Fatty in the mirror

Toon Amy

The Mirror

IF THE GEORDIE ABRAMOVICH TURNED UP I'D SELL BUT THAT IS FANTASY SO I'LL FIGHT ON

Simon Bird

FREDDY Shepherd launched his fightback in Newcastle United's boardroom late yesterday afternoon.

He laid it on the line in his straight-talking Geordie style about protests, his future at the club, his errors and Glenn Roeder's future.

He said: "I'm a Byker lad who fought his way to school and fought his way back. I am not running away from this fight."

Advertisement

For a chairmanship that has been characterised by big talk, there was a humbling admission that he has "made mistakes" during his nine years as chairman, including appointing Graeme Souness as boss. An admission of culpability is probably just what the fans needed to hear.

There is an acceptance that if a super-rich buyer suddenly came along, "a Geordie Abramovich", Shepherd would step down, but as it stands there is no one out there just now, so he has to battle on.

The 65-year-old also expressed support for manager Roeder and a demand that his well-rewarded players, wage bill £52.2million, sort out the club's lowly position.

And he strenuously denied ever forcing a manager to buy a player or interfering in transfer policy, contrary to claims by former bosses. He had been provoked to have his say after fans called for his resignation on Saturday after a home defeat to Sheffield United saw the Toon slip second bottom.

Shepherd said: "I will not walk out on the business. I've made mistakes, but show me someone who hasn't in the world of football. It is not an exact science.

"The biggest criticism is that I've been too kind to managers with funds and too generous to players.

"I don't get upset by the protests. It's up to me to see it through and I'm not going to run away from it - what am I going to do? Walk out on this club.

"There is nobody else around to sort it out.

"If a Geordie Abramovich knocked on the door we'd have to do business. I'd gladly do whatever to secure him."

Talks with investment firm Belgravia Group about a possible takeover have been going on for six months, but have failed to produce a concrete offer.

Shepherd added: "I'm not daft - of course I listen to the supporters because I'm one of them. But hindsight is a great management tool. I've been accused of many things but I can't be accused of not providing for the manager or giving players great wages.

"But when you are in Newcastle and you are competing with Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United and we are 300 miles from London, it is difficult to get star players up here.

"We have certain things against us like the weather and being 300 miles from the capital.

"Yes, there have been mistakes but regardless of what people say I have only ever dismissed two managers - Bobby and Graeme."

There had been claims Shepherd infuriated ex-bosses by lining up big-name transfers for them, rather than building a balanced squad.

Shepherd countered: "I have never ever signed anyone. Transfers are a manager's decision. I didn't just go out and see Martins and say 'I have found a player for you Glenn'. I have never done that."

Shepherd insists he is not worried about relegation this season and added: "We still have the team to get out of it. If it was Christmas I would be worried, but we still have five months of the season.

"I couldn't have done any more than what we did in the summer with what was available.

"What I can do is help the manager as much as I can in the transfer window. All I can do is my best."

SHEP ON HIS MANY MANAGERS

Kenny Dalglish

'Sir John Hall was chairman when we brought in Kenny to replace Kevin Keegan who had resigned. Everyone wanted him and was positive about him. Everyone wanted Kenny.'

Ruud Gullit

'We had 5,000 out in the stands singing songs about sexy football, so I didn't see many objections at the time. Gullitt resigned and made a great speech. He didn't take a penny with him.'

Glenn Roeder

'He did a fantastic job for us last season. I got thousands of emails backing him for the job. They were saying 'give it to Glenn Roeder'. Not many said don't give him the job. Now it's time to let him get on with the job.'

Bobby Robson

'Everyone wanted Sir Bobby and we know that. But he was here for five years. I loved Sir Bobby, he was a great man and I am off to see him this week. I still have a relationship with him.'

Graeme Souness

'The only one the crowd did not want 100 per cent was Graeme." Asked if appointing Souness was a mistake, he said: "It's important, especially at Newcastle, to take supporters with you as manager.'

==============================

Does any one actually believe any of this?  :roll:

Guest Wally_McFool

Glenn Roeder

'He did a fantastic job for us last season. I got thousands of emails backing him for the job. They were saying 'give it to Glenn Roeder'. Not many said don't give him the job. Now it's time to let him get on with the job.'

They were saying give it to Glenn.....More fecking lies, what about the polls in the Ronnie Gill where O'Neill and Hitzfeld were clearly the most wanted managers.

The fat parasite makes me sick.  :wullie:

"But when you are in Newcastle and you are competing with Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United and we are 300 miles from London, it is difficult to get star players up here.

"We have certain things against us like the weather and being 300 miles from the capital."

what the fec's he going on about? The money spent on the likes of Owen, Duff, Martins, Luque just in the last 18 months alone - are they not what is considered 'star players'. It's a bit of a daft excuse to use. Especially when players like Duff and Parker where being coverted by teams further south an all!

"We have certain things against us like the weather and being 300 miles from the capital."

what the fec's he going on about? The money spent on the likes of Owen, Duff, Martins, Luque just in the last 18 months alone - are they not what is considered 'star players'. It's a bit of a daft excuse to use. Especially when players like Duff and Parker where being coverted by teams further south an all!

I agree. I don't think we've had that much trouble attracting players, not for the prices we've paid anyway.

I think the whole article is full of lies but I just wanted other peoples opinions on it.

I loved Sir Bobby, he was a great man and I am off to see him this week. I still have a relationship with him.'

Aye, that's why you said publically you wouldn't renew his contract, don't want to be the one to shoot bambi, then shot  him.  :roll:

The only reason you have a relationship with Sir Bobby is guilt over his illness.  :wullie:

Guest emre belezoglu

What kind of fan are you insulting the chairman. He has Newcastle in the heart. Disgraceful. He has helped me alot. If it wasn't for him we would be in championship.

Emre

What kind of fan are you insulting the chairman. He has Newcastle in the heart. Disgraceful. He has helped me alot. If it wasn't for him we would be in championship.

Emre

:lol:

Aren't you missing training this morning?

Fatty in the mirror??

http://cavediving.org/fat%20man%20looking%20mirror.jpg

That explains it! It's the f*cking mirrors fault we're in this sh*t.

He shows a bank statement reading £20m in the red, it appears in the mirror he has £100m.

He shows a poll showing Hitzfeld and O'Neill as number 1 choice, the mirror tells him Souness & Roeder.

Smash it Freddie.

So if the fans wanted the manager Freddie is clear of any responsibility for it going tits up. Right.

He's supposed appoint the manager because of the credentials, not because he gets a thousand e-mails

asking him to appoint someone.

It was actually like this if you believe Skysports and chronicle:

"I will not walk out on the business. I've made mistakes but so has everyone in football. Probably the biggest criticism is that I've been too kind to managers with funds and too generous to players. But when you are in Newcastle and you are competing with Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United, we are 300 miles from London, to get players up here we have things against us."

So you can see he means that we sometimes have to pay a little northern extra...

It was actually like this if you believe Skysports and chronicle:

"I will not walk out on the business. I've made mistakes but so has everyone in football. Probably the biggest criticism is that I've been too kind to managers with funds and too generous to players. But when you are in Newcastle and you are competing with Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United, we are 300 miles from London, to get players up here we have things against us."

So you can see he means that we sometimes have to pay a little northern extra...

that actually makes more sense. Whatta surprise, the Mirror doing their own thing with quotes :D