At last, fate has given us opportunity to destroy and rebuild.

Guest guinness_fiend

Isnt there a compensation the first season you get relegated from the premiership? Some payment so you wont get bankrupt the first season, or something. I think i read it somewear.

We need to get our Scouts/new scouts to work like hell this summer, and get in some young promosing players for our team + we need to keep some of the "stars" we have today.

Isnt there a compensation the first season you get relegated from the premiership? Some payment so you wont get bankrupt the first season, or something. I think i read it somewear.

We need to get our Scouts/new scouts to work like hell this summer, and get in some young promosing players for our team + we need to keep some of the "stars" we have today.

Aye a parachute payment.

Relegation is not "a blessing in disguise" it is absolutely heartbreaking. Yes we will re-build but I'd much rather do it in the Premier. This will set us back years.

No doubt. Also lets say we were to get back up, it's gonna be such a huge task to actually stay up.

Not if we do things properly. We have a lot of advantages at our disposal compared to every other team that has gone down.

We are a debt free club, owed money from various clubs for players like Milner. We will have a reduced wage bill which has eaten into our club by about £50 million, we will have player sales, which could easily get us £20 million, we have a good base of youngsters and we have appeal, the best Chamionship players would want to come to us imo.

All we have to do is be smart with the money tbh. If Alan does take over, i can imagine him persuading a few of our senior players to stay for at least 6 months, see how we're doing, if we're doing crap then they can leave, if not then stay for promotion. It is key for me that some players stay, i'd like Enrique to stay, Beye to stay, Guthrie and Viduka on a lower wage. If this is done well, then getting back into the PL won't be hard, and staying there would not be too much of a challenge either, we wouldn't be firing for Europe or anything but isn't that the point in rebuilding. The club needs a change of culture, too long have we been the homeless man's galacticos.

Viduka is a strange example to make your point (which I agree with by the way). Viduka's quality is in no doubt but he'd be one of the first out the door for me, even if he wanted to stay. He's symptomatic of everything wrong at our club. Past his best, VERY injury prone, big wages, no hunger (let's not be fooled by his last few games, he cantered around earlier in the season). If we're rebuilding and moving on from Shepherd's ex-galactico transfer policy, then Viduka is one of the prime examples. And yes I say this in spite of the fact he's been one of our best players in recent weeks. Look at his contribution this season, his wages, his age, and you have to conclude he'd be a massive liability in the championship. Handing him a new contract would be evidence that we as a club have learnt nothing.

Funnily enough, losing Viduka and Owen will save us a bomb on wages and yet when you look at their contributions since christmas, it would not make the squad significantly weaker. If we can replace them with strikers who are very talented (at Championship level), hungry and always fit to play we'll be in with a good chance of bouncing back. I just hope Ashley doesn't see Carroll, Ameobi and Lovenkrands as the solution.

Guest Mucky01

too many toon fans seem to think that we can keep the players we like and get rid of the deadwood – you are deluded.

Guest guinness_fiend

too many toon fans seem to think that we can keep the players we like and get rid of the deadwood – you are deluded.

Any players who want to leave will leave.  That is life, unfortunately.

I agree, it will be a combination of getting rid of the deadwood and dealing with those who jump ship.

I agree, it will be a combination of getting rid of the deadwood and dealing with those who jump ship.

To be honest there isnt many any of us would like to keep.

Guest Mucky01

No, it’s getting stuck with the deadwood and dealing with those who are cashed in.

I agree. I'd forget about the likes of Beye, Enrique etc. Clubs will handpick our top performers and there's nothing we can do about it. That's the reality of relegation.

I think the players we have a genuine chance of keeping are: Harper, Krul, Edgar, Taylor, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Carroll, plus the youngsters. We might keep Nolan and R.Taylor since they arrived so recently. A few others might stay on simply because their stock has fallen so considerably, such as Butt, Smith, Geremi, Xisco, or simply because we won't find any takers for them. The rest I'd forget about, any who stay are a bonus but I think realistically any or all of the rest could go. So long as we can keep the spine of a good championship side, and invest wisely in some up and coming Championship players and one or two hungry young players not getting games for Premier League clubs, we should have the resources to be there or thereabouts.

The problem will be getting a new team to gel quickly, and our younger players getting used to the pressure of having to win every week to keep pressure on the top places. This is where we don't look so well equipped for the drop, because we have to make such major changes.

One of things I'm hopeful about it being able to blood lots of youngsters, such as ranger, carrol, krul, kadar etc in a league thats tough but not so uhely different from reserve football.

Your in for a shock!!  :kasper:

Talking of reserves, where will the reserves play, there are no Championship reserve leagues?

too many toon fans seem to think that we can keep the players we like and get rid of the deadwood you are deluded.

I agree. I'd forget about the likes of Beye, Enrique etc. Clubs will handpick our top performers and there's nothing we can do about it. That's the reality of relegation.

I think the players we have a genuine chance of keeping are: Harper, Krul, Edgar, Taylor, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Carroll, plus the youngsters. We might keep Nolan and R.Taylor since they arrived so recently. A few others might stay on simply because their stock has fallen so considerably, such as Butt, Smith, Geremi, Xisco, or simply because we won't find any takers for them. The rest I'd forget about, any who stay are a bonus but I think realistically any or all of the rest could go. So long as we can keep the spine of a good championship side, and invest wisely in some up and coming Championship players and one or two hungry young players not getting games for Premier League clubs, we should have the resources to be there or thereabouts among the top two places or the playoffs.

The problem will be getting a new team to gel quickly, and our younger players getting used to the pressure of having to win every week to keep pressure on the top places. This is where we don't look so well equipped for the drop, because we have to make such major changes.

It's not like the old team gelled at any point so we can only improve on that score. From his interview it does sound like Beye could stay although I suppose that will only be tested when the bids start to come in.

Guest guinness_fiend

To be honest there isnt many any of us would like to keep.

I'd like to see the players scored through in red burned alive (or sold/dumped) and I believe that the players scored through in blue will be looking to move over the summer.

It remains to be seen whether the likes of Beye and Enrique are prepared to play in the Championship.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3988/image1t.gif

(Credit to NUFC.com for the list)

Guest Mucky01

“just above reserve standard”, jeez!

Anyway, we are in the kak with a squad of turkeys, a huge wage bill that needs drastic action but probably won’t be sorted anywhere near as quickly as we would like. No manager, no one in the club who has any idea about the Championship (other than Dowie who’s now no longer employed by us as of today) and an idiot for an owner/chairman.

Put Viduka on a pay-as-you-play contract.

£30k for every match he plays. If he plays all season then it's money well spent. If he's out injured forever then we're losing nothing.

I'm sure Villa did that with Paul McGrath years back and it worked for them.

Duff staying, apparently.  Or wanting to, at least.  Does that count as destroying and/or rebuilding?

If he takes a wage cut its ok to have him in the squad. We can use him in several positions

The more I think about it I really am looking forward to us possibly bringing a number of youngsters through. We've produced very little in terms of home-grown talent over the last 5 years or so and this is a big opportunity for people to step up.