Today's game - A summary of the season to date?

The Prophet

Monday was all about relief. The final whistle brought feelings of joy and hope, a feeling not felt since that draw at Manchester United on the opening day, but today summed up the rest of the season for me. We were let down by bad luck a lack of relief and most importantly a lack of back bone.

The win on Monday should of been a stepping stone to safety. Fulham are a superior team to us but given the right performance we are more than capable of turning them over, we just needed to believe. From kick off there was a strangely negative atmosphere around the ground. It might of been anxiety, nervousness or apprehension but it wasn't good. It never really got any better either and that's no surprise given the lacklustre performance of the players. The atmosphere and the performance tend to go hand in hand but today the players gave the fans nothing and the spectators returned the favour with only rare glimpses of the atmosphere on Monday night.

Of course it could of been oh so different if that decision had gone our way. Some ref's would have given it some wouldn't, but any home fan in such a high stakes game would expect that decision to be given in favour of their team whatever the occasion. Put it this way if that had of been in front of the Kop, or the Stretford end I'd of expected an entirely different result. You win some, you lose some and it was decision typically given against a team in our position. As for the Bassong decision I can have no complaints, the lad made a poorly calculated mistake that put our backs even further to the wall, it was really poor from a one of the more consistent performers this season.

But what disappointed me more than anything was our absolute lack of any kind of back bone. We approached the game with a pedestrian pace and were an absolute shadow of the side we saw on Monday. Just like so many times this season we were let down by a lack of conviction, the want of trying. That pretty sums up far too much of our season for and that if anything will send us down. Now we need a miracle, it’s going to the wire and the players have no one to blame but themselves.

Monday was all about relief. The final whistle brought feelings of joy and hope, a feeling not felt since that draw at Manchester United on the opening day, but today summed up the rest of the season for me. We were let down by bad luck a lack of relief and most importantly a lack of back bone.

The win on Monday should of been a stepping stone to safety. Fulham are a superior team to us but given the right performance we are more than capable of turning them over, we just needed to believe. From kick off there was a strangely negative atmosphere around the ground. It might of been anxiety, nervousness or apprehension but it wasn't good. It never really got any better either and that's no surprise given the lacklustre performance of the players. The atmosphere and the performance tend to go hand in hand but today the players gave the fans nothing and the spectators returned the favour with only rare glimpses of the atmosphere on Monday night.

Of course it could of been oh so different if that decision had gone our way. Some ref's would have given it some wouldn't, but any home fan in such a high stakes game would expect that decision to be given in favour of their team whatever the occasion. Put it this way if that had of been in front of the Kop, or the Stretford end I'd of expected an entirely different result. You win some, you lose some and it was decision typically given against a team in our position. As for the Bassong decision I can have no complaints, the lad made a poorly calculated mistake that put our backs even further to the wall, it was really poor from a one of the more consistent performers this season.

But what disappointed me more than anything was our absolute lack of any kind of back bone. We approached the game with a pedestrian pace and were an absolute shadow of the side we saw on Monday. Just like so many times this season we were let down by a lack of conviction, the want of trying. That pretty sums up far too much of our season for and that if anything will send us down. Now we need a miracle, it’s going to the wire and the players have no one to blame but themselves.

I honestly didn't see too much of a fault in the way we started the game. Had we started closing down everything right off the bat, we'd be depleted after 70 minutes ala Portsmouth, and Fulham are in every way a much more efficient side than Portsmouth.

And to answer the question on the topic, no I don't think it is. We deserved to win this game and didn't; the summary of the season's more like we were shit, and deserved to be down here.

Guest aoliversaknob

We were undone by a average well orgnised team who played with heart, commitment, pace and skill in the correct areas of the pitch. Unfortunatley we are quite simply a very poor team. The table does not lie after 37 games.

Gross mismangament from the executive beyond belief.

But players also have to look themsleves in the mirror. I foolishly hold onto the belief that elite footballers need elite football management inorder to be successful, as in the main, they turn into over paid underperforming money grabbing bastards with out the correct managment. However in our case I believe we have squad of too many underperforming money grabbing bastards and irrespective of the mananger we a simply collectively not good enough.

Cul the lot of them and start again.

Only positive i can take is that im glad we're not middlesborough & that only a draw could still keep us up.

I think its far more likely hull will lose to man u

Little problem we have is Manure have a little game midweek and i know they are pro football players and all that but avoiding injury will be a big concern and the chink of light i can see is they squad players coming in a trying to impress the boss ,for me Hull have nothing to lose and so much to gain .