Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Back to Colo, well chuffed that he is selected, not sure if I prefer to get into the final squad. On one hand the experience would be good for him and it will assure him that playing for Newcastle does not equate sacrificing his international career. But on the other hand, the World Cup is one big window shopping and given teh depressed transfer market, not sure we will get back our initial outlay if we sell him which would be a travesty

In all honesty, if Colo did make the final squad and did get to play in the World Cup, I'd be more worried about his stock going down after a bad game or two. He's been class for us this year, but there's still this nagging suspicion that higher calibre strikers than the ones we've been facing on a weekly basis in the Championship might not be so forgiving.

Eto'o, Raúl, Real Ronaldo, Forlán, Villa, Torres, Van Nistelrooy.

well to be fair ,when Colo played for Depor he played against some of those mentioned ,as well as other top class strikers week in week out and didn`t look out of place at all in that time.

That's what I meant, these are the forwards he faced while at Deportivo. And it's not like they leaked goals like there was no tomorrow, Deportivo were a solid defensive side. Heck, Real Madrid never won at Riazor during the years Coloccini was there and I'm talking about a side that had more stars than probably most national teams he'd face at the WC and they shut them out often.

It's a fair point (to an extent - we know that Depor fans liked him, but you have to take into account the possibility that they've ignored his failings because both he and the team overall had done alright for them, along with other factors like maybe expectation/pressure being lower?). But the last time he was up against those sorts of strikers he just looked very poor by the time the season ended, with certain flaws being established as being part of his game (too easily turned, not able to do anything to make up lost ground, etc etc - which is why so often the £10m price tag or "international centreback" tag were brought up that year) - e.g. Torres who left him for dead at will whenever we played Liverpool.

If he was genuinely good for Deportivo, and it's not a case of him being exposed whilst with us in a league where defenders aren't able to "hide" and where possibly expectations/pressures are higher for defenders to be good at certain things than others, then that bodes well for him and for us if we keep him. But from what we've seen in a Newcastle shirt, those aforementioned flaws in some areas of his defensive game were targeted and exposed over the course of a season in the Premiership. Having just had a season in the Championship against mediocre players which has clearly rebuilt his confidence, I'm not sure it'd be wise for Maradona to throw him in in such high stake games where the pressure to perform is going to be intense and any costly mistake will be highlighted.

Depor defended deep. That makes up for a lot of his flaws as a defender, and incidentally makes him not the best defender for a PL team, but that's different to saying that he would look out of his depth at the WC. International football in general has a waaaaaaaay slower place than the English game.

God almighty, defending is about playing to your strengths and away from your weakenesses, the lad clearly needed time to adapt. Christ knows how well a Carvalho or Vidic would have done if they were dropped into that shambles of an outfit in their first season in the prem.

Back to Colo, well chuffed that he is selected, not sure if I prefer to get into the final squad. On one hand the experience would be good for him and it will assure him that playing for Newcastle does not equate sacrificing his international career. But on the other hand, the World Cup is one big window shopping and given teh depressed transfer market, not sure we will get back our initial outlay if we sell him which would be a travesty

In all honesty, if Colo did make the final squad and did get to play in the World Cup, I'd be more worried about his stock going down after a bad game or two. He's been class for us this year, but there's still this nagging suspicion that higher calibre strikers than the ones we've been facing on a weekly basis in the Championship might not be so forgiving.

well to be fair ,when Colo played for Depor he played against some of those mentioned ,as well as other top class strikers week in week out and didn`t look out of place at all in that time.

Might be similar to when Boumsong handled the likes of Henry well but failed to camouflage the shiteness of Peter Ramage.

That's what I meant, these are the forwards he faced while at Deportivo. And it's not like they leaked goals like there was no tomorrow, Deportivo were a solid defensive side. Heck, Real Madrid never won at Riazor during the years Coloccini was there and I'm talking about a side that had more stars than probably most national teams he'd face at the WC and they shut them out often.

It's a fair point (to an extent - we know that Depor fans liked him, but you have to take into account the possibility that they've ignored his failings because both he and the team overall had done alright for them, along with other factors like maybe expectation/pressure being lower?). But the last time he was up against those sorts of strikers he just looked very poor by the time the season ended, with certain flaws being established as being part of his game (too easily turned, not able to do anything to make up lost ground, etc etc - which is why so often the £10m price tag or "international centreback" tag were brought up that year) - e.g. Torres who left him for dead at will whenever we played Liverpool.

I think the same could be said of many defenders, not just Colo man.

Exactly man, he is a Premiership quality defender and definitely good enough for us but to say that he must be able to stop the likes of Torres, Drogba and Rooney consistently (especially given our poor midfielders) is bordering on crazy. If all premiership defenders could stop these players, then the likes of Torres, Drogba and Rooney would not considered amongst the world's best strikers would they!

God almighty, defending is about playing to your strengths and away from your weakenesses, the lad clearly needed time to adapt. Christ knows how well a Carvalho or Vidic would have done if they were dropped into that shambles of an outfit in their first season in the prem.

Or Bassong. ;)

Guest Phil K

Im supporting Argentina

I'm supporting England, as you should

Ideal world, England to beat Argentina 4-2 in the final, Collocini and Jonas scoring Argie's goals, and Collocini breaking Rooney's leg in the last minute.  :p

Guest palnese

Im supporting Argentina

Ideal world, England to beat Argentina 4-2 in the final, Collocini and Jonas scoring Argie's goals, and Collocini breaking RooneyBent's leg in the last minute.  :p

:razz:

Im supporting Argentina

Ideal world, England to beat Argentina 4-2 in the final, Collocini and Jonas scoring Argie's goals, and Collocini breaking Rooney's leg in the last minute.  :p

That's ridiculous.

We can't play Argentina in the final.

Exactly man, he is a Premiership quality defender and definitely good enough for us but to say that he must be able to stop the likes of Torres, Drogba and Rooney consistently (especially given our poor midfielders) is bordering on crazy. If all premiership defenders could stop these players, then the likes of Torres, Drogba and Rooney would not considered amongst the world's best strikers would they!

yup torres has left vidic for dead quite a few times does that make vidic shit?

Shame, thats one hell of a forward line though.

it is but he's been playing 4-4-2 recently with jonas and di mario wide, veron and mascherano in the middle. i don't see that as world cup winning especially as messi is yet to transfer club form to international.

shame for colo :weep:

shame aye but he has been involved in many previous squads (like Copa America, Olympics, Confederations Cup) and also the last World Cup so it's not as if he's missed out on any big tournaments in his career when he looks back. He's still fairly young too for a defender and can be involved in future squads.

Guest Roger Kint

On the upside, less chance of him being sold.

Or getting crocked

He had no chance of playing tbh, agree on the crocked part though, rather he was relaxing this summer getting ready for pre season. Personally i dont think Maradona was ever going to leave him in the final squad anyway.

On the upside, less chance of him being sold.

Or getting crocked

He had no chance of playing tbh, agree on the crocked part though, rather he was relaxing this summer getting ready for pre season. Personally i dont think Maradona was ever going to leave him in the final squad anyway.

What, now that it has been officially announced?

Really sticking your neck out there like. :lol:

Anyway, disappointed for Colo. Would have been nice for him to be there and be a part of it, did all that really could have been asked of him this season.

Should be better prepared for the start of next season though, so a silver lining for us at least.

Guest Roger Kint

What, now that it has been officially announced?

Really sticking your neck out there like. :lol:

It doesnt take a genius to work out in all fairness