Nigerian bus driver kills four Barca supporters (One for babatunde)

Tooj

Nigerian bus driver kills four Barca supporters

Reuters

May 28, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

A Manchester United fan in Nigeria killed four people when he drove his minibus into a crowd of Barcelona supporters after his team lost the Champions League final, police said on Thursday.

The crowd in the town of Ogbo were celebrating Barcelona's victory after Wednesday night's match when the bus drove into them. A police spokeswoman said 10 people were injured and the driver was arrested.

"The driver had passed the crowd then made a U-turn and ran into them," she said.

Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0 in what was hailed as a "dream final" between two of Europe's best clubs. Both teams have large fan bases in Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.

Probably been posted like but I was wondering if these things are a common occurrence? Obviously not the exact thing but you get what I mean.

It can't be as bad as this analogy that a fellow Newcastle fan posted before about the head of the Nigerian FA insisting Martins should leave us.

Well, its bad enough he thinks his opinion counts for anything, which of course it doesn't, but he also thinks he is knowledgeable on football. I'm sorry I didn't realize Nigeria were shit now and can't even qualify for the World Cup ahead of Togo and Angola. And how is the Nigerian League these days? Are Giraffe United still top?

We all know African football is largely shit. I don't mean individual players who play in Europe - most are very talented - but I'm talking on a level involving international games and their own domestic leagues. We have Pele who should have been institutionalized many years ago when he spouts his bullshit about erections and an African team winning the World Cup, which lets face it, will never happen. I will eat out my mother's stench trench if that ever happened. I mean Togo and Angola were talentless in the World Cup, while Ghana just about got out of the group and I'll admit Ivory Coast weren't too bad. But it was mostly awful.

I have been developing a recent report on the state of domestic African football and I present to you my stunning findings right now in this world exclusive:

1) In some shitholes like Congo and Gabon they use dead Hippos for goalposts.

2) In Equatorial Guinea they have a unique system of floodlights - you know when they fail when it begins to rain. Then they ask the crowd to huddle together and light some more candles.

3) In Botswana they have a crocodile-infested moat surrounding the pitch in case of crowd trouble.

4) In Zimbabwe, the current champions are Lion Alexandra, backed by Robert Mugabe, and are literally a team of ferocious lion's. They won the title in an epic final day match where they ate the entire opposing team, including the coaching staff, the Harare Witchdoctors.

5) A new square ball has been invented in Lesotho, but after breaking the legs of the 100 most talented footballers in the country (i.e. Sunday League level over here) the country broke into chaos and a swift military coup took power, leaving 200,000 people dead and installing a new dictator, Kofi Annan, on the throne. Since Lesotho has seized to exist after Kofi ran off with its entire treasury, which included a lion's mane, 2 mangos and an ivory dildo.

Some shit team can have Martins as long as they muster the appropriate transfer fee, which would probably ruin the economy of half of Africa. Freddy Shepherd recently turned down a derisory bid from Wildebeest Academicals of 4 bananas and 12 of their most beautiful native virgins - Shepherd of course told them to fuck off, remarking that he'd seen better looking women in Newcastle.

As I'm sure you'll agree, the whole thing is a rancid state of affairs.

It can't be as bad as this analogy that a fellow Newcastle fan posted before about the head of the Nigerian FA insisting Martins should leave us.

mental stuff

I would say Stevie but not enough swearing...

Guest Phil K

Typical petulant Man U fan, eh ?

"We're supposed to win all the time"

I see he's another "Manchester born" Man U fan, too....

One for me o?! In a country of 165 million there's bound to be a few nutters :lol:

Honestly, I'm disgusted by this though. I don't care if some crazed idiot tops himself over trivialities like this, but when innocents become involved it really angers me. These people were just enjoying and cherishing their football like the majority of us males in the world do and some madman has given them this undignified death that wil be stuck in the papers for those in the "first world" to laugh at.

Honestly Tooj, I think there is a much football violence in the rest of the world as there is in places like England, but when you are talking of places wheqre order is not expected and lawlessness is common place the scale of any violence will be larger. This is probaly the same reason there is such violence in South America or even Italy.

I seem to remember there being quite a high proportion of nutters in Nigeria. Perhaps it was just the driving.

Pretty evil thing to do. Tragic for the victims and their families.