Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

Guest Heneage

Persistence with Owen? He f***ing dropped him.

Portsmouth game, and his first few games in charge, he had 8 games and he wasn't dropped till the 4th game in. Sorry but too much sympathy for an old friend.

Today he put Shola on, another body up front was not what was needed. You could have 8 strikers on but without someone creating for them it's pointless. That and his persistence with Butt who was never working.

Portsmouth game, and his first few games in charge, he had 8 games and he wasn't dropped till the 4th game in. Sorry but too much sympathy for an old friend.

Today he put Shola on, another body up front was not what was needed. You could have 8 strikers on but without someone creating for them it's pointless. That and his persistence with Butt who was never working.

should have played Geremi instead of Butt imo  :sadnod:

4 games in is too slow for you?

It was quick enough for me and it was a very promising sign. And who do you think could have replaced Butt in the middle? For me, the pecking order in CM is, quite unfortunately, Barton > Guthrie > Butt > Nolan. Because Barton is Barton, Guthrie and Butt should have been the pairing in CM. But who then to play RM? Shearer did what he could to put the best players on the pitch. He dropped Owen for a few games and actually got Viduka playing again. That is a credit to his management.

The only main disappointment I have is with how he handled Jonas: This was a guy who, if properly motivated, runs his legs off (Old Trafford, first match). But ever since Shearer's got here, his play has looked uninspired, and he just looks tired. Maybe he is tired, but I was expecting more from him and Shearer's gotta be partially responsible for the shit end to Jonas' season.

Other than that, Shearer's been much better than I thought he'd be. He's not afraid to try different formations, even if some of them had bad results, but the attempt counts a lot in my opinion. He also gave up on them as soon as he found out that they didn't work, which again counts a lot. Shearer's obviously not the finished product and I imagine that if he does stay for the long term, he'll make some permanent changes to the backroom staff which will have a bigger effect on the way the team plays. I think he's shown that he can improve, and on that basis, I believe he'll get better as time passes. That, to me, makes me comfortable with the thought of him being our long-term manager.

Guest Heneage

4 games in is too slow for you?

It was quick enough for me and it was a very promising sign. And who do you think could have replaced Butt in the middle? For me, the pecking order in CM is, quite unfortunately, Barton > Guthrie > Butt > Nolan. Because Barton is Barton, Guthrie and Butt should have been the pairing in CM. But who then to play RM? Shearer did what he could to put the best players on the pitch. He dropped Owen for a few games and actually got Viduka playing again. That is a credit to his management.

The only main disappointment I have is with how he handled Jonas: This was a guy who, if properly motivated, runs his legs off (Old Trafford, first match). But ever since Shearer's got here, his play has looked uninspired, and he just looks tired. Maybe he is tired, but I was expecting more from him and Shearer's gotta be partially responsible for the s*** end to Jonas' season.

Otherwise, Shearer's been much better than I thought he'd be. He's not afraid to try different formations, even if some of them had bad results, but the attempt counts a lot in my opinion. He also gave up on them as soon as he found out that they didn't work, which again counts a lot. Shearer's obviously not the finished product and I imagine that if he does stay for the long term, he'll make some permanent changes to the backroom staff which will have a bigger effect on the way the team plays. I think he's shown that he can improve, and on that basis, I believe he'll get better as time passes. That, to me, makes me comfortable with the thought of him being our long-term manager.

4 games in when you only have 8 is too slow. No time for sentiment or waiting for people to "Come good" It should have been Viduka Martins and Carroll fighting for them spots, Owen's done nothing when he's played over the last 8 games. Guthrie and Nolan were never played together in the middle. Just stupid.

It didnt sink in that we'd gone til I heard Shearer after the game. Brought tears to me eyes listening to him. The man needs to be here next season, what's the alternative? We're completely fucked if he doesn't stay on imo, who else could come in?

The only main disappointment I have is with how he handled Jonas: This was a guy who, if properly motivated, runs his legs off (Old Trafford, first match). But ever since Shearer's got here, his play has looked uninspired, and he just looks tired. Maybe he is tired, but I was expecting more from him and Shearer's gotta be partially responsible for the shit end to Jonas' season.

As for Shearer not picking Jonas today, Jonas is another one of those players who the fans seem to like even though they are shit (see Viana, Ketsbia, etc). Milner looks like Ronaldo compared to Jonas.

Nolan's shite. Butt at least offers some protection to the back four, even if it's woeful protection and still leaves them overexposed. With Nolan and Guthrie in the middle, we'd have been on the end of some horrific beatings. No attacking instinct, no protection for the back four. Guthrie can at least pass his way out of trouble (but lacks that cutting edge), but what does Nolan offer? What has he done? One good pass for Lovenkrands is all I remember. Don't mention the other 'assist' to Martins because there was no intent from Nolan to head it to Martins - it was just a general header to nowhere, as usual.

The other argument that can be made for Shearer is based on stability. We need it. He's actually seen the squad and the players, so he won't need time in preseason to judge the players again. And this summer, it's even more important that whoever our manager is judges right, because we can't afford to keep shit players. So because Shearer's actually seen our players in training everyday, I'd rather he stayed because of that (on top of the other reasons that I've mentioned).

Of course there's still a lot of doubt about Shearer. He's no Fergie or Wenger (yet...), he hasn't shown real tactical nous in changing the way we actually play (i.e. increasing width, or more passing and movement in general etc.), but I think it's way too early to judge him on a set of players who were known to be very shit and the fact that he had 8 games which is nothing.

Give him two years. Let him clear out the squad, let him work the transfer market and let's see how next year's team does. If we clear out everyone and start again, then I wouldn't mind it if we only challenged for the playoffs but had a squad full of youngsters with potential.

As for Shearer not picking Jonas today, Jonas is another one of those players who the fans seem to like even though they are shit (see Viana, Ketsbia, etc). Milner looks like Ronaldo compared to Jonas.

Ahhh so that explains why he hasnt been as good recently as at the start of the season....not!

Guest firetotheworks

All of these ever so slightly different threads are doing my head in now...that and the fact we've been relegated.  :weep:

I disagree re: Jonas. He keeps the ball, he moves, he looks to make intelligent passes but it's a real shame that no one in our team actually makes intelligent runs. I think he's been used in the wrong way and we're expecting him to be wayyyyyyy more than what he actually is (or could be). He's good enough for a top 10 team, easily, imo. Just because the whole team stopped movin when he got the ball on the halfway line isn't his fault. Look at other teams who we thought we were challenging and all of them will have these similar players - players who don't have a lot of end product but is the 'glue' behind the team. Look at Park. Look at Flamini for Arsenal a year ago. These guys can't really cross, can't really shoot but it's their 'intangibles' that counts and makes them valuable. If it was all about the ability to put in a good cross or shoot then why is Park even getting a game for Man Utd? Why is he already pencilled in to start the CL final against Barcelona?

Positive: Dropping Owen. Trying different formations (to an extent).

Big Negative: Failing to change the Butt/Nolan central midfield partnership, which imo has taken us down (awful against Fulham/Villa, allowing them to pressurise us to the extent that they created chances to score). Every man and his dog, even blind men with blind dogs (where the dogs themselves are also blind) could see just how awful that partnership was. "No legs" doesn't being to describe their performance levels. Yet Shearer stuck with it, despite having "alternatives" on paper. For example, why not try Jonas in central midfield? Keegan did that with Owen last season, and along with dropping the wasters like Duff/Smith, he played a team that best compensated for our terrible weaknesses. Shearer did nothing of the sort in his eight games, and in fact made the more predictable/disappointing decision of dropping Jonas because of no end product - something which has baffled me because the replacement not only had no 'end product', but no 'beginning product' too.

I'd agree with Kasper in that there are nagging doubts for me, although I'd like to see him have a real go at the job before making a judgement on him.

Ahhh so that explains why he hasnt been as good recently as at the start of the season....not!

Jonas' record is shit. His stats are shit (apart from distance run). He can't pass, he can't cross and he can't shoot. I'd understand people liking him if he ever created a goal or a chance. Serious question - why does anyone rate him? He's another one of the players people say will be great when he leaves us (just like people said about Viana and Kluivert who went on to prove them wrong).

I disagree re: Jonas. He keeps the ball, he moves, he looks to make intelligent passes but it's a real shame that no one in our team actually makes intelligent runs. I think he's been used in the wrong way and we're expecting him to be wayyyyyyy more than what he actually is (or could be). He's good enough for a top 10 team, easily, imo. Just because the whole team stopped movin when he got the ball on the halfway line isn't his fault. Look at other teams who we thought we were challenging and all of them will have these similar players - players who don't have a lot of end product but is the 'glue' behind the team. Look at Park. Look at Flamini for Arsenal a year ago. These guys can't really cross, can't really shoot but it's their 'intangibles' that counts and makes them valuable. If it was all about the ability to put in a good cross or shoot then why is Park even getting a game for Man Utd? Why is he already pencilled in to start the CL final against Barcelona?

If you're correct we should get bids for him from other teams. Hopefully we'll get what we paid for him at least.

As for comparing Jonas to Park, Park scores goals.

Properly sums up the way I feel about Jonas, that.  I reckon he'd have been ace in Robson's midfield for example.

So Gutierrez is neither the disease nor the remedy really.  I even reckon that extends to Collocini too - I think they'd both complement good players but we haven't really got any good players.

Properly sums up the way I feel about Jonas, that.  I reckon he'd have been ace in Robson's midfield for example.

So Gutierrez is neither the disease nor the remedy really.  I even reckon that extends to Collocini too - I think they'd both complement good players but we haven't really got any good players.

Yep. I definitely think Coloccini will be an awesome player in a team where he's not being forced to make last-ditch tackles again and again. If he could just be himself, be someone who anticipates what's coming and doesn't have to face a healthy dose of quick strikers running at him, then he'll be good. It's not a perfect comparison but I see a lot of Vidic in him. Of course, Vidic is strong and gets his head to the ball but he's not the paciest defender nor is he the best tackler. He's good at anticipating the game and being in the position to deny the attacker a clear shot or run at goal, thus slowing down the attack. If you have players running at Vidic (like Torres did, like Gerrard did, like Martins did) then he'll struggle too. That's how I feel about Colo.

Yep. I definitely think Coloccini will be an awesome player in a team where he's not being forced to make last-ditch tackles again and again. If he could just be himself, be someone who anticipates what's coming and doesn't have to face a healthy dose of quick strikers running at him, then he'll be good. It's not a perfect comparison but I see a lot of Vidic in him. Of course, Vidic is strong and gets his head to the ball but he's not the paciest defender nor is he the best tackler. He's good at anticipating the game and being in the position to deny the attacker a clear shot or run at goal, thus slowing down the attack. If you have players running at Vidic (like Torres did, like Gerrard did, like Martins did) then he'll struggle too. That's how I feel about Colo.

Well, at least we don't have to talk about them anymore aside from wondering where they'll move to in the summer and how much we'll get.

A fucking legend, a hero of our time and a man who is a fucking billion times bigger and better than the useless cunts running and playing at our club. I was too young during the Keegan days to get a real grasp of football and what he meant, so although I know he is a legend, he isnt a real hero of mine, but Shearer is that man. I idolise him and any Newcastle fan worth their salt should too. I know most people wouldnt dare, but should anyone think less of Shearer in these dark times after what happened, remind yourself of what he has done at this club.

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/DJ/20081118/shearer_SerenaTaylor.jpg

Ive had a few, so sorry if im over emotional, but its been killing me since I saw his interview.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Spoke from nothing but the heart in his interview.

I haven't shed any tears about going down, but watching his interview I did.

Guest Gemmill

Had we done the right thing, the thing that Alex Ferguson does at Old Trafford, or Wenger at the Emirates, or Rafa at Anfield, had we moved an aging striker no longer fit for regular Premiership football on and replaced him with a suitable, younger alternative based on ability, attributes, good scouting and some common sense, we'd not be in the mess we are today.

:lol: Shearer to blame for NUFC relegation.  Christ.

Had we done the right thing, the thing that Alex Ferguson does at Old Trafford, or Wenger at the Emirates, or Rafa at Anfield, had we moved an aging striker no longer fit for regular Premiership football on and replaced him with a suitable, younger alternative based on ability, attributes, good scouting and some common sense, we'd not be in the mess we are today.

I don't think that's what he meant.

Guest Gemmill

I don't think that's what he meant.

Well he'll need to write it in a way that explains it a bit better then.  Because it reads just like that's what he meant.

The only main disappointment I have is with how he handled Jonas: This was a guy who, if properly motivated, runs his legs off (Old Trafford, first match). But ever since Shearer's got here, his play has looked uninspired, and he just looks tired. Maybe he is tired, but I was expecting more from him and Shearer's gotta be partially responsible for the s*** end to Jonas' season.

As for Shearer not picking Jonas today, Jonas is another one of those players who the fans seem to like even though they are s*** (see Viana, Ketsbia, etc). Milner looks like Ronaldo compared to Jonas.

Jonas' record is s***. His stats are s*** (apart from distance run). He can't pass, he can't cross and he can't shoot. I'd understand people liking him if he ever created a goal or a chance. Serious question - why does anyone rate him? He's another one of the players people say will be great when he leaves us (just like people said about Viana and Kluivert who went on to prove them wrong).

If you're correct we should get bids for him from other teams. Hopefully we'll get what we paid for him at least.

As for comparing Jonas to Park, Park scores goals.

Park is far and beyond a more complete player.

I'm sold on shearer btw. Hope he stays. I agree Nolan/Butt were a large factor for our demise, but who ele was there to play instead? Geremi and? If Barton had not got the fucking red card we might..

Shearer looked thoroughly dispirited in that interview and it's the first time I've seen him in that state. That may be down to his emotional attachment to the club, but I don't take quite as much comfort from that as others on this forum. After all, it's a manager we're looking for, not a fan.

I felt it was significant that he said that he needed to think about whether he was 'the right man' to take on what would be a mammoth task. I thought at first he may be just playing his cards close to his chest as a bargaining tool to get more resources from Ashley, but I now think there's a serious issue in there for him. He's always been reluctant to move into management, and has turned down opportunities in the past. It's a very demanding role which makes inroads into a man's personal life, and I don't know if that's for him.

It won't be a matter of going to Ashley, and getting a promise of so many millions to spend to get the club straight back up. Apart from anything else, the budget will depend on unknowns like how many of the old players can be offloaded, and at what price, and how ready the younger ones are to step up. It's more likely to be a long-term job which will be quite unrewarding in the early stages, and the first task will be to try and stop the downward slide.

Shearer took on the job hoping to engineer a rescue mission and he's failed. Management isn't all about glory - you have to remain motivated through the bad times and the only way of doing that is to have a love for the job, or at least a compulsion to do it, no matter what. I think he's wondering himself whether he's got that kind of motivation. This is a man who's never really failed in his professional life before.

What we've seen recently with Keegan is that local sentiment isn't the right reason for giving a man the job, and certainly isn't the right reason for a man to take it. I'd be happy to see Shearer re-appointed if he feels he wants it, but if he's reluctant we'd all be better off if he stepped aside. It may not be a bad idea to get a completely new face in to take fresh look at things. Whatshisname from Swansea might fancy it. Martinez.