If we go down, We Will Have Been the Best Supported Team to be Relegated

Guest neesy111

Guest neesy111

from nufc.com

The completion of our home programme for the season means that the annual calculation of our SJP league

attendance total and average can now be performed.

This season, 926,244 fans officially witnessed our nineteen home games, at an average of 48,750.

And while the stats below will doubtless be interpreted in some quarters as evidence of our diminishing home support, it's confirmation in our eyes of the loyalty

that has been shown up to this point - despite a clear

and ongoing seasonal decline in wins and goals scored.

By our calculations, relegation would give us the dubious record of being the club with the largest average crowd ever to be relegated in England:

Top five average home crowds for relegated

sides (all from top flight):

Manchester United 1973/74 42,712

Sheffield Wednesday 1950/51  41,222

Everton 1950/51  42,924

Liverpool 1953/54  40,488

mackems 2002/03  39,698

NUFC - average home crowds and home records

(Premier League only - 19 games per season)

2008/09: 5 wins, 7 draws, 7 defeats, scored 24

2008/09: 926,244 total, average of 48,750

2007/08: 8 wins, 5 draws, 6 defeats, scored 25

2007/08: 975,093 total, average of 51,321

2006/07: 7 wins, 7 draws, 5 defeats, scored 22

2006/07: 963,036 total, average of 50,686

2005/06: 11 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats, scored 28

2005/06: 988,609 total, average of 52,032

2004/05: 7 wins, 7 draws, 5 defeats, scored 25

2004/05: 985,040 total, average of 51,844

2003/04: 11 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats, scored 33

2003/04: 987,358 total, average of 51,966

2002/03: 15 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats, scored 36

2002/03: 986,479 total, average of 51,920

2001/02: 12 wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats, scored 40

2001/02: 976,079 total, average of 51,373

2000/01: 10 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats, scored 26

2000/01: 974,874 total, average of 51,309

We've not gone any further back than this as 2000/01 marks the re-opening of SJP with a 50K+ capacity.

However, here are some NUFC league home averages

from other pivotal seasons:

1988/89: 22,907 (relegation)

1980/81: 16,001 (lowest post-war)

1977/78: 24,729 (relegation)

1960/61: 26,500 (relegation)

1947/48: 56,283 (promotion, highest post-war)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

to every season ticket and fan, shows that we are the best supporters

never have jumped on this "we are the best supporters" bandwagon. how can you rank how good a teams fans are? yes we as fans are certainly amongst the most passionate around. but, spare a thought for those who travel up and down the whole country supporting conference and below teams? surely they are the best fans? and just because the likes of  fulham and wigan have small fanbases doesnt mean that ours is neccessarily "better" than theres

never have jumped on this "we are the best supporters" bandwagon. how can you rank how good a teams fans are? yes we as fans are certainly amongst the most passionate around. but, spare a thought for those who travel up and down the whole country supporting conference and below teams? surely they are the best fans? and just because the likes of  fulham and wigan have small fanbases doesnt mean that ours is neccessarily "better" than theres

Just in terms of name recognition/size of fanbase/cultural significance though, there has never been a club anywhere near the size of Newcastle United that has been relegated in the Premiership era.

I'd actually find this situation kind of interesting if it wasn't affecting me directly.

Guest neesy111

Just in terms of name recognition/size of fanbase/cultural significance though, there has never been a club anywhere near the size of Newcastle United that has been relegated in the Premiership era.

I'd actually find this situation kind of interesting if it wasn't affecting me directly.

it just shows how bad the situation is that we find ourselves

A propos of nothing in this thread, other than the use of the term (and not even referring to you, oldtype) but I love the way the term Premiership Era gets bandied about.

Its like Sky telling us "we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before " over and over, and eventually, we've all started perpetuating it.

Of course, the irony being that, if football before then counted for nothing, then Sky's second choice darlings Liverpool have never won the league.

it just shows how bad the situation is that we find ourselves

Man City, Notts Forrest are up there

A propos of nothing in this thread, other than the use of the term (and not even referring to you, oldtype) but I love the way the term Premiership Era gets bandied about.

Its like Sky telling us "we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before we got the rights then, it didn't exist before " over and over, and eventually, we've all started perpetuating it.

Of course, the irony being that, if football before then counted for nothing, then Sky's second choice darlings Liverpool have never won the league.

I just think the "Premiership Era" distinction is significant because clubs that were "too big to be relegated" simply didn't exist before it.

I just think the "Premiership Era" distinction is significant because clubs that were "too big to be relegated" simply didn't exist before it.

I see what you mean, but disagree.

You're right in that nowadays, the financial aspect has cushioned big clubs against relegation far more than they ever were before, but even back then the "too big to go down" thing still existed.

In my life time I remember Man United in the second division. When we went down to the third, it was unthinkable. My great grandad used to tell me that when we first went down to the second, it was unthinkable.

You're right in that nowadays, the financial aspect has cushioned big clubs against relegation far more than they ever were before, but even back then the "too big to go down" thing still existed.

In my life time I remember Man United in the second division. When we went down to the third, it was unthinkable. My great grandad used to tell me that when we first went down to the second, it was unthinkable.

You'd know better than I do I suppose. :)

You'd know better than I do I suppose. :)

I remember the war and everything.

Well, I don't.

Well, i do remember the Falklands. And Vietnam being on the news. ;-)

Personally I don't give a rat's cock.  We have had a bunch of overpaid, gutless, mercenaries playing for....  well fuck all, if you can call it playing.  The same gutless fuckers will have been been trying to arrange a move for the past few months via their agents rather than putting in actual effort to keep us up as they are' too good to play in the Championship'.  Big club, big support, fuck off!

Big T  :thup:

I'm guilty of it but it's just because it almost coincides with my life.  First season i remember is 94/95.

And I thought Everton had had over 100 years of top flight football?

Guest sittingontheball

The fans sounded a bit flat this past Saturday against Fulham to be claiming any "best fans" tag. From my tv watching in another country, that is.

I'm guilty of it but it's just because it almost coincides with my life.  First season i remember is 94/95.

And I thought Everton had had over 100 years of top flight football?

The "fact" is that football post Sky/Premiership is a completely different game to what came before it. Its almost unrecognisable in many ways