Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

No real surprise. :weep:

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/05/21/Exclusive-Bassong-on-future-and-Shearer/gnid-53764/

Speaking to setanta.com, Sebastien Bassong has hinted that he could leave Newcastle if they are relegated from The Premier League.

While The Magpies are preparing for the great escape, Bassong has backed his team to play out the game of their lives on Sunday afternoon without him, away at Aston Villa.

The Frenchman understands that his side have a slim chance of retaining their Premier League status next season, and has spoken honestly about his future.

The former Metz defender wants to capitalise on his promising debut season, and has confessed that playing in The Championship was never part of his plans.

The talented centre back has been linked to a summer move to Arsenal, but even if he is flattered by the reports, he understands that The Gunners have not enquired about him.

“In the case that Newcastle go down, then I would have to hold talks with the club after the last game of the season,” Bassong told setanta.com.

“Everybody knows that I am an ambitious boy, and playing Championship football never crossed my mind.

“You have to have a plan for your career, and playing in the second division would be a step backward.

“I spoke about Arsenal with some journalists because, like you, I read about their possible interest in me in the press, but it is just a rumour launched by the media, there is probably nothing.”

Bassong is a huge admirer of Alan Shearer and he has defended the inexperienced manager against his detractors.

The defender has hailed the Newcastle legend’s charisma and backed him to extend his stay at St James’ Park and remain in charge next season.

“I hope that Alan Shearer will stay, whatever happens on Sunday,” Bassong added. “I understand that he likes the job and is enjoying his time as manager.

“Of course he uses his charisma, status and experience as a player, but it helps him transmit his message to the squad.

“Obviously some managers are more about tactics than him, but he makes you forget his so-called lack of experience as a coach thanks to his experience on the pitch.”

:(

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

he's achieved precisely nothing in the game and appears not to be particularly willing to stick around for a season to help get us back up, can't recall there being a queue beating a path to his door when he was relegated last season myself

he's a symptom of the wider disease in football, they think they've made it before they have - i was hoping for more from him, at 22 or whatever he is it's hardly like it'd be his last chance of a move is it?

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

he's achieved precisely nothing in the game and appears not to be particularly willing to stick around for a season to help get us back up, can't recall there being a queue beating a path to his door when he was relegated last season myself

he's a symptom of the wider disease in football, they think they've made it before they have - i was hoping for more from him, at 22 or whatever he is it's hardly like it'd be his last chance of a move is it?

As the article states though, he'll probably want to try capitalise on this season. Stay with us in the lower leagues and it won't be long before he's forgotten about once again. And that might be it for his chances of playing at the very top level. 22 is no age in the real world but generally in football now you need to be identifed by this point.

cant blame the lad.

we nabbed him from metz cause they went down, so fully expect him to move on if we go down

The Championship is a bigger league then the French top division though :lol:

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

As the article states though, he'll probably want to try capitalise on this season. Stay with us in the lower leagues and it won't be long before he's forgotten about once again. And that might be it for his chances of playing at the very top level.

he performs in the first division he'd get his move, same difference - i'm suggesting as fans we shouldn't be so easy in wishing the lad all the best to have to watch him shine for someone else

i understand why, he's been our best player through a season of shit, personally i'd like to see a player want to play for US for a fucking change & not act like it's the end of the world when a setback takes place

Guest toonlass

Great player this season, wouldn't blame him if he did leave, but it would be nice if he would put off thinking about his own career until after Sunday.

Why? He won't be involved on Sunday anyway so it makes no odds.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

As the article states though, he'll probably want to try capitalise on this season. Stay with us in the lower leagues and it won't be long before he's forgotten about once again. And that might be it for his chances of playing at the very top level.

he performs in the first division he'd get his move, same difference - i'm suggesting as fans we shouldn't be so easy in wishing the lad all the best to have to watch him shine for someone else

i understand why, he's been our best player through a season of shit, personally i'd like to see a player want to play for US for a fucking change & not act like it's the end of the world when a setback takes place

How many 23-24 year olds have Arsenal (assuming they have any interest in him) bought from the Championship lately? Genuine question.

I understand your point completely like; we'd all love to see our best players come out and say they're sticking with us (or say nothing) but it simply doesn't work like that any more. They hold all the power, and the club has to convince them to stay.

It's not the end of the world for us as we don't have a choice. He does.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

Sucessful top flight clubs (Everton, Lille) were after him after last season and even more successful top flight club will be after him if we go down. He has absolutely no reason to play in the Championship and if he leaves for that reason I will have nothing against him.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

How many 23-24 year olds have Arsenal (assuming they have any interest in him) bought from the Championship lately? Genuine question.

I understand your point completely like; we'd all love to see our best players come out and say they're sticking with us (or say nothing) but it simply doesn't work like that any more. They hold all the power, and the club has to convince them to stay.

good question, no idea, and they haven't bought bassong yet nor would i let them if i was in charge for less than 10m

if shearer stays i think a few unexpecteds might hang on for a season, i'm hoping bassong is one but the noises aren't great already - we just need to make sure we get a ridiculous fee for him

you see what i'm saying, i can forgive given personally 'cause he earned the "right" through some shitty times; bassongs not even played a full season in the first team and we're all wishing him the best and kissing him goodbye 'cause he did so well?  fuck that

someone used the term battered housewifes for a lot of people on here and i agree, why let another player walk all over the club when we need him and some loyalty?

shearer stays and wants to sell him to boost the squad then no bother, it's time we stopped letting these fuckbags piss on the B & W shirt though

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

Sucessful top flight clubs (Everton, Lille) were after him after last season and even more successful top flight club will be after him if we go down. He has absolutely no reason to play in the Championship and if he leaves for that reason I will have nothing against him.

joleon lescott...

Guest guinness_fiend

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

i understand why, he's been our best player through a season of s***, personally i'd like to see a player want to play for US for a f***ing change & not act like it's the end of the world when a setback takes place

This is wrong, as if Bassong wants a move abroad, it is almost unheard of for foreign teams to buy from Championship clubs.  A move to a Premiership club, perhaps, if he is deemed good enough (the jury is still out on this), but Dave is right imo.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

i understand why, he's been our best player through a season of s***, personally i'd like to see a player want to play for US for a f***ing change & not act like it's the end of the world when a setback takes place

This is wrong, as if Bassong wants a move abroad, it is almost unheard of for foreign teams to buy from Championship clubs.  A move to a Premiership club, perhaps, if he is deemed good enough (the jury is still out on this), but Dave is right imo.

er, yeah, it's likely wrong if he only wants to move abroad but since when has that been mooted like?  i've only heard of the arsenal interest and wenger would buy from the championship no bother

Guest guinness_fiend

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

er, yeah, it's likely wrong if he only wants to move abroad but since when has that been mooted like?  i've only heard of the arsenal interest and wenger would buy from the championship no bother

Not being awkward, but how many players has Wenger bought from the Championship.  I've not heard anything from any Premiership clubs bar speculation.  It's no surprise that Wenger has been linked, as he gets linked to every young French player going. 

And I didn't say that he *only* wants a move abroad. 

In any event, if he wants to go, we should let him.  We might need the cash come September and need to buy players who want to stay with us.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

Not being awkward, but how many players has Wenger bought from the Championship.  I've not heard anything from any Premiership clubs bar speculation.  It's no surprise that Wenger has been linked, as he gets linked to every young French player going. 

In any event, if he wants to go, we should let him.  We might need the cash come September and need to buy players who want to stay with us.

walcott?  were southampton down then?  the lad from cardiff also

as your bit in bold i just can't agree unless it's a managerial decision to let him go for the good of the squad, the club are bigger and better than any player maybe it's time we remembered that a little more often

Guest guinness_fiend

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

as your bit in bold i just can't agree unless it's a managerial decision to let him go for the good of the squad, the club are bigger and better than any player maybe it's time we remembered that a little more often

2 then.  Ok, I was just checking.  I genuinely couldn't remember.

As for it being a managerial decision, I wish you were right.  Players have more power than ever before, like it or not.  Bassong could, for instance, simply refuse to play and the courts cannot force him to play.  Sure, we could make him rot in the reserves, but he would become a depreciating asset, which is why players who want to move invariably get their move sooner rather than later.

And who can blame him.

me, pretty poor tbh

2 then.  Ok, I was just checking.  I genuinely couldn't remember.

As for it being a managerial decision, I wish you were right.  Players have more power than ever before, like it or not.  Bassong could, for instance, simply refuse to play and the courts cannot force him to play.  Sure, we could make him rot in the reserves, but he would become a depreciating asset, which is why players who want to move invariably get their move sooner rather than later.

i know all that dude, this is what i'm saying: if we go down we say to bassong "give us a season of your best and if we don't go up we'll let you go for Xm.  you also get a payrise of X p/w"

he says no and refuses to play let him rot, chances are he'd say yes assuming it was shearer who offered the deal

why just lay down like lambs to the slaughter, "oh you want to leave seba?  righto then we'll look up you from the championship, best of luck son"

fuck that

Ideally he'd stay, yeah.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect it though should an established Prem team come in for him.

We should make a point of not getting relegated this Sunday, he'll probably stay then.

Ideally he'd stay, yeah.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect it though should an established Prem team come in for him.

We should make a point of not getting relegated this Sunday, he'll probably stay then.

why is it suddenly unrealistic to reject a bid?  tell arsenal to beat it, he's not for sale?  or whoever else

it's how you work the player that matters, man-management - again people are acting like he's an established international for whom it would be unthinkable to play a division down, bollocks