Former Newcastle Defender Onyewu Suing Over Racism on the Pitch

toonarmy

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=652062&sec=americansabroad&&cc=5901

BRUSSELS -- U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu is suing an Anderlecht player over an alleged racial insult, hoping the case will help eradicate on-field racist abuse in European soccer.

Onyewu, who plays for Standard Liege, says Anderlecht's Jelle Van Damme called him a "dirty monkey" during the Belgian league playoffs. Van Damme has denied the allegations and said he is not a racist.

Onyewu's lawyer, Jean-Louis Dupont, lodged a complaint with a Brussels court Tuesday.

"He was convinced it was his duty to lodge the complaint," Dupont said. "It is not a question whether Van Damme is racist. The issue is that these slurs are still used on the pitch, and are being used because they know it hurts."

Onyewu completed five days of training in Miami on Sunday with the U.S. soccer team. He is preparing for the June 14-28 Confederations Cup in South Africa and two World Cup qualifiers.

Onyewu is one of the top defenders in the Belgian league and has made 40 international appearances for the U.S., starting in all three games of the 2006 World Cup.

The incidents occurred during the opener of a two-game playoff series between Standard Liege and Anderlecht to decide the Belgian league on May 21.

In three separate incidents during the tense 1-1 draw, Onyewu claims Van Damme called him a "monkey." Onyewu alerted the referee but the match was not interrupted. At one point, Onyewu threatened to leave the field but "the teammates convinced him to stay," his court complaint said.

Standard Liege beat Anderlecht 1-0 in the return leg, giving the 27-year-old Onyewu his second league title in as many years.

Beyond seeking personal reparation, Onyewu "wants to contribute to eradicate such behavior in football," his court papers said.

"A great many lesser-known African players don't have the stature to publicly denounce the insult they suffer on the pitch," Dupont said. "With Oguchi, it is different."

Anderlecht said it had yet to be informed of the court case. The team said Van Damme had told the referee at the playoff game he made no such comments.

Unlike the racist chants that cascade from the stands in some European nations, the racist taunts on the field are often whispered in a player's ear when referees are out of earshot.

Racism from the stands has been going for years, with fans making money chants and throwing bananas at black players. Soccer officials have long condemned it and fined clubs.

Although not racist, the most famous case of onfield taunting came at the 2006 World Cup final. Italian defender Marco Materazzi got under Zinedine Zidane's skin and the Frenchman headbutted him. Zidane was sent off and Italy went on to win the cup.

Shame this kind of thing still goes on, and not even just from the fans.

Guest Ebolarama

Jelle Van Damme. :lol:

Always used to buy him for mid-table Prem teams on Football Manager. Wasn't bad, if I remember rightly.

Anyway, yeah, can't believe this sort of shit still goes on in the modern game. Footballers are a bit thick though, so I'm not entirely shocked.

Jelle Van Damme. :lol:

Always used to buy him for mid-table Prem teams on Football Manager. Wasn't bad, if I remember rightly.

Heh, as soon as I saw Shak's post was about to say the exact same thing, just replace "wasn't bad" with "was fucking class".

All power to him if he wants to take action, more people should challenge this sort of thing in Europe.

Will be difficult to prove unless he has witnesses... and ones that are willing to come forward at that. Although civil action is different to criminal isn't it, it can be decided on balance of probability or something like that?

All power to him if he wants to take action, more people should challenge this sort of thing in Europe.

Will be difficult to prove unless he has witnesses... and ones that are willing to come forward at that. Although civil action is different to criminal isn't it, it can be decided on balance of probability or something like that?

Pretty sure the extent of the damage can be estimated on the basis of probability (i.e. the extent of emotional damage caused, in this case), but the issue of whether racial slurs were used would need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt before it could go any further, just like in a criminal law case.

Guest Heneage

Is that the ex Southampton lad?

To be honest I'd rather play a Chimp in our back line than "The Gooch".

call a black man black and its racism. Call a white man white and who cares?

overreaction.

'

BTW: BIG no to racism.

Singling someone out isnt the right way to go. it has to start at young ages and teach kids thats racism has no place in football, or anywhere else in 2009 and on.

overreaction.

'

Singling someone out isnt the right way to go. it has to start at young ages and teach kids thats racism has no place in football, or anywhere else in 2009 and on.

Eh? :lol:

So you think that if this guy called Onyewu a "dirty monkey" then he shouldn't be punished for it?

overreaction.

'

Eh? :lol:

So you think that if this guy called Onyewu a "dirty monkey" then he shouldn't be punished for it?

'

Nah not really. Ive been called fucking monkey loads of time and i didnt care at all. I like to think it might be aimed at his behaviour rather than ones skin color.

Pretty sure the extent of the damage can be estimated on the basis of probability (i.e. the extent of emotional damage caused, in this case), but the issue of whether racial slurs were used would need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt before it could go any further, just like in a criminal law case.

I would guess that the point of bringing the action here isn't really to win the case. I'm sure the lawyers would know that is difficult without proof, and in any case, what would he hope to win monetarily that would really matter to him? I would think the point is to name and shame, causing such relatively wealthy players to lose the only thing that matters to them right now (their reputation), thus discouraging future actions like this. He may not be able to technically win, but he can easily win in the court of public opinion, which could be worth more to him.

overreaction.

'

It wasn't that he was called black or white. He was called (allegedly) a "black monkey". Obviously the point of that statement was for racial abuse, not to point out his skin color. The idea was to get under his skin with these kinds of comments, and there's no place for that. Singling him out is worthwhile, because while yes you are right that it needs to start at the child level, as long as there are adult role models who continue such actions, it will never go away, and the only way to do so is to start and address it one at a time.

I would guess that the point of bringing the action here isn't really to win the case. I'm sure the lawyers would know that is difficult without proof, and in any case, what would he hope to win monetarily that would really matter to him? I would think the point is to name and shame, causing such relatively wealthy players to lose the only thing that matters to them right now (their reputation), thus discouraging future actions like this. He may not be able to technically win, but he can easily win in the court of public opinion, which could be worth more to him.

overreaction.

'

It wasn't that he was called black or white. He was called (allegedly) a "black monkey". Obviously the point of that statement was for racial abuse, not to point out his skin color. The idea was to get under his skin with these kinds of comments, and there's no place for that. Singling him out is worthwhile, because while yes you are right that it needs to start at the child level, as long as there are adult role models who continue such actions, it will never go away, and the only way to do so is to start and address it one at a time.

If its racism, then it should be punished. But be 100% sure before naming someone a racist, cause thats a reputation worse than Joey Bartons.

i agree with you. Adults role models being racist is detestable.

Because black footballers were taunted with monkey noises and bananas throughout the 70s, 80s (and still are in less racially tolerant parts of the world) due to the colour of their skin. Therefore, calling a Black person a monkey is likely to be seen as racial abuse by most right minded people.

Guest firetotheworks

Someone calling a black person a 'monkey' and then people wondering why it's racist is a bit daft.

Someone calling a black person a 'black monkey' and then people wondering why it's racist is just fucking stupid.