Comfortably Numb - TF

Wullie

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm

COMFORTABLY NUMB

Tuesday 7th November 2006

Settle down lads and lasses, everything is going to be alright. Shepherd is back from his jollies, he's got his gob on the back of the Ronnie Gill with a mobile pressed to his lug looking like he really means business and his first job on getting back behind his desk at the House of Pain will be to get the players together and shout at them (aka "remind them who they are playing for"). Well, that should do the trick then eh? We've been here before haven't we? It's enough to make you weep!

Can you imagine Sir Alex, Arsene, Jose, Martin O or well, even Roy Keane putting up with this shite? The Chairman laying into the players at this mad-house football club? Just what is all this about?

Standby for some worthless, patronising shit about being a fan, being a Geordie, Rolls Royce wages yap, yap, yap! Is anyone convinced by this garbage?

Those of you who watch the activities of the local press with a mixture of rage, resignation and amusement will have been intrigued by the back page of The Chronicle on Monday night. It was only a fortnight ago the supremely entertaining Alan Oliver was telling us it was only a minority of supporters at The Beasts chanting against Shepherd for a short time. We're also hearing the Bob Murray-esque - if there is someone out there ready to take-over the club, I'll sell up type stuff.

This is a new one. Not so long ago the local media was letting on Shepherd wanted to keep the club and has been acquiring as many shares as he possibly could to strengthen his ownership of the club and get onto parity with the Halls (who are every bit as culpable as Shepherd).

Bit of an about turn today. Call me cynical but ....

I have to say my afternoon cuppa was sprayed up the wall of the tf bunker when I read the line Shepherd has the "best interests of the club at heart". I'm trying to square that with the unending series of bollocks the man has dropped, his musings in a Spanish house of ill repute and massive amounts of money he and others have taken out of Newcastle United down the years. Please. It's all piss and wind. Enough. Tyneside's bull-shit detectors are buzzing into over-drive.

I'm trying my best to be a bit "up" but its just rolling out like gallows (or rather Gallowgate) humour. Saturday night was as bad as anything many of us have ever seen on that pitch on Barrack Road. We've been beaten, we've been outclassed many times before and we will be again but when players stop playing, when internationals pack in putting tackles in and jumping out of challenges, I'm sorry that is straightforward cowardice. Its cheating the public. Its short-changing us. The spats between players and supporters is the strongest indication that this nut-job club of ours could very well be on the point of implosion if we haven't gone beyond that point already. People have every right to get angry and I'm not too upset about players showing their frustrations but supporters who get sanctimonious and write letters of complaint to the club and run to the papers are doing no-one any favours. Let it drop for fuck's sake!

Shite players and clueless coaches aren't the major problem at Newcastle United. They are the symptom of a deeper malaise. All clubs occasionally get stung in the transfer market but I can't see another club do as much bad business as us so consistently. Are any of the nuggets we bring to the club subject to any kind of scouting, character evaluation whatsoever?

What scouting network do we have in place at home and abroad? Why can't we sign the occasional unknown for a modest fee who will go onto be another Darren Bent or Dean Ashton?

Who thinks its great business to sign players with appalling injury records and put them on massive deals?

That just can't stop with the manager acting alone. Can it?

Our Magpie malaise is attracting the attentions of the national media but I have to say some of them are still getting it completely wrong. I had to laugh at Alan Hansen writing in The Telegraph on Monday putting out the cliché we supporters only want to see high-scoring, attacking football a la Kevin Keegan. I don't think there's anything unique in our liking for decent entertaining football but KK left this club almost a decade ago and Hansen is dealing in out-dated clichéd nonsense.

If Hansen cared to take a pew in the Leazes or the Gallowgate he'd learn very quickly that we all want proper defenders. It's fanciful nonsense we don't though I suspect Hansen's theories are rooted in some kind of loyalty to his Liverpool mates - Dalglish and Souness who both did abysmal jobs at Newcastle United. £8:5M for Boumsong? Ever mentioned that to Graeme over a Glenmorangie at Southport Golf Club, pal?

Whilst Roeder's position is obviously and rightly under severe scrutiny, I'd like to ask what Douglas Hall, a director of the club and on the payroll actually does for Newcastle United? I honestly don't know and I really truthfully would like to be enlightened. He's been conspicuous by his silence in these last few difficult weeks and I just wonder if he needs to remember what club he's at (ahem).

Where the club goes from here is unknown. Relegation is a realistic prospect. I don't believe Roeder wanted to start this season with the piss-poor threadbare squad he is at his disposal and I don't really think he wanted to sign Martins, Bernard (what is up with him by the way?), Rossi on-loan and Man City reserve Sibierski to supplement what we thought was a good signing in Duff. But Roeder has what he at his disposal and no change in manager can change that until January when the club must make the correct investments in central defenders, full-backs and a muscular centre-forward with something in the air and a bit of presence to bolster the most light-weight side we've had since we were relegated in '89.

One thing is inescapable. Shepherd has had almost ten years in the Chairman's job - he has worked with Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness and Roeder over that time. A lot of mistakes, a lot of bluster, blunders and our money wasted. He isn't up to the job, he has had more opportunities to fail than he ever should have been allowed. Our Chairman is a liability in my opinion.

Shepherd Out!

Our money  :roll:

Yes our money. Unlike buying goods from the supermarkerts, most fans don't just buy tickets to watch the game, they fork out the money because they see it as an investment towards the club so that the club will have the finances to do well and improve. That's the only way to explain why people keep on buying tickets despite the extortionist prices, its definitely not for the entertainment value!

Similarly reason why fans buy tops from the club shop when they can get the exact same product from normal sports stores for 10-15 quid cheaper.

Paying OUR money towards NUFC is not just like buying a packet of condoms!

Its exactly like buying condoms - for pleasure and to avoid STD's. Except we have a disease in the club - platitudes. 8 from Roeder and 24 from FS - see NUFC.com. No condoms for them.

Yes our money. Unlike buying goods from the supermarkerts, most fans don't just buy tickets to watch the game, they fork out the money because they see it as an investment towards the club so that the club will have the finances to do well and improve. That's the only way to explain why people keep on buying tickets despite the extortionist prices, its definitely not for the entertainment value!

Similarly reason why fans buy tops from the club shop when they can get the exact same product from normal sports stores for 10-15 quid cheaper.

your choice is simple. If you aren't happy, don't pay them your money. Like 30,000 others did when they weren't interested for years, when we sold our trophy players and replaced them with players from Oxford etc

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm

COMFORTABLY NUMB

Tuesday 7th November 2006

Settle down lads and lasses, everything is going to be alright. Shepherd is back from his jollies, he's got his gob on the back of the Ronnie Gill with a mobile pressed to his lug looking like he really means business and his first job on getting back behind his desk at the House of Pain will be to get the players together and shout at them (aka "remind them who they are playing for"). Well, that should do the trick then eh? We've been here before haven't we? It's enough to make you weep!

Can you imagine Sir Alex, Arsene, Jose, Martin O or well, even Roy Keane putting up with this shite? The Chairman laying into the players at this mad-house football club? Just what is all this about?

Standby for some worthless, patronising shit about being a fan, being a Geordie, Rolls Royce wages yap, yap, yap! Is anyone convinced by this garbage?

Those of you who watch the activities of the local press with a mixture of rage, resignation and amusement will have been intrigued by the back page of The Chronicle on Monday night. It was only a fortnight ago the supremely entertaining Alan Oliver was telling us it was only a minority of supporters at The Beasts chanting against Shepherd for a short time. We're also hearing the Bob Murray-esque - if there is someone out there ready to take-over the club, I'll sell up type stuff.

This is a new one. Not so long ago the local media was letting on Shepherd wanted to keep the club and has been acquiring as many shares as he possibly could to strengthen his ownership of the club and get onto parity with the Halls (who are every bit as culpable as Shepherd).

Bit of an about turn today. Call me cynical but ....

I have to say my afternoon cuppa was sprayed up the wall of the tf bunker when I read the line Shepherd has the "best interests of the club at heart". I'm trying to square that with the unending series of bollocks the man has dropped, his musings in a Spanish house of ill repute and massive amounts of money he and others have taken out of Newcastle United down the years. Please. It's all piss and wind. Enough. Tyneside's bull-shit detectors are buzzing into over-drive.

I'm trying my best to be a bit "up" but its just rolling out like gallows (or rather Gallowgate) humour. Saturday night was as bad as anything many of us have ever seen on that pitch on Barrack Road. We've been beaten, we've been outclassed many times before and we will be again but when players stop playing, when internationals pack in putting tackles in and jumping out of challenges, I'm sorry that is straightforward cowardice. Its cheating the public. Its short-changing us. The spats between players and supporters is the strongest indication that this nut-job club of ours could very well be on the point of implosion if we haven't gone beyond that point already. People have every right to get angry and I'm not too upset about players showing their frustrations but supporters who get sanctimonious and write letters of complaint to the club and run to the papers are doing no-one any favours. Let it drop for fuck's sake!

Shite players and clueless coaches aren't the major problem at Newcastle United. They are the symptom of a deeper malaise. All clubs occasionally get stung in the transfer market but I can't see another club do as much bad business as us so consistently. Are any of the nuggets we bring to the club subject to any kind of scouting, character evaluation whatsoever?

What scouting network do we have in place at home and abroad? Why can't we sign the occasional unknown for a modest fee who will go onto be another Darren Bent or Dean Ashton?

Who thinks its great business to sign players with appalling injury records and put them on massive deals?

That just can't stop with the manager acting alone. Can it?

Our Magpie malaise is attracting the attentions of the national media but I have to say some of them are still getting it completely wrong. I had to laugh at Alan Hansen writing in The Telegraph on Monday putting out the cliché we supporters only want to see high-scoring, attacking football a la Kevin Keegan. I don't think there's anything unique in our liking for decent entertaining football but KK left this club almost a decade ago and Hansen is dealing in out-dated clichéd nonsense.

If Hansen cared to take a pew in the Leazes or the Gallowgate he'd learn very quickly that we all want proper defenders. It's fanciful nonsense we don't though I suspect Hansen's theories are rooted in some kind of loyalty to his Liverpool mates - Dalglish and Souness who both did abysmal jobs at Newcastle United. £8:5M for Boumsong? Ever mentioned that to Graeme over a Glenmorangie at Southport Golf Club, pal?

Whilst Roeder's position is obviously and rightly under severe scrutiny, I'd like to ask what Douglas Hall, a director of the club and on the payroll actually does for Newcastle United? I honestly don't know and I really truthfully would like to be enlightened. He's been conspicuous by his silence in these last few difficult weeks and I just wonder if he needs to remember what club he's at (ahem).

Where the club goes from here is unknown. Relegation is a realistic prospect. I don't believe Roeder wanted to start this season with the piss-poor threadbare squad he is at his disposal and I don't really think he wanted to sign Martins, Bernard (what is up with him by the way?), Rossi on-loan and Man City reserve Sibierski to supplement what we thought was a good signing in Duff. But Roeder has what he at his disposal and no change in manager can change that until January when the club must make the correct investments in central defenders, full-backs and a muscular centre-forward with something in the air and a bit of presence to bolster the most light-weight side we've had since we were relegated in '89.

One thing is inescapable. Shepherd has had almost ten years in the Chairman's job - he has worked with Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness and Roeder over that time. A lot of mistakes, a lot of bluster, blunders and our money wasted. He isn't up to the job, he has had more opportunities to fail than he ever should have been allowed. Our Chairman is a liability in my opinion.

Shepherd Out!

Despite constantly criticising him for "interfering", only last week they said he should "sort out the players who were good enough" etc etc...blah blah blah ....

They should make their minds up what they want. Every day its a cut and paste job. For years people wanted this club to buy top [trophy?] players and not sell them, now they think they shouldn't buy them and the chairman/board should have a better professional judgement than the manager they employ ....... you couldn't make it up.

I expect the usual "long term fans" to ignore this and pretend it isn't true.

your choice is simple. If you aren't happy, don't pay them your money. Like 30,000 others did when they weren't interested for years, when we sold our trophy players and replaced them with players from Oxford etc

Which, as things stand, is exactly what is going to happen again because of the chairman YOU backed.

I believe that makes it YOUR fault, doesn't it?

Which, as things stand, is exactly what is going to happen again because of the chairman YOU backed.

I believe that makes it YOUR fault, doesn't it?

I don't equate pointing out the improvement the club has made since 1992, and the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, as backing anybody, but merely pointing out facts like this which make clear that replacing with inferior directors is far more likely than better ones. Which, as it stands, suggests that you still have not learned to read and interpret posts properly.

As I said, if you aren't happy, stop going. Plenty did before, when there was nothing on offer, and forced a change......if you think it is so bad yet not bad enough to give it up, then it makes it YOUR fault for not taking the action needed ..

From a purely pedantic point of view, its not the fans money. If you are a Scorsese fan and pay to see his films, they dont become 'your' films. If he raises money on the basis of fans going to see his films for a new production, that isnt 'your' film either. The exchange of money for products (i nearly said 'goods') and services is a legal exchange. Your money becomes the clubs money through your willingness to pay to watch games and own merchandise... whether they are entertaining or not.

Fan power starts and stops with their willingness to pay.

From a purely pedantic point of view, its not the fans money. If you are a Scorsese fan and pay to see his films, they dont become 'your' films. If he raises money on the basis of fans going to see his films for a new production, that isnt 'your' film either. The exchange of money for products (i nearly said 'goods') and services is a legal exchange. Your money becomes the clubs money through your willingness to pay to watch games and own merchandise... whether they are entertaining or not.

you couldn't have stated it more clearly and correctly, but don't expect him - and others - to take any notice.

And selling Bellamy to replace him with Rossi/Sibs

Looking likely to sell Emre, Milner and/or Zog in Jan to fund a couple of full backs

Seems very similar, only this time its not just established internationals who are going to jump ship

I'm sure that's exactly how the Board see it and why FFS insists on calling it a business rather than a club.  Of course most fans don't see the analogy since if for example I think Scorsese is a stupid fat twat who doesn't have a clue how to make a film, I can always go and see any number of films by other directors.  Whereas I'd guess most people on here will never support anyone but Newcastle Utd & view their money as going to support their club, however naieve a view that may seem.  Of course they can stop spending on the club until things change but they don't enjoy the same freedom of choice as an ordinary consumer.

I'm sure that's exactly how the Board see it and why FFS insists on calling it a business rather than a club.  Of course most fans don't see the analogy since if for example I think Scorsese is a stupid fat twat who doesn't have a clue how to make a film, I can always go and see any number of films by other directors.  Whereas I'd guess most people on here will never support anyone but Newcastle Utd & view their money as going to support their club, however naieve a view that may seem.  Of course they can stop spending on the club until things change but they don't enjoy the same freedom of choice as an ordinary consumer.

An excellent point Kitman, they are running a kind of local monopoly which does mean that the market isnt fair. If you want to watch live football its Newcastle or nowt.

However, just because they can extract higher prices out of us without affecting demand for tickets (given the quality of results/football remains), doesnt mean a transfer of ownership of any of the assets of the club to its paying supporters and customers. Whether you pay over the odds, under the odds or pay to someone you havent got a choice about, once you've handed over the money it not yours anymore.

I'm sure that's exactly how the Board see it and why FFS insists on calling it a business rather than a club.  Of course most fans don't see the analogy since if for example I think Scorsese is a stupid fat **** who doesn't have a clue how to make a film, I can always go and see any number of films by other directors.  Whereas I'd guess most people on here will never support anyone but Newcastle Utd & view their money as going to support their club, however naieve a view that may seem.  Of course they can stop spending on the club until things change but they don't enjoy the same freedom of choice as an ordinary consumer.

An excellent point Kitman, they are running a kind of local monopoly which does mean that the market isnt fair. If you want to watch live football its Newcastle or nowt.

However, just because they can extract higher prices out of us without affecting demand for tickets (given the quality of results/football remains), doesnt mean a transfer of ownership of any of the assets of the club to its paying supporters and customers. Whether you pay over the odds, under the odds or pay to someone you havent got a choice about, once you've handed over the money it not yours anymore.

Of course you're right.  But people have a special connection with the club don't they, which makes them think their money is going to support the club.  You can't have it both ways really.  If we don't care about that, let's drop club from our name.  In fact let's call it Newcastle Give Us All Your Money We Don't Give a Shit about You If You Don't Like It Sod Off Ltd  bluebiggrin.gif 

I'm sure that's exactly how the Board see it and why FFS insists on calling it a business rather than a club.  Of course most fans don't see the analogy since if for example I think Scorsese is a stupid fat **** who doesn't have a clue how to make a film, I can always go and see any number of films by other directors.  Whereas I'd guess most people on here will never support anyone but Newcastle Utd & view their money as going to support their club, however naieve a view that may seem.  Of course they can stop spending on the club until things change but they don't enjoy the same freedom of choice as an ordinary consumer.

Of course you're right.  But people have a special connection with the club don't they, which makes them think their money is going to support the club.  You can't have it both ways really.  If we don't care about that, let's drop club from our name.  In fact let's call it Newcastle Give Us All Your Money We Don't Give a Shit about You If You Don't Like It Sod Off Ltd  bluebiggrin.gif 

The club shop clothing and embroidering department would be the immediate beneficiaries  :lol:

The club shop clothing and embroidering department would be the immediate beneficiaries  :lol:

bluelaugh.gif  That fat lad with NUFC tatooed on his belly is going to have to dig deep  bluebiggrin.gif

And selling Bellamy to replace him with Rossi/Sibs

Looking likely to sell Emre, Milner and/or Zog in Jan to fund a couple of full backs

Seems very similar, only this time its not just established internationals who are going to jump ship

it is quite clear you don't read or listen to anything.

Spending 30 years selling international players who want to leave, including 3 locally born England internationals with their whole career in front of them, is a vastly different kettle of fish to selling Craig Bellamy, and Laurent Robert, who didn't want to go but were forced out by a manager.

I think if the club sells Emre and Milner to buy a couple of full backs it is a bad professional judgement by the manager which is again a totally different thing altogether. While every player has their price and I wouldn't be against selling either of them for the right price, we need forwards and midfield players way before a right back. And neither Emre or Milner can hold a candle to Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley anyway.

Guest Micktoon

I have in the past backed Sheperd, however as the clubs heads backwards faster than a fucking ballistic missile I'm having difficulty in supporting the man anymore. In any business leadership and organisation comes from the top. Sheperd has failed miserably to appoint a decent manger since Sir Bob left. He has subsequently funded the managers he appointed very generously, unfortunately both have proven to be pretty much incompetant on the transfer front. Owen the exception.

Yes the club is better run than in the dark days of the seventies and eighties, I do however believe that football as a whole is better run than in those times. So this fact is not down to the board as much as the market place and inparticular Sky TV.

Right now we are in the shit with no leadership or organisation and are heading downwards fast, someone needs to put the brakes on and quick, January will be too late.

Sheperd claims to be and probably is a supporter of Newcastle United, what i would like to ask him is, " as a follower of our great club what do you think of the current first team coaching and management staff that you appointed and are responsible for?"

This I firmly believe is where thee problem lies, A whole load of fucking around trying to find an assistant and as for Clarky and Terry Mac I'm pretty sure Gateshead have more experienced coaches. How the hell these two can have anything to do with first team affairs beggars belief.

Sorry Freddy but you appointed and pay the wages of these incompetents and you are the one who should get shot ASAP. If I was as fucking clueless at my job i would expect to get the boot, the same should happen at our club.

Now is the time that he stood up and proved to us ALL that he has the best interests of the club at heart, or he should stand down.

As for Douglas Hall, the mind fucking boggles what he does for he substantial salary!!!

I don't equate pointing out the improvement the club has made since 1992, and the fact that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, as backing anybody, but merely pointing out facts like this which make clear that replacing with inferior directors is far more likely than better ones. Which, as it stands, suggests that you still have not learned to read and interpret posts properly.

As I said, if you aren't happy, stop going. Plenty did before, when there was nothing on offer, and forced a change......if you think it is so bad yet not bad enough to give it up, then it makes it YOUR fault for not taking the action needed ..

Shepherd wasn't chairman in 1992, why do you keep using Sir John as a way of talking up Shepherd?  I think I know, it's because Shepherd hasn't done anything in his time to talk up.

The fact that a shit chairman like Ellis has finished above Shepherd more times than not just goes to show exactly what Shepherd is, Ellis did is for less money and you held that against him. bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

you couldn't have stated it more clearly and correctly, but don't expect him - and others - to take any notice.

-18 league places, £ millions of debt.

I wouldn't expect you to take notice, at least not on here.  bluebiggrin.gif

but are you prepared to bet it won't last for decades ? Like you say you were happy with before  :lol:

but are you prepared to bet it won't last for decades ? Like you say you were happy with before  :lol:

If things go the way they are going now then it will not be Newcastle United FC we're supporting, it will be Newcastle United 2007 or something like that.

If things go the way they are going now then it will not be Newcastle United FC we're supporting, it will be Newcastle United 2007 or something like that.

you mean like in 1992, after 30 years of selling our best players ? Or are you just about to go and read about it