How bad will it get?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This new information regarding the club being on offer again has thrown a huge spanner in the works for prep this summer of the first team.

The sale might well drag on for two months etc...Even with a quick sale (3-4 weeks) there is no guarantee that AS will be part of the plan and new owners will take a least a month to work out where they are going financially and football wise.

Another period of indecision and lack of direction may well stop us getting back up and there are stats somewhere that show that if you don't get back up within two years then iirc 66% never came back (I'll try and dig them up).

How bad is this gonna get?

Guest Stephen927

When Ashley took over it seemed like ages before we signed any players because of them sorting the clubs books out. Hope we don't have a repeat of it, very important that a new owner is found who will invest in the team ASAP.

I can't see us coming straight back up now. As Shearer himself said, the other teams in the Championship (and probably Boro and WBA who were pretty much doomed to be relegated) will have been planning for 2009/10 for weeks if not months now. We still don't have a fucking manager.

The problem is that if we don't come straight back up it may mean we're destined to be a yo-yo club without a ultra-rich sugar daddy.

I can't see us coming straight back up now. As Shearer himself said, the other teams in the Championship (and probably Boro and WBA who were pretty much doomed to be relegated) will have been planning for 2009/10 for weeks if not months now. We still don't have a fucking manager.

The problem is that if we don't come straight back up it may mean we're destined to be a yo-yo club without a ultra-rich sugar daddy.

Sadly have to agree with that. This announcement at this crucial time is a self-made tragedy.

Edit: If the club isn't sold within 2 weeks and a good manager/AS isn't put in charge, there is no chance in hell of coming back first time.

Guest Heneage

I can't see us coming straight back up now. As Shearer himself said, the other teams in the Championship (and probably Boro and WBA who were pretty much doomed to be relegated) will have been planning for 2009/10 for weeks if not months now. We still don't have a f***ing manager.

We have 2 and a bit months as of tomorrow. I think we will be ready.

Guest Stephen927

Depends also on how fast the players gel with each other. There will be plenty of changes in the playing staff, it's all about how they click and how fast they click.

Can't really see us coming back up first season. Patience is going to be required though that will be hard.

I reserve judgment until the end of the transfer window! With this club making rash decisions is never going to be the answer. I just need to see who leaves, who comes in, who owns the club and of course the man in charge! Hopefully the latter can be sorted in the next month... otherwise we are in deep shit before the season has even started!

There is no point making judgment now because we are in unchartered waters!

if we keep Taylor, Enrique, Bassong and Beye (we'll keep at least 3 of those imo) then that's half the battle won. Guthrie could absolutely shine in the championship, same goes for Carroll, Xisco and possibly Jonas. We'll need to buy 4 attacking players but with the funds from the sale of Oba, Colo etc but this shouldn't prove too much of a problem.

Straight back up

Guest toonlass

Its terrifying. We have no clue about ANYTHING. All of our competition have managers in place, who will be making plans now and who will know players they want to keep, which players they want to target and how they are going to approach the season. We on the other hand have fuck all.

Guest wshmag

Gotta get a fans' consortium sorted out, go Barca/Real style now because that's the only way this club becomes relatively self-sufficient in the short-run.

eh?

Guest scottishmag54

Yeah a lot depends on what type of owner we get and what there plans are really got get a new owner in by July 1st.

Gotta get a fans' consortium sorted out, go Barca/Real style now because that's the only way this club becomes relatively self-sufficient in the short-run.

Isn't the problem that people want an owner that will be able to put money into the club (i.e not Ashley or Freddy), wouldn't a fans' consortium do just the opposite?

We wouldn't be able to plug the club with money if needed, which it probably would. I don't see the parachute payment and the money from player sales being enough to stablise us.

Isn't the problem that people want an owner that will be able to put money into the club (i.e not Ashley or Freddy), wouldn't a fans' consortium do just the opposite?

We wouldn't be able to plug the club with money if needed, which it probably would. I don't see the parachute payment and the money from player sales being enough to stablise us.

Yeah, I know and I agree.

The hypothetical Real/Barca scenario would be more beneficial in the long-run. Even if we are condemned to the Championship for a couple of years, if we can become financially stable and viable, then promotion into the Premiership will mean that we can actually spend money too because of our fanbase. We're not like other teams who need someone to shoulder their spending sprees. The infrastructure at the club is still very strong.

We've got a short-run financial problem. If this can be solved, then a Real/Barca style ownership is possible.

Yeah, I know and I agree.

The hypothetical Real/Barca scenario would be more beneficial in the long-run. Even if we are condemned to the Championship for a couple of years, if we can become financially stable and viable, then promotion into the Premiership will mean that we can actually spend money too because of our fanbase. We're not like other teams who need someone to shoulder their spending sprees. The infrastructure at the club is still very strong.

We've got a short-run financial problem. If this can be solved, then a Real/Barca style ownership is possible.

I agree for the long run. I think, barring some sort of billionaire miracle worker, it's the only way to stop the rot at the club.

Our problem for years has been with management, with ownership, choice of managers, interference from the boardroom and such, if the fans had a say in who was in there and who was making the big decisions, it could really help to rebuild the backbone of the club.

In the short-term though, I think we're in dire need of a big cash boost to stop us from crumbling.