Enrique Interviewed by Marca Publication

O Neill

From Marca this morning.

http://www.marca.com/2009/05/29/futbol/futbol_internacional/espanoles_mundo/1243575356.html

Unfortunately my Spanish isn't exactly great and I know those online translators tend to make a mess of things so I've tried to summarise as best I can.

Marca introduce him as a regular in our defence and suggest it has been one of the worst years of his life but Enrique isn't hiding in shame and willing to speak about the last season.

How is life mentally?

Mentally he is knackered (although I think he opts for something more crude if translation is right). It's a very hard time and he could see back in September things weren't working. On a personal level the relegation is something that is difficult to take for him. He feels it's even harder as we have a great fanbase that fills out the stadium every game.

What went through his head when Newcastle were relegated?

He felt like crying as it was something that had never happened before. He went home and still couldn't believe it was happening. He can't understand how a team with so many big players could lose their Premiership status.

Jose discusses the season...

From September he could see there were troubles ahead. Plenty of big name players but things just weren't comnig together right. Last season was similar but the club managed to settle. This season wasn't like that as many things have been done badly from the beginning.

The club needs a revolution. It is now looking to half the wage budget and many players will have to depart. Jose is now on vacation and needs the rest after what he feels is the longest year of his life. He says we only gained seven wins all season and for a club like Newcastle it is unacceptable. He believes if Shearer is appointed things will change for the better as he is a man who can bring big things to Newcastle. He also stresses the need to give Shearer time and that it has to be a long term project in order for fortunes to change.

On the supporters...

The people are incredible. They have always supported us and don't deserve to be watching Championship football. Gives us a 10 for passion/support but an 11 is deserved.

Has he considered staying to play in the Championship next year?

His contract has 3 years remaining. Nobody likes playing in the Championship but he believes in fulfilling his contract. He understands the team has a big budget and he is sure if things go well from the start next season they can look towards building themselves to the heights being reached by Aston Villa. He loves the city and is very happy living in England. However, with the financial situation at the club, if an offer comes in he knows he may have to leave. Unless that happens he will be a Newcastle player.

On the future of Newcastle...

There have been 4 managers this season and even periods with one. It has all been bad from day one but he hopes things will change for the better and with Alan Shearer in the chair that is possible.

Sorry, if this has already been posted.

Heartening interview, from that it does seem that if he leaves it will be because we need to sell rather than him wanting to move. Personally, for me he is one of the few high earners I'd be willing to keep but I doubt the club will see it that way.

Guest Roger Kint

Good to see he is also prepared to stay. Just Bassong to convince now and thats a solid back four for next season. He has been our second best player in my eyes this year and has done brilliantly to overcome the doubters and various managers who didnt seem to rate him. You could see as he went off v Pompey he cared, we need more of the likes of him, Beye and Taylor at this club.

Seems like a sound enough bloke and has done in the past. I don't think he's desperate to leave, but it sounds like he probably will be unless he's one we're particularly keen to hang on to.

I will be gutted to see him go if he does go. Has been getting better and better this season despite the teams overall form. He shows he cares as well. Im chuffed we will be getting rid of some of our dross, but on the other hand will be gutted his players like Enrique have to leave.

Guest toonlass

Good attitude. It really is heartening to hear some of the players coming out and saying these things.

Would love it if we managed to keep a hold of him, but I think TRon sums it up well. He may not be considered worth the wages by those at the club, but he's probably one of the few you could make a claim for earning his keep.

If we manage to keep the entire back-four intact then things would look very good, as I feel that defence is good enough for the Premiership, let alone the Championship. It's just a shame they played together so rarely this season.

I know it might sound daft, but a season in the Championship could be the making of him as a defender in the English game. The same could be said of Taylor and Bassong.

One thing that defence could be accused of is being too lightweight/not up for a scrap. They'd get plenty experience of that where we are now and it will stand them all in good stead.

Guest Roger Kint

does it say how much he is going for? id want to et our money back at least

My English must be poor, i cant see what you are talking about :kasper:

I think the thread title is slightly misleading as it sounds like he's "talking" to a club rather than a journalist. Incidentally how good does it feel hearing a Spanish player saying that he loves the city and playing in England? Especially one who's had to fight for the right to wear the shirt?

Enrique talking to Marca

Marca is a Spanish daily sports paper he's giving an interview to, not a football club he's in discussions about a transfer with.

Enrique talking to Marca

Marca is a Spanish daily sports paper he's giving an interview to, not a football club he's in discussions about a transfer with.

Sorry about the ambiguity. Title amended to something more obvious.

Guest Roger Kint

I think the thread title is slightly misleading as it sounds like he's "talking" to a club rather than a journalist. Incidentally how good does it feel hearing a Spanish player saying that he loves the city and playing in England? Especially one who's had to fight for the right to wear the shirt?

Ah i see your point, i saw marca the sports paper but can see how some may not although everything he has said was positive for us good to hear so even after getting past the title i dont get what he meant

Guest Roger Kint

Enrique talking to Marca

Sorry about the ambiguity. Title amended to something more obvious.

To be fair its a pretty famous paper