league (apart from possibly us under GR).

I was gonna say - it's an example of the league this year. Fulham are a tidy side but mid-table quality. Tottenham will probably complain if they get the 7th spot. Teams seem to be going along with a fairly [carragher]lackadaisy[/carragher] attitude.

Hmmm... without trawling back through the comments my musings (from Level 7 without being able to suffer the indignation of watching the highlights):

Seemingly good goal disallowed and dubious red card at best. The player was going away from the area, had to be yellow with stern warning in my view, but then again Bassong's luck had to run out at some point this season. Thought Webb was shite, allowed Fulham to time waste throughout the second half and got the major decisions wrong. Got the feeling he wanted to have us as a 'scalp', so he can say he was the referee in the game when Newcastle were effectively relegated. I realise that sounds massively conspiracy theorist but I don't care.

We were the better team. Created more chances, even when down to 10 men matched Fulham and they only had a few clear cut chances at the end when we were desperately pushing forward. That said, very very average match. Nolan is like a fucking tanker, unbelievably slow, I can only defend Jonas so much, he just doesn't possess the killer cross / confidence to shoot that we need. In our team he doesn't work, which is not to say he's not good enough, just not right for us at this time, sadly. Guthrie looked more likely than most in my view and i was a bit gutted he got taken off. Duff was fucking dreadful, does he do nothing other than cut inside?

Atmosphere was a little on the disappointing side but understandable. Only real irritation was the tourists the row in front laughing and giggling as the end approached and then following the final whistle. I understand that they're a necessary evil for our revenue stream but fuck me it's not what you need at that point in time.

All in all a very expensive, frustrating and disappointing day. Still had a fucking great weekend though, always feels like home as i pull into Central Station, people are quality and the city... as always amazing. I Love London but this weekend made me remember just why i always want to settle in Newcastle. As for Manchester and Liverpool, give me Newcastle and the Championship ahead of the North West abyss and a few bits of silverware any day. I was reading a book on my way up that discussed a marathon runner's mantra - pain is inevitable but suffering is optional. Going to try and apply that as best I can. It will hurt like hell if we go down but i'll be buying a season ticket and dragging my sorry ass up there every other weekend if we're in the Championship.

We were the better team. Created more chances

Hmmm...I guess goal attempts were pretty much equal. 10-10 and if Fulham had only a few clear cut chances did we then? Can't remember any except Oba's post and Butt's poor effort from an wide open net!

Hitting the post, off the line, disallowed goal, last minute push round the post. That's off the top of my head having been rather drunk through the game and not watching highlights. I may be totally wrong but other than scoring, some long range attempts and the last 5 minutes i don't remember Fulham threatening.