Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

Yes they're big earners, but at the same time I'm sure they'd rather play Premiership football as well. They could easily go back up a league because the majority of clubs in the lower half of the table would probably be prepared to take the risk with them.

They would have to take a lower wage to get up a division, hence why they are wanting to stay here.

Meh, frenchman in throw toys and the pram and turn's his back on toon shocker.

Where have havent we seen that before?    :rolleyes:

Shame the good reviews and agents seemed to be getting in his head, he couldnt open his mouth without pure gold coming out until a couple of months ago.

Dont blame him for wanting off, could handle himself better in the public eye though... no suprise if the club have told him he is going nowhere and he clearly wants off. He and his agent clearly would want to put us in the position where we will have to sell.

Thats just modern day french footballers.

Coloccini isn't coming out with this nonsense, depsite being a lot more proven in europe than Bassong

If he had anything about him he would keep it that way after the way he performed last season.

Guest Roger Kint

Would he really do an interview like that whilst away on a moral building training camp? stupid are that he is, or is it his agent? it has quotes but I have came to learn that means fk all.

He doesnt report to training til Monday, he isnt even in Dublin according to .com ;D

Yes they're big earners, but at the same time I'm sure they'd rather play Premiership football as well. They could easily go back up a league because the majority of clubs in the lower half of the table would probably be prepared to take the risk with them.

They would have to take a lower wage to get up a division, hence why they are wanting to stay here.

So basically, everybody should be going on like Bassong then and throwing a hissy fit?

Guest Roger Kint

How do you know its true?

Considering they 'interviewed' him at training i wouldnt start burning effigies yet

So basically, everybody should be going on like Bassong then and throwing a hissy fit?

Bassong wants to move, better league, better pay, international ambitions.

The rest have a nice contract - which won't be bettered elsewhere, winding down their careers and won't accept less than what they are earning now.

That is the difference.

Martins will have international ambitions too. So will the likes of Guthrie and Nolan, and Taylor, and Enrique. Enrique and Martins could easily go to clubs that will match thier pay but they've said they want to stay. What it boils down to is that they have better attitudes whereas somebody else said, all the hype around Bassong seems to have gone to his head.

Martins will have international ambitions too. So will the likes of Guthrie and Nolan, and Taylor, and Enrique. Enrique and Martins could easily go to clubs that will match thier pay but they've said they want to stay. What it boils down to is that they have better attitudes whereas somebody else said, all the hype around Bassong seems to have gone to his head.

Taylor seems to be loyal, and on a great contract.  If he was on Bassong's wage though, would he be that keen on sticking around?

Martins himself admitted he would be interested in playing for Arsenal if he got the chance IIRC,  Nolan has been woeful - biggest contract of his career so far - will someone match it?  Let alone pay a transfer fee.

Isn't it the case that if they come out and say they want to leave they forfeit their loyalty bonus? Could be a factor if that is indeed true. 

:mackems:

There are clubs in Spain and Italy that would be able to give him round about the same sort of wages.

There are clubs in Spain and Italy that would be able to give him round about the same sort of wages.

The only Spanish clubs who could afford to pay him 65k are the ones who have better players already.

Guest kingdawson

Surely Sebastien Bassong is a better player than Michael Dawson?

In fact, isn't Shirley Bassey a better player than Michael Dawson?

I didn't see much of Spurs last year, but he's always struck me as the third chuckle brother, so apologies if he's improved massively last season.

Dawson was excellent when he played last season. Better than Woodgate imo.

I didn't see much of Spurs last year, but he's always struck me as the third chuckle brother, so apologies if he's improved massively last season.

You won't get many on here agreeing with you mind given his performances against us over the last few years. He's a decent defender out of the Terry mould now (i.e. get his head on everything, blood and guts etc.) but if he comes up against someone with pace and skill (i.e. Martins) he's liable to have his arse handed to him. I also think he's quite reliant on confidence.

He impressed me last season,a very much improved player,though he seems a tad injury prone now.

Had a load to say today.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/11/bassong-warns-of-player-exodus-72703-24129140/

Bassong warns of player exodus

Jul 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SEBASTIEN BASSONG has opened his heart to reveal why he wants to leave St James’s Park.

And the French ace has warned there will be a mass exodus of disaffected players from United unless the mess on Tyneside is sorted.

The Chronicle reported on Tuesday night that the club face a players’ revolt unless the situation is cleared up, with many wanting Alan Shearer to be appointed as boss as soon as possible – regardless of who owns the Magpies.

The £500,000 bargain buy from Metz is angered, just like United supporters, about the lack of action since relegation.

And he confessed that the players, like fans, have been kept in the dark over even the slightest movements at the club.

In an explosive interview with the Chronicle Bassong opened up about:

His respect for Big Al and his fears that the United legend will be left in limbo;

His anxieties that players in key positions like Owen and Viduka won’t be replaced;

And how he will use pre-season training to stay in shape in the hope of joining a top-flight club.

And while Bassong will face criticism in some quarters for walking away from the club which put him on the map, other Toon fans will have sympathy for the youngster after he emerged a disillusioned figure from the wreckage of relegation.

In his first official interview since returning from holiday, Bassong was open and honest when he hinted others could join him in the clamber for the exit door. He said: “I think, in this situation, a lot of players will want to leave.

“They cannot stay in this situation.

“I’m not the only one.

“It would be different if a manager was in charge, particularly Alan Shearer, as he knows the club and the team.

“I have a lot of respect for Newcastle and the supporters – everybody knows that.”

Yet Bassong admitted he is appalled that the club are just four weeks away from the start of their Championship opener with West Brom without a manager, an owner or any new players – despite the fact the club has been up for sale for over 40 days.

He said: “The situation at the club is a little bit strange. I don’t know who is going to be the manager or owner.

“That’s why it’s a bit weird.

“I want to play in the Premier League, and I think I deserve to play in the Premier League.”

But Bassong – who returns to the club’s training ground on Monday – confirmed that he wants to leave Tyneside this summer.

He said: “I would like to play in the Premier League with Newcastle but, for the moment, it’s not possible.

“Honestly, I want to leave for my career and my future.

“I think if I was to play in the Championship it would not be a step forward for my career, and that’s why I want to leave.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/11/no-one-at-united-i-can-talk-to-says-seb-72703-24129105/

No-one at United I can talk to, says Seb

Jul 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SEBASTIEN BASSONG says he will continue to work professionally while he is a Newcastle United player.

The £10m-rated defender has already attracted interest from two unnamed foreign clubs, as well as Arsenal, Spurs and moneybags Manchester City, where Shay Given has handed boss Mark Hughes a glowing reference.

The defender would miss United’s first game of the season at West Brom through suspension after his red card against Fulham last season in the decisive 1-0 loss.

Yet although his last act in a black- and-white shirt was walking down the tunnel at Craven Cottage, Bassong says he will give players and coaching staff with the respect they deserve – despite engineering his own move away from Newcastle.

He said: “On Monday, I’m going to be in training. I’m going to start to get myself fit. I need to be fit for this season. I have to work for myself.

“I can’t hide the fact that I have been linked with other clubs, but, for the moment, it’s not really concrete or strong enough to talk about.”

Yet he feels that for the good of the club, no matter who is in charge must appoint a managerial figurehead.

He added: “The situation has to be settled. I need to know who is in charge. It’s a little bit hard to try and find someone to talk with.

“I have got a lot of respect for Alan Shearer but, for the moment, he is not there, and I don’t know if he’s going to be there one day.

“If he was there, I would like to talk with him.”

The farcical situation on Tyneside also left caretaker boss Chris Hughton not knowing which players he had at his disposal when he was summoned to Tyneside at the end of June.

Indeed, such was the state of things at United that Hughton only discovered David Edgar had left when he spotted the Canadian donning a Burnley shirt on TV last week.

Bassong said: “It’s a mess.

“Michael Owen’s gone, Mark Viduka’s contract is over.

“A lot of players are going, and a lot of other players will leave the club.”