We're down. The relegation thread.

Dave

Guest Heneage

Our recruitment policy should focus on youth.

our recruitment policy should focus on the right players.

What was made painfully aware Sunday was the lack of fitness and youth in the team, Villa could have gone on for another 10 minutes our lot looked like they were running on empty.

What was made painfully aware Sunday was the lack of fitness and youth in the team, Villa could have gone on for another 10 minutes our lot looked like they were running on empty.

fitness has little to do with youth.

fitness has little to do with youth.

They're actually linked tbf.

You lose natural fitness with age, that's a fact of life.

Guest optimistic nit

I still can't fucking believe it btw. Even though I thought it was on the cards for ages.

it is fucking crazy :lol:

i'm not meaning that to sound like we are too good for the championship, because we aren't, but how the fuck were we so appauling this season that we couldn't avoid relegation when all we needed was 35 points. looking at some of our results beggars belief.

Relegation

Do I really want to turn on the TV

and see grown men reduced to tears?

It’s the morning after, but to the world

they are still singing defiantly.

My own head was in my hands last night

As I realised there are no miracles anymore.

Let us not put our faith in false idols and money,

but find heart and passion behind the badge

and those who wish to wear it proudly.

Loudly we will sing when we go visit

teams that time forgot, teams overlooked

by the media. And upwards this bird will fly

once more.

This is what I wrote the morning after we were relegated. Hope this is the appropriate place to post it. Sorry it took so long to post.

Guest wshmag

Relegation

Do I really want to turn on the TV

and see grown men reduced to tears?

It’s the morning after, but to the world

they are still singing defiantly.

My own head was in my hands last night

As I realised there are no miracles anymore.

Let us not put our faith in false idols and money,

but find heart and passion behind the badge

and those who wish to wear it proudly.

Loudly we will sing when we go visit

teams that time forgot, teams overlooked

by the media. And upwards this bird will fly

once more.

This is what I wrote the morning after we were relegated. Hope this is the appropriate place to post it. Sorry it took so long to post.

Shite.

first time i've posted on here since we've gone down. no I haven't gone and thrown a strop or owt like that. just been real busy with work, and now i'm finally on holiday and have a bit of time.

to be honest, I don't think it's even hit me yet. I walked away from the tv screen as soon as the whistle went at Villa park. I must say I felt guilty for walking away so I returned for a few moments to see Steven Taylor on the ground, and the invisible tears in Shearer's eyes. I started to feel the sadness until I saw the likes of Jonas and others, which reminded me just how shit we have been this season. The sadness was sapped from me in an instant. The cameras panning to the tearful faithful just made me angry and harked me back to Souness' first season in charge, and the fiasco that has followed that since. Anger turned into fury. It was the kind of fury you feel once you are relieved after years of living in fear. We have lived the fear of going down since that 1-0 away defeat at Charlton when Bellamy was hauled off having been our best player. It was all over now, and we could at least rest easy, knowing the embarrassment was all but over for at least a few hours or months.

I can't help feel a tiny sense of excitement at the prospect of a robust and energetic Newcastle United outfit that can score goals and win matches once again. But even that tiny glimmer was shattered when I found myself trawling through the Premier League news section of Skysports.com, and realizing I was looking in the wrong place.

Fading echoes of all the lads n lasses there, all with smiling faces, gannin along the Scotswood road ring in my mental ears, but with every beat my heart brings the blaydon races back up to my mouth, louder than ever, with the promise of a new era, and a new lease of life for the one true love in my life....the pleasure and pain of supporting a Newcastle United that will once, maybe in a year or ten, rise again from the ashes, and score 3 goals in Milan.

Faye and Bramble were both excellent this season, defensive coaching is clearly something which is inherently wrong at our club

Alternatively it could be that we've not had a solid midfield in 5 years & end up inviting pressure on our defence leading to more & more last ditch tackles, etc.  When a striker makes a mistake it doesn't usually get punished too badly, but when a defender makes an error it usually leads to an opposing player being put through on goal.  You can get away sometimes, but constant pressure means more potential mistakes and when you have players like Titus did I leave the iron on? Bramble in your defence those mistakes get magnified more often.

Bramble has looked alright this season because he's not been put under that pressure since the Wigan midfield has been capable of keeping hold of the ball when required and offering an outlet when necessary.  He's still made the same mistakes, it just hasn't happened as often.  How often this season did our defenders clear the ball to the midfield only to see it fly right back at our defence because the midfield wasn't there?  Too often our players were sitting so deeply they could be classed as defenders or alternatively they'd find a warm spot on the pitch and stay there despite being marked by a defender twice their size.  It's why Jonas was important to the team this season, he was actually capable of running with the ball and alleviating pressure, it would have worked better if the rest of the midfield had thought about trying to keep up with him to offer an outlet for him when he got into trouble, but too often they were still wandering around the centre of defence 50 yards away from the ball.

It winds me up no end when the media go on about our frail defence.  It isn't really that bad, the problem is in the midfield and has been in the midfield since Speed left.

Couldnt agree more, especially the point about Jonas.

Yes, exactly right.

It hit home the other day when I was watching the ticker bar running along the bottom on SSN and they said there was some news about Shearer. The bar came round to Premiership news and I was wondering where the hell this update was, then it flicked over to Championship news and low and behold there was the Newcastle news.... GUTTED!

everyone was willing us to go down, the media were rubbing their hands and laughing at us, they all jumped for joy when we didn't even bother to muster a whimper against Villa. But now what are they going to do? Writing stories about a Championship side doesn't sell papers, there's no one in the premiership that the mainstream media can spout their poisoned stories about. Will be interesting to see who gets the limelight now we're no longer in the picture. Hopefully for good!