Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Jukka Raitala. That left back we had on trial earlier this season. We told him we're following his progress....

Has started the season very well here. I think especially now we're in Championship he could be a great signing. Atleast PSV & Leverkusen have also been following him recently but I reckon we could maybe snap him...

You can watch him here:

2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship

15 June 2009 18:15 ENGLAND - FINLAND

:shifty:

Jukka Raitala. That left back we had on trial earlier this season. We told him we're following his progress....

Has started the season very well here. I think especially now we're in Championship he could be a great signing. Atleast PSV & Leverkusen have also been following him recently but I reckon we could maybe snap him...

You can watch him here:

2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship

15 June 2009 18:15 ENGLAND - FINLAND

:shifty:

I think he would probably stick two fingers up seeing as we snubbed him earlier in the year. He had offers from several top tier teams in Europe aswell didnt he?

Surman would be a great start. Was very impressed with him in the prior season in particular.

Bit of a Gareth Barry type but not as strong physically yet. His left foot is sweet and though he can play out wide he is more influential through the middle as he isn't the quickest.

We really need to act quickly to nick some of those Southampton youngsters who are seriously talented. Don't let the dissaray of this last season fool you, in more experienced sides some of those youngsters would be much improved.

Ridulous fee (even if they werent in admin) + no manager + a team of players to shift first = non story

Fee sounds about right considering their situation. Was rated at a much higher price this time two years ago, has stagnated somewhat since then, but away from So'ton will do very well. Definitely better than League 1.

Ridulous fee (even if they werent in admin) + no manager + a team of players to shift first = non story

How do you know we aren't on the verge of selling players?

I'd say Daniel De Ridder from Wigan would be a tidy shout.

Yes, definetely one I was thinking of.

Adel Taarabet

Zoltan Gera

Darren Gibson (loan) ?

Jack Wilshire (loan) ?

Not sure what the situation is with Giles Barnes at Fulham, but they dont want him...

Fee sounds about right considering their situation. Was rated at a much higher price this time two years ago, has stagnated somewhat since then, but away from So'ton will do very well. Definitely better than League 1.

Yup. I actually think £1 million is a really good price for him. Still only 22 years old also.

Been surprised at the lack of interest/links to Southampton's youngsters so far.

Danny Shittu

I was thinking this the other day.

Was really good for Watford when he played week in and week out for them but hasn't really got a chance at Bolton and has kind of fluffed it on the rare occassions he was put in, but I reckon it's more down to a lack of confidence.

Could be the big dirty championship defender we need alongside Bassong.

Danny Shittu

Was really good for Watford when he played week in and week out for them but hasn't really got a chance at Bolton and has kind of fluffed it on the rare occassions he was put in, but I reckon it's more down to a lack of confidence.

Worse than shit. Partly to blame for our relegation with the goal he gifted Hull in the 1-1 draw at the Reebok. A joke of defender with less of a brain than Titus. No thanks.

A young defender like Matthew Mills at Doncaster or Roger Johnson at Cardiff would be a much better option.

Danny Shittu

I just want to get Shittu on the back of my top

Surman would be an excellent signing IMO

Didn't we have two other Scandinavians (Norwegian iirc) on trial with us in January. One was related to Tore Andre Flo. They played in the Norwegian second division

I had this on an earlier thread, but since nobody read it :razz:

There's a whole crapload of Korean senior internationals that I could see doing a brilliant job in the Championship, the Korean league is pretty much a mirror image of the Championship in style and quality and I think many, many of our players could do very well.

Kim from West Brom is at the top of that list, accompanied by Seol from Fulham (on loan in the Saudi League at the moment,) and Lee Young-Pyo, late of Tottenham and currently at Dortmund who looks set for a return to South Korea in the summer unless somebody else comes in for him. Cho Jae-Jin, who we almost bought two winters ago, would be a horrible Premiership player but has the right style to dominate in the Championship. Even domestically in the Korean Leagues I think there would be 4~5 players I would love to see us taking a chance on.

But going beyond just Koreans, we should definitely have an eye on bringing in established internationals from the smaller footballing nations. There are no doubt many players in places like Scandinavia, East Asia, or North America who are desperate for a move to Europe and would come much cheaper than the best English players in the Championship, and with a bigger upside to boot. (Skeljbred falls into this school of thought as well.) If anything, our scouts should see relegation as an opportunity to further expand our range of signings, as opposed to just playing it safe and buying English/Scottish/Irish.