The last promotion side..

Benwell Lad

.... was different to those which were promoted before them. They had a stable and united club behind them and total support of the fans. The board and manager invested wisely and the club was positioned to progress in the next league, and not just come back down after a season or two.

Alan Shearer (or whoever is charged with the task) will be wise to study that model and try to build a similar type of team. People calling for the departure of players like Duff and Butt should be aware that they were just the type of players Keegan brought to the club to gain promotion. His was a team built around experience and it allowed flair players to express themselves. He was also ruthless and very quickly discarded some of his key players as soon as promotion was achieved.

This time round it's very different. Football and business have changed and the club has suffered a huge negative blow, last time round we were a second division team on the ascendency, the general mood was positive.

What has not changed is that we will fill every away ground we visit next season, each game will be that club's cup final and the atmosphere will be intense and intimidating. To cope with that we will need experienced players, kids alone would not deal with it, so Shearer's team will need to be a blend of experience and flair.

Hopefully we'll find a couple of gems with pace to give us something different, although Waddle's or Beardsley's may be in short supply.

What will certainly be needed if we are to bounce back will be a totally UNITED club. We need a strong united management team, only players totally commited to the cause and fans who support rather than bicker and criticise. We can't turn back the clock but we can learn a lot from the way the club was 16 or 17 years ago when we last got promoted and went on to challenge for the Premier League title shortly afterwards.

As you've said we had plenty of experience last time, and we had some very good youngsters in the team too. The likes of Clark, Watson and Elliot. Keegan was excellent in the transfer market too mind.

Shearer is untested in the transfer market as of now so there is potential to create a winning team. The only possible major stumbling block however will be whether or not he is backed and given the funds. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of players Shearer would look for considering he was one of the world's best.

Bracewell,Lee and Sellars were key men in midfield last time around.With not much tinkering,virtually that same side finished 3rd in the Prem.

Sellars was extremely underrated in his time here, and looking back in history. Some of his one touch wing play was fantastic. Also that free-kick against the Mackems.

Bracewell,Lee and Sellars were key men in midfield last time around.With not much tinkering,virtually that same side finished 3rd in the Prem.

Sellars was extremely underrated in his time here, and looking back in history. Some of his one touch wing play was fantastic. Also that free-kick against the Mackems.

Totally agree...at the same time Turnip Taylor was picking Andy Sinton on the left of midfield for England...no wonder we didn't qualify for World Cup '94.Sellars imo. was the best left side midfield in England at the time.

We desperately need a Killer Kilcline mk2

Never as good (or as hard) as the hype that surrounded him, but great attitude none the less.

Perhaps if Colloccini grew a beard.... ;D

A pair of balls wouldn't go astray either....

As you've said we had plenty of experience last time, and we had some very good youngsters in the team too. The likes of Clark, Watson and Elliot. Keegan was excellent in the transfer market too mind.

Watson and Elliott didnt get a sniff under Keegan that year though. Alan Thompson fucked off that summer too iirc.

They were different times.

This all seems much more like the first season we got relegated in 1989. Flapping about and hoping to fuck we get back up.

Keegan was fortunate with some of the players he had here - Howey, O Brien, Clark, Peacock, Kelly, Pav and even Kevin Brock all played a fair bit. However, he bought experience and got shot of those who couldnt push on. Franz Carr played very well in the first few weeks until KK decided Rob Lee was needed. Nobody moaned though. Same with Sheedy and Sellars. Meant we had a bit of depth. Quinny played in the cup and scored but never got much time either.

KK was ruthless but he knew what he was doing. He also had the backing of SJH and there was an air of trust about the place.

Not so sure its going to be easy to build that again. Thats what worries me about the Shearer appointment. We seem to go for a messiah type of figure who has the charisma the fans want. If thats what gets us up short term then fair enough but hopefully he has seen the bigger picture. KK getting rid of the reserves knocked us back a bit and much as people say our youth set up is shite, we have been to more cup finals in the last 3 or 4 years than we did in the previous 20 (not sure if that is saying much though).

Place needs calm and reason not a whirlwind of change without rhyme or reason. Hope it happens, not convinced it will.

Watson and Elliott didnt get a sniff under Keegan that year though. Alan Thompson fucked off that summer too iirc.

They were different times.

This all seems much more like the first season we got relegated in 1989. Flapping about and hoping to fuck we get back up.

Keegan was fortunate with some of the players he had here - Howey, O Brien, Clark, Peacock, Kelly, Pav and even Kevin Brock all played a fair bit. However, he bought experience and got shot of those who couldnt push on. Franz Carr played very well in the first few weeks until KK decided Rob Lee was needed. Nobody moaned though. Same with Sheedy and Sellars. Meant we had a bit of depth. Quinny played in the cup and scored but never got much time either.

KK was ruthless but he knew what he was doing. He also had the backing of SJH and there was an air of trust about the place.

Not so sure its going to be easy to build that again. Thats what worries me about the Shearer appointment. We seem to go for a messiah type of figure who has the charisma the fans want. If thats what gets us up short term then fair enough but hopefully he has seen the bigger picture. KK getting rid of the reserves knocked us back a bit and much as people say our youth set up is shite, we have been to more cup finals in the last 3 or 4 years than we did in the previous 20 (not sure if that is saying much though).

Place needs calm and reason not a whirlwind of change without rhyme or reason. Hope it happens, not convinced it will.

Aye I'm sure I read Thompson was a bit of a twat or something at the time, or was getting too big for his boots.

.... was different to those which were promoted before them. They had a stable and united club behind them and total support of the fans. The board and manager invested wisely and the club was positioned to progress in the next league, and not just come back down after a season or two.

Alan Shearer (or whoever is charged with the task) will be wise to study that model and try to build a similar type of team. People calling for the departure of players like Duff and Butt should be aware that they were just the type of players Keegan brought to the club to gain promotion. His was a team built around experience and it allowed flair players to express themselves. He was also ruthless and very quickly discarded some of his key players as soon as promotion was achieved.

This time round it's very different. Football and business have changed and the club has suffered a huge negative blow, last time round we were a second division team on the ascendency, the general mood was positive.

What has not changed is that we will fill every away ground we visit next season, each game will be that club's cup final and the atmosphere will be intense and intimidating. To cope with that we will need experienced players, kids alone would not deal with it, so Shearer's team will need to be a blend of experience and flair.

Hopefully we'll find a couple of gems with pace to give us something different, although Waddle's or Beardsley's may be in short supply.

What will certainly be needed if we are to bounce back will be a totally UNITED club. We need a strong united management team, only players totally commited to the cause and fans who support rather than bicker and criticise. We can't turn back the clock but we can learn a lot from the way the club was 16 or 17 years ago when we last got promoted and went on to challenge for the Premier League title shortly afterwards.

Very good post but there's a bit of difference between Sellars and Duff. Sellars provided brilliant service, he was a sort of left-footed version of Solano in his clever use of the ball. In the promotion season Cole got a load of goals via Scott. We are missing this sort of football intelligence in our side a lot at this moment.

Guest firetotheworks

Exactly, were completely void of anyone who could even be mentioned in the same sentence as Sellars, Lee, Bracewell, Solano etc. None of our midfield have any attacking craft whatsoever. Guthrie is the only one who can stick in a decent cross out of the lot of them.

Owen, Viduka and Martins are either gone or going so for me BEckford from Leeds would be a certainty. Apparently he's available after Leeds failed to win promotion. My Leeds ST holder mate reckons he's a cracking player and his goals tally last season was excellant considering he missed a fair few games due to injury (27 i think my mate said)

He does though come with bucketloads of attitude and not all of it good. Him and Ranger.

Guest float one in

Good posts in this thread... 92-93 was the most enjoyable season I have ever known, closely followed by 93-94 in the Premier League. I'm already really looking forward to next season in the hope that going to the match will be more enjoyable again.

It's true that players like Peacock, Kelly, O'Brien gave KK a good starting point after staying up, and the signings of Venison, Beresford and Lee in particular in pre-season/early season were absolute masterstrokes, but the thing that I remember most about that team, certainly after we'd strung together the first 3 or 4 at the start of the season, was the confidence of the players, and that was all down to KK. We played with such an attacking verve, with everyone of the outfield players desperate to get on the ball and get us going forward, the other teams just couldn't live with us. I remember Lee Clark in particular being the absolute personification of that throughout the whole season - he was always wanting to get on the ball, making things happen and never stopping running. Whatever squad we end up with at the start of next season I would love to think Shearer-if he' stays-would be able to inspire something similar, but KK was a total one off when it came to motivation and inspiration and so unfortunately I doubt it... He's a charismatic bloke in his own way though, and I think he's got it in him to inpose his own ehtos on the club now, if he gets the backing and a bit of luck (not to be underestimated, that!). Hopefully one of the good things about next season will be discovering a totally new set of players - I am sick of this lot, and am looking forward to seeing us sign lads that are on their way up, maybe from the lower divisions or maybe from our academy (haven't watched either in recent seasons), who aren't yet multi millionaires, are hungry, and will appreciate playing in front of the support they will get at Newcastle next season.

Ive seen us promoted twice, followed us home and away both times, im gonna see a third time next season.

Theres nowt like a promotion season, nowt.

If you go up, you want to do it through the play-offs like. Been to two play-off finals, both were utterly superb.  :aww:

Totally agree...at the same time Turnip Taylor was picking Andy Sinton on the left of midfield for England...no wonder we didn't qualify for World Cup '94.Sellars imo. was the best left side midfield in England at the time.  :clap2:

:clap:

Sellars was/is one of my all time favourites, and my god if we can get someone half as good as him providing width then we will be very well served.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Totally agree...at the same time Turnip Taylor was picking Andy Sinton on the left of midfield for England...no wonder we didn't qualify for World Cup '94.Sellars imo. was the best left side midfield in England at the time.  :clap2:

Sellars was/is one of my all time favourites, and my god if we can get someone half as good as him providing width then we will be very well served.

Yeah "Salty" was a good player. I happen to think we would have won the Prem that fateful season if we had kept him. Putting him  on when Ginola was fading in some games even, would have shored up the left side while still being creative, Liverpool being an example.

Reference to Thompson is interesting as I heard that Keegan practically ran him out of the club after a big disagreement. When he returned in a coaching capacity (probably another "unWise" decision) that was the first indication I felt that things were a bit strange while KK was back again, though maybe they had sorted out the disagreement through time.

We desperately need a Killer Kilcline mk2

Never as good (or as hard) as the hype that surrounded him, but great attitude none the less.

Perhaps if Colloccini grew a beard.... ;D

A pair of balls wouldn't go astray either....

I'm still trying to work out if the irony is intended...

Guest Phil K

Was thinking along these lines myself

KK brought in some enthusiastic players at the back end of their careers and some young lads determined to learn and succeed

KK said at the time he wanted people who were not the kind who cause trouble in the dressing room but would be encouraging others the right way

Venison was a great signing in that regard as an example. Bracewell if I remember right was a solid performer too.

Yes...forgot about Scott Sellars. He too was a classic player of the type a club needs.

Yeah "Salty" was a good player. I happen to think we would have won the Prem that fateful season if we had kept him. Putting him  on when Ginola was fading in some games even, would have shored up the left side while still being creative, Liverpool being an example.

Reference to Thompson is interesting as I heard that Keegan practically ran him out of the club after a big disagreement. When he returned in a coaching capacity (probably another "unWise" decision) that was the first indication I felt that things were a bit strange while KK was back again, though maybe they had sorted out the disagreement through time.

That's a good point about Thompson actually.

People outside of Newcaslte supporters don't actually realise how much of a cunt Keegan could be as well if you crossed him. Which is what all managers need to be when the time arises.

Was thinking along these lines myself

KK brought in some enthusiastic players at the back end of their careers and some young lads determined to learn and succeed

KK said at the time he wanted people who were not the kind who cause trouble in the dressing room but would be encouraging others the right way

Venison was a great signing in that regard as an example. Bracewell if I remember right was a solid performer too.

Yes...forgot about Scott Sellars. He too was a classic player of the type a club needs.

Venison was only 28 when he joined NUFC..