Would you welcome a takeover?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I feel this is going to be somewhat one-sided, but never mind. :lol:

Would you welcome a takeover of the club right now? Ashley had well and truly burnt his bridges with the vast majority of fans before we were relegated, but do we need the uncertainty of another takeover?

This isn't about whether you like Ashley or believe his apology is a step in the right direction, but whether you believe a change in ownership at present is good for the future of the club.

As ever, I can see both sides of the argument. I hate what Ashley's done to us but part of me wants him to pay for his mistakes and puts things right. Get us back where we were then consider bailing out. As I don't know who the potential buyer is, I don't know if they're necessarily any better. Ashley clearly wants Shearer as manager, the new lot may not. And do we really want an owner who can only afford to buy us now we're in the Championship?

PS - yes, this thread has come about because of new rumours. See here: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5350286,00.html

Pretty much. Although having welcomed the last one I'm now fully aware that sometimes it's better the devil you know. I can't believe anyone wouldn't be excited by one though.

No! we need stability more than any thing at the moment. If we are going to progress at all it's most crucial to stay away from the head lines and concentrate on rebuilding the club.

Not sure.  If there is going to be one then it needs to happen soon and quickly.  The last thing we need is to seemingly stablilise things for a few months, then get taken over and all the uncertainly starting again.  No on-off stories of potential takeovers would be good.

I would be no apart from story's like this appearing all the time.  If he want rid i want him out.  If he want to spend the next decade here then he should stay. 

Not sure.  If there is going to be one then it needs to happen soon and quickly.  The last thing we need is to seemingly stablilise things for a few months, then get taken over and all the uncertainly starting again.  No on-off stories of potential takeovers would be good.

That's a good point you both make. If we're trying to rebuild the club what we definitely don't need is rumour and speculation every other week about Ashley selling up.

He needs to either commit or fuck off sharpish.

Yes. While he's gone a long way to putting right his mistakes in hopefully appointing Shearer, we need an owner who will invest in the team rather than look at the budget. Ashley's cost-cutting might have been due after the mis-management that went before but to gamble with the future of the club rather than appoint a manger and invest in the players who could have safeguarded it was criminally negligent.

I have to admit, despite the monumental screw-ups that have been made over the last year and a bit by Ashley and his cronies, my reaction is the same as that of others in the thread: stability is needed. Ashley's team MUST have learnt from their mistakes by now, surely? Assuming that they have, and that they're willing to listen to the likes of Shearer regarding the footballing side of things - people who might just know a thing or two about football - then they might just be able to turn it around still.

But they have to invest, and I'm sure they know that.

The last thing we need is another bumbling bunch of idiots to come in and make their own mistakes, which THEY then need time to "learn from", throwing us further into turmoil in the process.

Guest johnson293

Unsure....

not entirely sure whether to trust Mike Ashley anymore, despite the apologies and admissions of mistakes made. There is also the question whetehr Ashley is in a position to provide the funds/support needed longterm, should we not get back up at the first attempt.

However, if a takeover was on the horizon, I'd hope it happened quickly, and didn't disrupt preparations for next season, unlike when Ashley took over and pretty much wrecked Allardyces plans.

And, should Shearer not stay on, we know the kind of thing Ashley is likely to do.......  :kinnear:

However - agree with others that the most importnat thing for the club going forward right now, is stability.

Yes. While he's gone a long way to putting right his mistakes in hopefully appointing Shearer, we need an owner who will invest in the team rather than look at the budget. Ashley's cost-cutting might have been due after the mis-management that went before but to gamble with the future of the club rather than appoint a manger and invest in the players who could have safeguarded it was criminally negligent.

Look at some of the high earners we have now though. A lot of them were signed under Ashley.

Whilst there are obviously potentially better owners out there we could still end up with another Briatore.

As I said in the other thread: better the devil you know.

Stability is key.

Another reason why he should go is that he's still looking to sell the club. We need an owner who wants to be here, we aren't going to have stability while Ashley has one eye on the exit door.

I have to admit, despite the monumental screw-ups that have been made over the last year and a bit by Ashley and his cronies, my reaction is the same as that of others in the thread: stability is needed. Ashley's team MUST have learnt from their mistakes by now, surely? Assuming that they have, and that they're willing to listen to the likes of Shearer regarding the footballing side of things - people who might just know a thing or two about football - then they might just be able to turn it around still.

But they have to invest, and I'm sure they know that.

The last thing we need is another bumbling bunch of idiots to come in and make their own mistakes, which THEY then need time to "learn from", throwing us further into turmoil in the process.

Exactly. What if a new lot come in with promises of this, that and the other, then proceed to bring in a system they believe is the answer to our prayers which goes tits up? Sound familiar? There will always be people at this level of business who think they can make things work despite evidence to the contrary.

At least with the current owner he knows now what is required.

Look at some of the high earners we have now though. A lot of them were signed under Ashley.

I don't blame him solely for those, most of them were signed by Allardyce who was Shepherd's man.

No. Not at the moment. There arnt many weeks until the start of the season and theres ALOT of work to do. If something happens during the season then so be it, but it would be a disaster if it happened now and we were left standing still for a month or two.