Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

A f***ing legend, a hero of our time and a man who is a f***ing billion times bigger and better than the useless c***s running and playing at our club. I was too young during the Keegan days to get a real grasp of football and what he meant, so although I know he is a legend, he isnt a real hero of mine, but Shearer is that man. I idolise him and any Newcastle fan worth their salt should too. I know most people wouldnt dare, but should anyone think less of Shearer in these dark times after what happened, remind yourself of what he has done at this club.

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/DJ/20081118/shearer_SerenaTaylor.jpg

Ive had a few, so sorry if im over emotional, but its been killing me since I saw his interview.

The club needs Alan Shearer to sign a long term contract in order to rebuild our club.

If Shearer signs it'll mean that he's got the assurances he needs from Ashley that he can take this club forward. If he doesn't sign, then it'll mean that Ashley hasn't got the desire, or the funds, or both, to rebuild the club and then he's got to go.

What hurt me more than the actual relegation was the look on his face at the full time and the tone in his voice during the post-match interview.

He was genuinely gutted and I think he feels like he's partly to blame for it.

He gave it a good crack of the whip but at the end of the day, he was let down by his players yet again.

Would love him to stay, but wouldn't blame him for leaving.

The man's my hero... i'll leave it at that from a romantic point of view.

From an actual footballing perspective... i've gradually become increasingly confident of his managerial ability... i think he'll be a good manager tbh - and i'm not just saying that just because i love him. I'm not sure if i'm totally confident in the disciplinarian approach; but that's because the only other memories of it are Graeme Souness. Isn't Alex Ferguson a 'disciplinarian' too? It doesn't necassarily have to be an issue i don't think.

He is a football legend and from what i've seen there's nothing to suggest he won't be a good manager. If he's supported in the summer (lol), i see no reason why he can't take us back up.

I think Shearer will walk away unless he is given exactly what he wants by Mike Ashley. In his interview he spoke about the mistakes that have been made and that the running of the club has nt been good enough.

He also said that things have to be discussed and questions answered - I take that to mean Shearer telling Ashley how he wants the club run if he is to stay, and asking how much Ashley is prepared to back him with in the transfer market. If the answers given aren't to Shearer's liking he'll be off and, as gutted as i'll be, I wouldn't blame him.

Remember during shearer's last years as a player when some people said he was holding us back and should have been sold/dropped? It turns out he was instrumental in keeping us up. 3 years after he hung up his boots we're relegated.

This.

So is Nixon going to demand that this topic gets merged with the existing "Alan Shearer confirmed as manager for remainder of the season" thread? Is he fuck.

Indi will be all over this thread like genital herpes.

What? You mean full of pus and fucking irritating?

So what are the good skills that people see making him a good manager and what signs of those skills do you think we have seen so far?

Expecting "fuck off" but im seriously interested to hear.

I'm not decided on him at all yet. I love him and in a way I'd like to take the risk and see what happens if he gets it full time, with resources and time. But so far he hasn't really shown anything to make me say "we have to keep him!". We havent improved under him. I really thought he could get the players fired up but that just hasnt happened at all. And when I think of the skills that could make him a good manager, motivation of the players for some reason is the first thing that comes to mind. You'd think he has the character to do that.

And "no one could get them fired up" doesnt really cut it for me sorry :undecided:

Pray to god he stay's on.

He got a name to bring in some exiting players. Also from his comments that this club needs "surgery" all the way to the top, i guess he knows exactly what to do.

For enthusiasm for the next season. I cant think of anyone better than Shearer.

Guest Heneage

Pray to god he stay's on.

He got a name to bring in some exiting players. Also from his comments that this club needs "surgery" all the way to the top, i guess he knows exactly what to do.

For enthusiasm for the next season. I cant think of anyone better than Shearer.

I dunno mate.

It's easy to see the problems it's different when it comes to actually correcting them.

So what are the good skills that people see making him a good manager and what signs of those skills do you think we have seen so far?

Expecting "fuck off" but im seriously interested to hear.

I'm not decided on him at all yet. I love him and in a way I'd like to take the risk and see what happens if he gets it full time, with resources and time. But so far he hasn't really shown anything to make me say "we have to keep him!". We havent improved under him. I really thought he could get the players fired up but that just hasnt happened at all. And when I think of the skills that could make him a good manager, motivation of the players for some reason is the first thing that comes to mind. You'd think he has the character to do that.

And "no one could get them fired up" doesnt really cut it for me sorry :undecided:

I reckon i, for one, will just have to agree to disagree there. I genuinely just don't feel the mentality of this collection of footballers could have been altered in such a way, to make us stay up. The vast majority of these players will not have a problem finding a new club, and 'in fairness' to them (disclaimer: i feel no pity for any of the cunts whatsoever)... they have been royally fucked over by several of the key people at this football club over the course of the season. Again, without trying to pity them, they've played under four managers this season... what the fuck... four managers.

I know their wage slips suggest they should put that to one side and get the fuck on with it... but such is the mentality of the modern-day footballer...

Shearer had a fucking enormous job motivating these players. Unfortunately, he could only motivate a few individuals. That wasn't a surprise. A lot of these players will get sold on in the summer, but most of them left the club in February/March sorta time, if not before.

From a footballing perspective, i don't know really. For one thing - he isn't the true Brit grit, 4-4-2, lump the ball forward no matter what, clogger manager i feared at the back of my mind. He hasn't been afraid to try out new formations, he's recognised his errors, and he's recognised the areas where it's blatantly not going quite right. From a tactical perspective, i reckon there's something there - remembering that he's never actually managed a football club before. From a substitution perspective, he gets the thumbs up - definitely. Pulling straws i suppose.

I honestly don't know. I'm basing things largely on context, and i'm saying it's far too early to genuinely judge the guy. I think, from a footballing perspective, he hasn't done badly at all. I've just got a good feeling. At the moment, i'd say he's a manager with bags of potential... whether or not that's what we require right now... i'm unsure. But i'll take it.