Steve Harper

James

Guest BooBoo

Never thought i'd say this but "James, i agree with you 100%".

Harper is not a Premier League standard keeper.

Krul would have stopped that shot.

I don't care about Harpers performances, the bare truth is that we must choose between a young talent or an older player who isn't going to develop any further, and now is the time to give youth its chance where possible.

Kruls time has come, no doubt. The over-estimation of Harpers ability has been painfully revealed to us since he became first choice.

When people realise the same with Krul (that is, realising that Krul isn't Edvin Van der Sar), what then?

Guest Heneage

I don't care about Harpers performances, the bare truth is that we must choose between a young talent or an older player who isn't going to develop any further, and now is the time to give youth its chance where possible.

I don't like the guy as a person and less so as a player to be honest, he's been useless and made numerous mistakes/bad decisions.

Agree. Harper just isnt very good. It was highly annoying when he kept paniced yesterday a few times and just put us straight under pressure again. He did it at Liverpool and Bolton as well. Just keep hold of the ball for a bit ffs! I think Krul should be our keeper next season.

I'd also like to know how much people have actually seen of Krul. I klnow we do have people on here who actively watch the reserves and kids, but I can safely say I don't know if he's good enough.

I don't like the guy as a person and less so as a player to be honest, he's been useless and made numerous mistakes/bad decisions.

I always thought he came across quite well in interviews.

I'd also like to know how much people have actually seen of Krul. I klnow we do have people on here who actively watch the reserves and kids, but I can safely say I don't know if he's good enough.

I know he's good enough to attract attention for more senior roles at much bigger clubs than us.

I'm guessing he's on a pretty decent wage seeing as he's been here for years and years. Maybe £25k a week or in that area. We simply can't afford to pay a goalkeeper that in the Championship. Especially considering we've got the Dutch Under 21 keeper on the bench.

He's not a bad keeper but I don't think we can justify paying him what we currently do anymore. Get whatever we can for him and promote Krul.  :thup:

A mate of mine who is a Falkirk season ticket holder never stops raving about him, believes he is the best 'keeper they've had in their entire history, now that might not be saying much but he seems to think he would be more than good enough in the Championship.

I know he's good enough to attract attention for more senior roles at much bigger clubs than us.

But how much have you seen of him?

Guest Heneage

My cousins a Celtic fan and said everytime he watched him you could see he had tremendous potential to be a top keeper in Europe. I've seen him handful of times for reserves and caught highlights of him at Falkirk/Carlisle. I would happily put him in the first team on Palermo alone.

Seem a fair bit of Krul at Falkirk and he looked pretty good.  I remember even in a game that Celtic scored 5 against him the commentators were still raving about him.

Thing is if we don't give Krul his chance now he will be off too.  There were a couple of decent Dutch sides linked with him last summer and whispers of interest from Chelsea. I really cannot see him being happy as a back up keeper in the Championship.

A mate of mine who is a Falkirk season ticket holder never stops raving about him, believes he is the best 'keeper they've had in their entire history, now that might not be saying much but he seems to think he would be more than good enough in the Championship.

I remember seeing him in that Celtic game were they got hammered, but he was absolutely oustanding. A bit like Shay was when we got beat 5-1 off the dippers.

Palermo, but since when has my judgement on a player been valid?

Kruls time has come, no doubt. The over-estimation of Harpers ability has been painfully revealed to us since he became first choice.

When people realise the same with Krul (that is, realising that Krul isn't Edvin Van der Sar), what then?

Well, Krul is young and has bags of potential to become a really great goalkeeper (based on various sources of information) and Harper is a good, english goalkeeper, but he isnt goint younger, is he? We need a major overhaul of this team and we need that in every part of the team.

Palermo, but since when has my judgement on a player been valid?

As long as you've seen them James your opinion on any player is valid.

Definitely time for him to go, not good enough.

We need to ditch this not good enough mantra now by the way, given we are now a big Championship club, expectations have to drop.

The issue here is Krul, Forster and Soderberg, and the financial aspect, not Harper's ability as he is undoubtedly better than most keepers in his division :(

Feel sorry for the guy but in the championship we can't really afford to hold onto him, his wage could be used in a more important position as I'm sure Krul is more than good enough for the championship.