YOU'RE the manager - what would you do?

Guest guinness_fiend
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest guinness_fiend

Right, I've been thinking about this for a few hours now.

At the end of the day, in our hearts not many of us really believed that the team would win today.  A draw, perhaps, but not a win.  Fulham have been playing quite well of late and, crappy decisions by that idiot Webb aside, the result did not really shock anyone.

Even Hull drawing against Bolton was not a major shock, as I think that Bolton have now drawn their last four games.

Anyway, we are now in a position where Hull are a point above us with a worse goal difference, with one game left and it has been well documented on this forum that we are playing Villa next week, with Hull playing Manchester United's under-13s.

According to the form guide, out of their last six games Villa have drawn four, won one and lost one.  Manure have won five and drawn one. 

What I want to know is - what tactic would you choose to adopt next week if you were the manager.  Would you play for the draw, knowing that an open game would suit Villa, who are strong on the counterattack and rely on Manure beating Hull.  Would you play for the win, balls to the wall, and go out with a bang - just in case Hull scrape a point?  What would YOU do?

I have to be honest, I would be inclined to play for the draw and play one striker up front (Martins, with Viduka on the bench) and only change that if Villa took the lead.  An open game would suit Villa, who have pace on the wings and I have seen us concede too many goals this season due to our stop-motion defence.  I cannot see Hull getting a point against Manure and I could not bear to get relegated even if Hull lose.

Your call.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/m/images/mike-bassett-england-manager-1.jpg

Guest Heneage

Attack, attack, attack fuck anything else, tell them that its not about just NUFC anymore its about them looking like twats and getting relegated and having that on their CV.

Guest alankhaw

We have relied on other teams too much thus far and are in our position we are in now because of it. Time to take responsibilities for our own mistakes and go for the win ourselves. Easier said than done

All out attack. If Hull and/or Sunderland were losing I wouldn't trust our team to hold out for a draw/win. Shearer should register himself as a player for the last game if that's still possible. If we needed to hold on to the scoreline for the last 10 minutes I'd prefer it if it was him time wasting at the opposition corner flag.

Love it how this poll has showed how much people know about tactics.  Lets look at Fulham and most of the goals against us at home.  Quick break beating the offside trap or when our players are out of position. But sure lets all out attack and lose  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Guest guinness_fiend

Love it how this poll has showed how much people know about tactics.  Lets look at Fulham and most of the goals against us at home.  Quick break beating the offside trap or when our players are out of position. But sure lets all out attack and lose  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Whilst I would love to go out all guns blazing, I would be scared to do so.  I really do not have much confidence in our offside trap or recovery after an attack.

As if we could go to an away game, play defensively and try and play out a result. We'd have made ten defensive mistakes by the 25th minute.

Attack is the answer, it's the only thing we're not totally rubbish at. If we lose we are relegated, if we draw there's a big chance we're relegated. Victory is our best chance so victory is our only answer.

Guest LucaAltieri

Measured attacking play. We'll probably only need a point but we'll increase our chances significantly if we score first.

If we go all out, don't score, then Villa have the pace to destroy us on the break. They really will butt-fuck us dry if we're sitting too high up the field.

If Villa score first we're as good as relegated.

Do you really think that Dowie has that much influence over Shearer?

Have a look on the touchline. It's all well and good asking for advice due to how new Shearer is to management, but on the touchline I expect leadership from our manager.

Guest thebigfella

attack,attack,attackattackattack

cant even belive you asked this!!!! WE NEED THE WIN!!!!

Guest leon b

I say play for the win but play inteligently. If we try to go gung ho at Villa, they will tear us up. Villa will exploit us if we are naive, we would like to win but it's not absolutely paramount.