Is Rooney being wasted?

Parky

With this deeper, wider role.

It isn't so obvious when Man U dominate games and he gets plenty of the ball, but tonight he looked lost out there. Over the longer term, it seems to me he has lost a bit of confidence/sharpness around goal.

Should he go back to playing more centrally and around the box?

I read an article not too long ago called "My Rooney is better than your Rooney" or something along those lines. It's a good read I'll try find it.

Edit: It was basically about how it appears by turning him into a team player Man United have taken something from his game that was present during the Everton days.

Easy answer is yes, but he's been playing there for a while now and many consider him to have been very good this season.

I suppose it's similar to the 'Gerrard on the right' thing. I think both are good enough players to compensate but really they should be in their 'best' positions.

I've thought that for a long time. Sir Alex has changed him as a player and the boy and England aren't reaping the benefits.

He seems very reluctant to just put his foot through the ball like he used to tbh

I read an article not too long ago called "My Rooney is better than your Rooney" or something along those lines. It's a good read I'll try find it.

Quite correct, don't have the link either, but IIRC, saying how the Rooney at Everton, although rough around the edges, was actually exciting to watch and defenders feared him. I simply don't see the same Rooney at Man Utd. He's been restrained, perhaps for a more well rounded longer career or whatever, but I no longer think "blimey this lad's gonna do something special" when he's on the ball - a characteristic that was associated with him 2 or 3 years ago.

I've thought that for a long time. Sir Alex has changed him as a player and the boy and England aren't reaping the benefits.

He seems very reluctant to just put his foot through the ball like he used to tbh

That has become very apparent, or when he does it isn't as instinctive as it used to be. Seems to spend too much time looking for Ronaldo as well.

Would be good for him if Ronaldo does leave.

Guest firetotheworks

It's hard to tell because to me he seems like the type of player who doesn't really have a defined position. If he can be versatile then he can punish teams from different areas. Against most he's incredibly effective on the left, but tonight, despite seeing a fair bit of the ball when Man U actually had the ball, he was ineffective.

For England I'd play him there simply because its a little bit of a problem area and he's used to playing there now. I was thinking about this today actually.

Still the brightest young English talent we've produced since Gazza imo. Ferguson is trying to 'round' him like he did to Andy Cole but he'll end up a better more consistent player, if less spectacular.

Guest firetotheworks

Haha, here comes the old Rooney's being wasted, as in 'he only performs like a world class player abour about 5 times a season, so let's make excuses for him"

Old news.

Has someone logged in as you and started making ridiculous statements or something? Christ.

Haha, here comes the old Rooney's being wasted, as in 'he only performs like a world class player abour about 5 times a season, so let's make excuses for him"

Old news.

:lol:

Still the brightest young English talent we've produced since Gazza imo. Ferguson is trying to 'round' him like he did to Andy Cole but he'll end up a better more consistent player, if less spectacular.

Respectfully disagree. I'd say Gerrard is currently the only genuine class act in the England side.

Prefer the old Rooney. But take your point.

Respectfully disagree. I'd say Gerrard is currently the only genuine class act in the England side.

And Lampard surely?

Guest firetotheworks

There's plenty of class acts in the England team, its the team as a whole that isn't a class act.

Rio, Terry, The Coles, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney are all the gems imo

Prefer the old Rooney. But take your point.

The old Rooney was raw, unpredictable and spontaneous. Not the things Fergie likes in a player. He needs to know what he's going to get out of a player and he's moulding Rooney into exactly what he wants - a player who is capable of playing really well in a few positions but who he can unleash a few times a season.

There's plenty of class acts in the England team, its the team as a whole that isn't a class act.

Tactically they have been lacking in the past, mainly not having patience. Capello is well on the way to fixing that however.

Rooney should have been more central today for me and Tevez should have started, they hunt well together with CR as the loose forward.

Guest The Libertine

Quite correct, don't have the link either, but IIRC, saying how the Rooney at Everton, although rough around the edges, was actually exciting to watch and defenders feared him. I simply don't see the same Rooney at Man Utd. He's been restrained, perhaps for a more well rounded longer career or whatever, but I no longer think "blimey this lad's gonna do something special" when he's on the ball - a characteristic that was associated with him 2 or 3 years ago.

that reminded me of how he played at euro 2004. we've lost THAT player for good now. he's still world class on his day, though his "days" are less frequent that others.

You completely beat me to it there, reminds me of Cole in a lot of ways.  Everyone went on about how Cole became a better all-round player (which was true) but he was never as dynamic or single-minded and would never get you 41 goals a season again.  Maybe 41 goals was a 1 off in our life time anyway, but you get my drift.

Summary: forget Newcastle, Man U ruin good players, fact.

I feel the need to point out that that was a joke.

Rooney is the only one i would describe as a special talent out of that lot though.