Pay cuts

Dave

As Ritchie just mentioned in another thread, the issue of pay cuts keeps coming up time and time again. 'I'd keep him if he took a pay cut' etc.

Thing is, who in their right mind will be willing to take one? None of them, at a guess. The media were convinced our players had contracts that made no mention of changes should the club down, so presumably it's not going to happen. Duff, Smith, Geremi, Barton et al, they're all going to be on crippling wages for a Championship team. We couldn't afford them in the Premier League ffs.

But would we have any legal right to enforce amendments and even terminations to contracts?

As Ritchie just mentioned in another thread, the issue of pay cuts keeps coming up time and time again. 'I'd keep him if he took a pay cut' etc.

Thing is, who in their right mind will be willing to take one? None of them, at a guess. The media were convinced our players had contracts that made no mention of changes should the club down, so presumably it's not going to happen. Duff, Smith, Geremi, Barton et al, they're all going to be on crippling wages for a Championship team. We couldn't afford them in the Premier League ffs.

But would we have any legal right to enforce amendments and even terminations to contracts?

We would put them up for sale I would imagine. Just get whatever we can for them to get them off the wage bill.

If players genuinely want to stay here, then they must know they have to take a pay cut. Any footballer with a brain knows they wont be earning above 50k etc in the Championship.

Guest Heneage

They will assess what offers they get first. And no we have no legal right too, the only right is a moral one that these players owe us.

They will assess what offers they get first. And no we have no legal right too, the only right is a moral one that these players owe us.

I concur - I think if the player wants to stay and help us get back to the Premiership, morally they will know a pay cut is the first thing they will have to do.

I'm sure Ashley would have reivewed contracts and set up contingencies in case of relegation. The first thing they would do is create a transfer list made up of those players who have made them aware of their intentions to join other premiership/european clubs. Assuming that would be at least half of the first team, the next step would be to review those contracts of players who want to stay and fight -  including a salary cut. The players I'm sure will already be aware of this situation and if not will be informed of it in the next week or so. Hopefully, Shearer stays, a bit of consistency happens in the dressing room for a change and Shearer can make a move for some potential targets as well as reviewing the youth team and reserves for some talents that could make the step up.

But I feel I have gone off on a tangent.... so yes, wage cuts are a must!

We would put them up for sale I would imagine. Just get whatever we can for them to get them off the wage bill.

Agreed.

But look at it this way- 200k a week off the wage bill when Owen and Viduka leave. That will be a hefty financial weight off the clubs shoulders, imo.

I'd be amazed if those responsible for drawing up the contracts have not got relegation clauses built in to them. It's ludicrously bad management if they haven't, it's not going to stop anyone signing that 60k a week deal, as they didn't think it was remotely possible.

No one knows for sure in the media, so not taking their word for it. Although this is Newcastle United so utterly stupid things like not including relegation clauses is entirely possible I guess.

It makes no sense not to have a relegation clause in. If every other team has them it's there's no incentive not to have them in, especially for a team likelier than most to go down.

I'd be amazed if those responsible for drawing up the contracts have not got relegation clauses built in to them. It's ludicrously bad management if they haven't, it's not going to stop anyone signing that 60k a week deal, as they didn't think it was remotely possible.

No one knows for sure in the media, so not taking their word for it. Although this is Newcastle United so utterly stupid things like not including relegation clauses is entirely possible I guess.

And no think why we're in this position... :kinnear:

We sue them for fraud.

Impersonating a football player, or something like that?

what about negotiating a salary cut with a view to increasing it above what it was if we gain promotion straight away

That thought had crossed my mind. If there isn't a salary cut clause in case of relegation in the players contracts then surely that would be the obvious option, rather than retaining them and having their salaries really damage the clubs books.

I'm sure Ashley would have reivewed contracts and set up contingencies in case of relegation.

I can just imagine the conversation now:

"Hey, Damian, you know that contract you signed 2 years ago that had no relegation clause in it? Well would you mind signing this one that does have a clause in it?"

Just not going to happen, is it?

Guest helios_centric

You would think a relegation pay cut clause would be standard fare in any contract nowadays. Jamie Redknapp said his contracts had them in and he was not really plying his trade at bottom of the table clubs very often. Still, as others have pointed out, no amount of incompetence should surprise us at this club.

Talk of a moral obligation from our players to take a pay cut is just pie in the sky I think (although clearly they do owe us). Most of them have few if any morals and are dictated to by their agents. Add to that the recent tax hike on high earners and they will already be feeling hard done by without volunteering to wave goodbye to more of their pay packet.

We have to be prepared to listen to any offers for any of the squad to be honest. As much as we value a player, they're only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for them. If, for example, Fulham come in for Martins with a £5m bid, even though it's only half what we gave for him, we're not really in any position to haggle.  :undecided:

They're not going to take a pay-cut so we need to get them off the wage bill by accepting shit offers. That's the craic and we all knew it.

Guest gggg

They'll all be pushed out to premiership teams on lower wages, with us making up the difference.

Our wage bill will already be cut by £14 million before the start of the new season with contracts ending for Owen, Viduka, Gonzales, Cacapa and Lovenkrands.  That alone would have made our wage bill affordable again if we were still in the Premiership.  Obviously now we need to cut it by a further £15m-£20m.  I don't think we'd have any problem selling Coloccini, Barton, Martins, Smith and Gutierrez and they will all want to leave IMO.

That's another £14 million chopped off and I'd say that would leave us just about ok financially.  But if we can we should also do our best to get rid of Nolan, Duff, Geremi, Butt and Ameobi to save a further £12.5 million, then we'd have more then halved our wage bill (from £70m down to about £30m).  Leaving us with:

Harper, Krul, Forster, Soderberg

Enrique, Bassong, R. Taylor, S. Taylor, Beye, Kadar, Edgar, Tozer, Lough, Morris

Guthrie, Inman, LuaLua

Carroll, Xisco, Ranger, Zamblera, Baheng, Donaldson

Not surprisingly we'd definitely need some midfielders (:lol:) and a Striker.

Best side (?)

Harper

Beye S.Taylor Bassong Enrique

R. Taylor New Guthrie Lualua

Carroll Xisco

EDIT: Decided Lovenkrands will likely leave and that I wouldn't even want to keep Ameobi and also that Butt is too shit to keep at £45,000 per week if we can get rid.