Will we come straight back up??

Steggy

Guest LucaAltieri

I think this is more than a simple yes/no question.

If we go down, keep every single player, get people fit, Shearer still in charge... yeah, we'll come straight back up.

But all that won't happen. There are too many variables.

Not sure.

We'd retain some good players (for that league, anyway) and would theoretically have our pick of players as comfortably the biggest club down there.

Then again we'd be a Cup final every week for the rest, and they'd be trying harder against us than anyone else.

Too many unknowns at the present.  Who will be the manager next season?  What players will we have?  Who will own the club? 

The present squad would be unsuited to the championship and other teams will up their game against us.  Of all the teams in the relegation zone, we would be the least equipped to come back plus there are the also-rans from the CCC who may improve next year.

If we were to splash the cash, then I would see us as a more attractive proposition to players in that league than other teams but no doubt as usual, prices would be inflated for us.

Very pessimistic I am afraid.

how about this for a championship team?

Foster

R.Taylor  Kadar  Edgar  Tozer

LuaLua  Geremi  Butt  Donaldson

Ameobi  Carroll  

so to answer your question, no.

That's assuming we make no signings at all, of course.

Just answered on this in another thread.

Im not sure we would atall. Very hard to tell.

Its very very hard to visualize a Newcastle side consistantly beating most sides in the league. Even championship standard.

Any form of consistancy apart from being crap hasnt been seen in a long time.

Even at championship level, i can imagine us slipping up...few bad results...lots of pressure....unlikely

Not sure.

We'd retain some good players (for that league, anyway) and would theoretically have our pick of players as comfortably the biggest club down there.

Then again we'd be a Cup final every week for the rest, and they'd be trying harder against us than anyone else.

This.

I also think that we'd need to sign some good championship players I.E. Chris Brunt, Jason Scotland, Joe Ledley...

Foster

Ameobi  Carroll  

That's assuming we make no signings at all, of course.

yeah but it's no fun just writing "new LB" etc.

Foster

Ameobi  Carroll  

we'd be talking about avoiding relegation to league one with that firxt XI!

a lot depends on how we start the season - will we have a settled and balanced squad, a manager with real authority etc or will the inevitable upheaval and torment damage our first few months in the championship. if it is the former we will have a good chance of making the playoffs at least, whereas the latter could keep us on our downward spiral.

Guest firetotheworks

The players leaving that I see being potentially very good is whats going to get me. Enrique, Jonas, Bassong.  :undecided:

At least we'll get to see Carroll and Ranger tear it up, though.

Stupid question to ask really.  I think this questioned should be asked once we know who the manager is and what the first team squad looks like.

We aren't relegated yet but its looking fucking likely.

i've got a bad feeling in the event of going down, there'll be plenty of people sniffing about the club hoping to get it on the cheap from ashley which would lead to another summer of uncertainty with no continuity

hopefully ashley won't want rid on the cheap

i've got a bad feeling in the event of going down, there'll be plenty of people sniffing about the club hoping to get it on the cheap from ashley which would lead to another summer of uncertainty with no continuity

This summer is going to be bonkers anyway what with possible talk of Kinnear coming back, player departures etc

This summer is going to be bonkers anyway what with possible talk of Kinnear coming back, player departures etc

oh jesus you said the K word... :(

well yeah, i've assumed that that isn't gonna happen but with ashley it could i suppose - what would concern me is if he's fucking about trying to flog the club then we end up with 2nd or 3rd choice players and really struggle again

if a sale isn't realistic then at least they should be pulling in the same direction