Steven Taylor stays if we are relegated

Guest geordienorway

Guest geordienorway
Taylor stays loyal to Toon

Defender will stay if Magpies get relegated

Last updated: 24th May 2009

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor is staying loyal to the Magpies if the unthinkable happens and they go down.

The Magpies go into Survival Sunday knowing they need to better Hull's result to guarantee top-flight safety.

While Taylor believes his home-town club can survive, he has already pledged his loyalty should the Magpies get relegated.

His attitude is in stark contrast to defensive partner Sebastien Bassong who says he will leave St James' Park if Newcastle go down.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's crunch clash with Aston Villa, which is being shown live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1 at 4pm, Taylor told The People: "I keep hearing about players leaving St James' Park should we go down and my name has been bandied about.

Going nowhere

"But I am going nowhere.

"I am a Geordie and Newcastle United is my team and I am staying put whatever happens.

"But I am confident we will stay up.

"I really am. Newcastle United is a big club and we have big players. And big players are what will be needed at Villa Park.

"We intend to go out with the same attitude we had against Middlesbrough, which should stand us in good stead."

Familiar faces

The Newcastle defender will see plenty of familiar faces among Sunday's opposition as James Milner, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Curtis Davies, Craig Gardner, Nigel Reo-Coker and Ashley Young have all played alongside Taylor in the England Under-21 side.

However Taylor knows this will not help.

"I know that none of them will be looking to do me any favours," said the defender, who also hit back at those who think relegation will affect his chances of playing for England at senior level.

The youngster, who will lead the England Under-21 team in the European Championships next month, said: "Everyone of us going to Sweden want to play at senior level and people keep telling me it won't do my chances any good if I am playing Championship football.

"But I am not listening to them. First of all I don't think it will happen.

"And, in any case, when Michael Carrick was relegated with West Ham it did not do his international prospects any harm as he was still picked for England."

Great news. What a brilliant character this lad has. Should be captain next season IMO.

Really should be made captain next season. Think his commitment is a rarity in todays football, and we'll desperatley need someone who knows what it means to play for Newcastle when we rebuild the team in the forthcoming years.

For his faults, I've never doubted his attitude. Well, apart from when got his dad to negitiate a pay rise.

His heart is in the right place, even if he's a little OTT at times.

He's a decent player, but don't think he's a natural defender.

Guest Darth Toon

Might sound strange, but a season mixing it in the Chamionship could be the making of the lad.

For his faults, I've never doubted his attitude. Well, apart from when got his dad to negitiate a pay rise.

His heart is in the right place, even if he's a little OTT at times.

He's a decent player, but don't think he's a natural defender.

Would it be worth playing him as a fullback in the future? I don't really remember how well he's played in the position.

Anywho I'm impressed with his character. Good on him gives me some optimisim for the future.

Apart from Beye, the only player out of the entire squad who's shown REAL attitude over the past few weeks. Deserves praise for that.

Somebody needs to find him a position other than center back though :undecided:

Seriously, at what stage in his development did somebody decide to say "oy, thick lad with bad concentration and horrible decision-making, we're going to turn you into a center-half!" :doh:

Might sound strange, but a season mixing it in the Chamionship could be the making of the lad.

I reckon the same for Krul, Carroll and Vukcic as well.

To be honest a trip to Championship isn't that bad if we can make good use of that year to train up the kids.

His stupid mistakes wouldn't be punished as often as they are at the minute and he'd do ok.

He's still not great but you need players like Taylor at the back to kick you out of the division.