Supporters not all mongs . . .

B-more Mag

says the Times:

Gabriele Marcotti

I'm watching the Newcastle/Mike Ashley saga unfold from a distance, relying on George Caulkin's reporting and reading musings like this one from Matthew Syed.

Viewed from afar, you get the sense that Newcastle fans are a monolithic bunch of infantile fools. They seemingly spend their days crowding behind David Craig when he does his stand-ups on Sky Sports News, they prattle incessantly about what a "big" club they are and how nobody can match their "passion" and, most of all, they are convinced that if you're a Geordie who was once a great player you will automatically solve all the club's ills. And, of course, because they are a "big club" they want a "big-name manager".

Now, I don't live in Newcastle and I don't go there often so I have a limited sample to go by. But of the dozen or so Newcastle fans I know, there are only two who remotely fit the cartoonish description above. And, even then, I'm probably being uncharitable.

So I told myself that I clearly knew particularly intelligent Newcastle fans who are far from the typical supporter and I set off on the web to trawl through various Newcastle forums. What I found was that my Newcastle-supporting acquaintances pretty much reflected the range of views on the fan forums. Which were actually quite disparate.

Many were sceptical about Shearer's lack of experience. Many felt that, no matter how much Steven Taylor loves the club, he has a lot of growing up to do. Just about all loathe Ashley, but a sizeable minority felt that the way he took transfer powers away from Keegan and appointed Wise with that ridiculous title wasn't necessarily wrong per se, it was just that Wise was the wrong guy for the job.

In short, what I found was the same kind of range of opinion you might find on any fans forum: some idiots, some lunatics and a majority of posters who represent a variety of views.

And yet this image of Newcastle persists. And I wonder: why

Good Article. Wish them mongs would stop turning up on sky sports. They are embarrising and have probably never been to a match and instead prefer to jack up and drink cheap cider

Its never going to change, the stadium is smack bang in the middle of the city, people walk past it everyday, infact I do now.  If something major happens and I'm on my way to work I bet I would get stopped by SNN.

The people taking the piss also fail to notice that most of the kids bouncing outside dont appear to be at work where most NUFC fans would be.

There was a guy talking about NUFC in an office a little while back, i overheard the shit he was coming out with "its the fans, the push the club in the wrong direction"  WTF how?  Did we actually ask Ashley to do this to us, did we fuck.  People watch SNN and assume aall newcastle fans are 18 years old bounc up n down and shout "shearer shearer".

And the pundits "newcastle fans would rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0" wtf ??!?!?!?!? 

Good Article. Wish them mongs would stop turning up on sky sports. They are embarrising and have probably never been to a match and instead prefer to jack up and drink cheap cider

if all premiership(championship) stadiums were within 2mins walk from city centre it would happen everywere, have you seen some of the inbred freaks that are in and around bolton,wigam,etc,.

Because it's easy to form a snap judgement based on a few glimpses of mongs and then never bother to check the accuracy of that judgement.  Most people do it with some group or another. 

Guest firetotheworks

Its true, but theres little need for the article. Anyone who thinks an entire group of people is defined by the few isn't worthy of an opinion.

Does anyone really think that the retards bouncing around on the SSN cameras are representative of a clubs fans? This goes for all clubs not just the SJP mongtangs.

For every mong they interview talking shite, there will be at least three people who give a considered, thoughtful judgement. However, sky sports news choose never to show these people.

Does anyone really think that the retards bouncing around on the SSN cameras are representative of a clubs fans? This goes for all clubs not just the SJP mongtangs.

For every mong they interview talking shite, there will be at least three people who give a considered, thoughtful judgement. However, sky sports news choose never to show these people.

Yeah of course they don't, but it'd be fairly boring if they did. I'm alot happier watching the mentally retarded inbred mackems than the ones who are reasoned and intelligent.

its cos they hang around SJP at 2pm on a tuesday afternoon, when all the intelligent people are at work. due to the wonders of editing, they can unfortunately pick and choose whatever the hell they want.

Guest Heneage

David craig isn't daft he picks the idiots out and edits it pandering to the view of the deluded Geordie that we all see. We've been the south' laughing stock for a while and it's just another piece inthe puzzle that is; "the daft Geordies saga".

Its never going to change, the stadium is smack bang in the middle of the city, people walk past it everyday, infact I do now.  If something major happens and I'm on my way to work I bet I would get stopped by SNN.

The people taking the piss also fail to notice that most of the kids bouncing outside dont appear to be at work where most NUFC fans would be.

There was a guy talking about NUFC in an office a little while back, i overheard the shit he was coming out with "its the fans, the push the club in the wrong direction"  WTF how?  Did we actually ask Ashley to do this to us, did we fuck.  People watch SNN and assume aall newcastle fans are 18 years old bounc up n down and shout "shearer shearer".

And the pundits "newcastle fans would rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0" wtf ??!?!?!?!? 

well now, it would give him plenty to mong on about, when they see you in that gimp mask.

edit, seriously, the biggest mongs are actually the reporters,.... mong encouragers.