Strange firefox problem

BlueStar

When I go on certain sites in firefox (IGN and ebay are the main two which give me this problem) and open up several pages in tabs, Firefox will randomly decide to say "Looking up xxxx" (ie "looking up ebay.co.uk") and refuse to do anything.  Even if I try to go to a different site, even if it's in a different browser window it will just sit there "looking up".  The only way to continue browsing is to shut down all instances of firefox and restart it.  If I open another instance of firefox I just get "Looking up google.com" (My homepage).

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Updated and it's still the same - I've got a feeling it could be something to do with a bit of tinkering I did which was supposed to make it faster by totally hammering the website with requests.  Wish I could remember what I did so I could change it back.

Updated and it's still the same - I've got a feeling it could be something to do with a bit of tinkering I did which was supposed to make it faster by totally hammering the website with requests.  Wish I could remember what I did so I could change it back.

http://forevergeek.com/open_source/make_firefox_faster.php

Hooray!  Changed those things back and I think that's cracked it.  I think certain sites didn't take too kindly to me twatting them with 64 requests a second.