Michael Owen - An Apology

Crumpy Gunt

About the retirement story?

Just saw the headline on SSN paper review. I presume it'll be for the retirement stories as mentioned.

There was a headline about it? :ben:

They normally hide away little things like them admitting complete fabrication into tiny columns somewhere in the middle.

Sorry i've fucked you over,firstly when i always scored against you,especially my hand rubbing hat-trick ,and secondly playing for you when you paid me countless millions of pounds when i was well past my best.

That is all.

Sorry i've fucked you over,firstly when i always scored against you,especially my hand rubbing hat-trick ,and secondly playing for you when you paid me countless millions of pounds when i was well past my best.

I'm now going to score the goal that keeps you up, and be remembered as a genuine hero.

That is all.

FYP.

They get the Express in the office (for some reason).

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5120/dsc01232g.jpg

Back page. Presumably he was worried it would affect his efforts to find a new club and threatened legal action.

I'm now going to score the goal that keeps you up, and be remembered as a genuine hero.

That is all.

FYP.

That would go a tiny way,let's hope he produces the goods.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1186765/Des-Kelly-Its-700k-goal-Owen-saying-hes-sorry-Newcastle.html?ITO=1490

It's Owen who should be saying he's sorry

Last updated at 12:08 AM on 23rd May 2009

When I heard there was a Michael Owen apology on the back page of a national newspaper, my first thought was that he was finally saying sorry to the supporters of Newcastle United for the years of underachievement at the club.

It was nothing of the sort. Instead, the player himself was the recipient of a surprisingly prominent mea culpa designed to redress unsubstantiated claims that he was about to retire from the game and concentrate on training horses.

Owen’s form in recent times has been such that there is a natural inclination to lead him to the knacker’s yard and put him out of his misery. And he’s almost there. But not quite yet.

With the striker still at the laughably young age of 29, common sense should have said he would endeavour to play on somewhere for another lucrative season or three before finally putting himself out to stud.

Oddly, however, this newspaper apology (which was in the Daily Express, since you ask) went beyond killing the idea of an early pension, adding: ‘We accept it is too early to speculate about which club Michael might be at next season’.

Really? Says who? And how did that sentence form part of any legal retraction? Is transfer speculation now illegal? If so I can think of a few journalists and agents that might have to quit prematurely, too.

This is the final weekend of the season; Newcastle United are staring into the Championship abyss and the highest-paid player in their shambles of a squad finds himself out of contract once the final whistle blows, whether he participates or not.

How can it be premature to mention that Owen is a free agent and open to offers at 5.45pm tomorrow? If his advisors were concerned at speculation linking him with other clubs before then,perhaps they should not have allowed his contract to run down?

Moreover, I’d guess his agents have probably been speculating more than anyone, since a) that’s their job, and b) their client has been officially entitled to talk to any interested parties abroad since January 1 of this year.

Everton and Celtic are said to be thinking about a pay-as-you-play deal for Owen. Wealthy clubs in Japan and Qatar have had a sniff and America’s MLS is bound to have a look this time, if only to see if they can cash in on his near-Beckhamesque marketability.

I don’t see any reason to apologise for mentioning any of that, either. But he’s been a crock. And if anyone is going to say sorry, perhaps it should be Owen.

The striker has spent nearly four years at St James’ Park without making any sort of impact. He is a pale imitation of the quicksilver, cool-headed sprite we knew and loved when he exploded onto the international scene against Argentina in 1998 while plundering goals in that brilliant first spell at Liverpool.

Obviously, injuries have robbed him of the burst of pace his game was built upon. One setback then leads to another; as an ankle heals, a hamstring snaps. As a knee mends, a groin tears.

But any sympathy Tyneside feels for his blighted career is tempered by the sneaking suspicion that Owen always hurried back for England duty at the expense of his club. They believe Newcastle merely provided a convenient port of call after his exit from Real Madrid.

Inevitably he faces a late fitness test before the club’s decisive game against Aston Villa tomorrow.

It wouldn’t be matchday without an Owen fitness test. The word is he will fail it too. Again. If it all ends in the familiar anticlimax of a physiotherapist’s shake of the head, what sort of return have Newcastle had from Owen?

Since arriving at St James’ Park in August 2005 he has scored 30 goals. On a salary of £120,000 a week, this means he will have collected around £22MILLION from Newcastle in wages, scoring one goal for every £700,000 he has put in the bank.

Nice work if you can get it, especially with a sicknote.

Tomorrow he would have had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to pay all of that back. It would have only taken one goal, one timely strike to preserve Newcastle’s Premier League status.

One moment of heroism would not only have erased all the disappointment but swept away accusations that he owes the club too.

Sadly, he seems likely to be denied the opportunity. And the unlucky Owen, one of the country’s most celebrated goalscorers, will go down in history at Newcastle as an apology for the striker he used to be.

Has to be one of the worst signings we've ever made, been wanting rid of him for years now.

I'll finally get my wish this summer, but the damage has been done.

Piss off, you miserable little gimp.

Has to be one of the worst signings we've ever made, been wanting rid of him for years now.

to be fair it's mainly down to the injuries that weren't his fault

No it isn't.

it is odd how owen's recent disappearance from the side has barely attracted a mention on the forum, in contrast to, say, Martins and his genuine groin injury. but fuck that, owen's been shit for half a year now, and not just out of form, but really shit. he's not even had a good 45 minute spell in that time.

No it isn't.

what is it then.. ?  " he didn't want to be here in the first place" maybe ?

It doesn't surprise me that Captain Cunt has spent most of his little energy fighting press allegations concerning only himself tbh. Newcastle Untied's future is probably a side issue for the precious bastard.

It doesn't surprise me that Captain c*** has spent most of his little energy fighting press allegations concerning only himself tbh. Newcastle Untied's future is probably a side issue for the precious b******.

it always is. Everytime he's quoted he never mentions NUFC. He just defends himself and his ridiculously overrated goal record

Relegation is just a fitting end to this cunts time here, any club who takes this arsehole is insane.

It doesn't surprise me that Captain c*** has spent most of his little energy fighting press allegations concerning only himself tbh. Newcastle Untied's future is probably a side issue for the precious b******.

it always is. Everytime he's quoted he never mentions NUFC. He just defends himself and his ridiculously overrated goal record

programme notes to a huge game and he whinges on about his 'conversion rate'