Newcastle United's real problem this season...

Guest Heneage

Guest Heneage

..we've lacked a flair player in midfield.

If you go back through the seasons we've always had that entertainer,a player that while not always sound defensively but could turn a game, be it with a sublime pass or a tremendous solo effort, the type of player that could swing a dead ball in or cut a defence open with dribbling.

The Robert's the Solano's, Beardsley's, Dyer to a lesser extent and even further back your Ginola.

The central midfielders we have are all good enough but way to defensive, they are good workers but they just don't have that creative flair. It still saddens me we never went for Elano, and its why I think so many love Jonas, yes he rarely actually delivers but he at least attacks, he runs at defenders he tries to beat his man, when so many of our midfielders pass sideways or backwards.

And this to an extent is why the lack of Barton pisses me off, don't get me wrong he is no Zola or Zidane, but for all he's worth the lad can pick a pass, he can create opportunities, he has what my Dad would call "A footballing brain" he can see the opportunities and the spaces.

Guest firetotheworks

If you go back through the seasons we've always had that entertainer,a player that while not always sound defensively but could turn a game, be it with a sublime pass or a tremendous solo effort, the type of player that could swing a dead ball in or cut a defence open with dribbling.

The Robert's the Solano's, Beardsley's, Dyer to a lesser extent and even further back your Ginola.

The central midfielders we have are all good enough but way to defensive, they are good workers but they just don't have that creative flair. It still saddens me we never went for Elano, and its why I think so many love Jonas, yes he rarely actually delivers but he at least attacks, he runs at defenders he tries to beat his man, when so many of our midfielders pass sideways or backwards.

And this to an extent is why the lack of Barton pisses me off, don't get me wrong he is no Zola or Zidane, but for all he's worth the lad can pick a pass, he can create opportunities, he has what my Dad would call "A footballing brain" he can see the opportunities and the spaces.

Describing players/clubs in a plural way. *SHUDDER*

That aside. Yes.

While I agree we lack a flair player, I don't think any of our midfield players are good enough, perhaps save Guthrie and Guitierez on occassion. Nicky Butt is 3 years past it, Nolan is awful, Taylor mediocre, Duff's legs have gone, Barton a waste of space and Geremi see Duff.  We lack flair but we also lack pace, real pace, both to get forward and to track back.  Nolan for instance couldn't track back quick enough if his life depended on it.

Guest Heneage

I mean where's Geremi? For all the shite, I give the man credit he puts a good cross in now and again.

I mean where's Geremi? For all the s****, I give the man credit he puts a good cross in now and again.

absolutely, i've been advocating a place for Geremi in the starting lineup since last summer, it's never happened though, without injuries

Had we had Geremi in place of Nicky Butt all season we'd have 45 points now

yes we had lacked creativity in midfeld but thats not the real problem....selling our best players is.

Best keeper in the league virtually given away to the richest club in the world and sold on credit!! unbeliveable

Milner, the only right sided midfielder (Geremi doesn't count!) sold and not replaced

N'Zogbia, bit of an attitude, player who needed an arm around and loved but he was the best left winger at the club and gave us an attacking outlet on the break with his pace,  pace that is severely lacking.

Emre sold, only midfielder we had who could create something, not replaced.

If Given and Milner were still here we wouldn't be on the brink of relegation.

Guest Heneage

I mean where's Geremi? For all the s****, I give the man credit he puts a good cross in now and again.

absolutely, i've been advocating a place for Geremi in the starting lineup since last summer, it's never happened though, without injuries

Had we had Geremi in place of Nicky Butt all season we'd have 45 points now

Even early on he just worked, with a younger body around him he just played the simple passes didn't go too far past the half way line.

Guest firetotheworks

Describing players/clubs in a plural way. *SHUDDER*

That aside. Yes.

Not plural though... Possessive apparently.

Noted. *SHUDDER* squared.

Nixypoos had an Alf Garnett moment in this post. ;D

yes we had lacked creativity in midfeld but thats not the real problem....selling our best players is.

Best keeper in the league virtually given away to the richest club in the world and sold on credit!! unbeliveable

Milner, the only right sided midfielder (Geremi doesn't count!) sold and not replaced

N'Zogbia, bit of an attitude, player who needed an arm around and loved but he was the best left winger at the club and gave us an attacking outlet on the break with his pace,  pace that is severely lacking.

Emre sold, only midfielder we had who could create something, not replaced.

If Given and Milner were still here we wouldn't be on the brink of relegation.

agreed - no width, no invention, little pace, zero motivation =relegation

Ashley and his cronies he brought them in including Kinnear, tried to run the club without direction, lack of decision making and poor investment, now his investment shrinks further, deserves all he is about to receive, poor attendances next season, losing money on players whose contract is up and will not play in the championship league plus the purchase of players who are absolute tosh.

I'm sure this is why Shearer was so furious with Barton at the way he got himself sent off. He was our best hope of avoiding the drop and he chucks the chance away just to settle some petty feud.

Thing is our CM's aren't even good defensively, bar Alan Smith perhaps. Nicky Butt, our anchor and defensive cover spends half of his time sprinting about leaving a huge hole where he should have been and he doesn't have the legs to get back, and Nolan is too fat to cover him well enough so then teams have a mass of space to play in. Yesterday at half time i would have taken Butt/Nolan off put Guthrie in the middle and stuck Loven out wide. A huge part of yesterday's problem is that we didn't play a winger on the right making our attacks even more predictable, and although Loven's best position is a striker he wouldn't have kept drifting in spreading Fulham out and making space for our strikers.

I was tearing my hair out when Guthrie came off because although Nolan's alright in attack, he doesn't quite have the vision to play through balls, Guthrie does, he's the next best after Barton and i can't fathom why he doesn't start in the middle above everyone else.

Guest DarkSchneider

Nacho getting crooked for good... I think he was ment to be our creative one.

Guest DarkSchneider

Not using Geremi (I think that he could be the provider Owen needed) and he could actualy be a threat from free kicks