Pilko

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Johnson  Gerrard    SWP

Cole Terry? Ferdinand Richards

Hart

This should be known as "the charge of the light brigade"

:lol:

Can anyone tell me what the fuck is wrong with a standard 4-4-2 formation?

It seems fashionable these days to play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-1-1-1-2-fucking 1. 4-4-2 is has been the cornerstone of world football for decades and it still works now, so why do managers insist on fucking around with diamonds and christmas trees? 

................................Foster

Richards.....Ferdinand.....Terry......Cole

Walcott.......Gerrard.......?.......Johnson

..................Rooney.........Carroll

Perfect! Now stop fucking about

Can anyone tell me what the f*** is wrong with a standard 4-4-2 formation?

It seems fashionable these days to play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-1-1-1-2-f***ing 1. 4-4-2 is has been the cornerstone of world football for decades and it still works now, so why do managers insist on f***ing around with diamonds and christmas trees? 

Richards.....Ferdinand.....Terry......Cole

Walcott.......Gerrard.......?.......Johnson

..................Rooney.........Carroll

Perfect! Now stop f***ing about

Capello got absolutely hammered during the World Cup for playing 4-4-2.

Can anyone tell me what the f*** is wrong with a standard 4-4-2 formation?

It seems fashionable these days to play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-1-1-1-2-f***ing 1. 4-4-2 is has been the cornerstone of world football for decades and it still works now, so why do managers insist on f***ing around with diamonds and christmas trees? 

Richards.....Willo.....Terry......Cole

Barton.......Gerrard.......Nolan.......Johnson

..................Nolan.........Carroll

Perfect! Now stop f***ing about

Capello got absolutely hammered during the World Cup for playing 4-4-2.

Fixed

Rooney is a striker and had his best season for Man Utd when he player up top and stayed there.

Gerrard is a central midfielder and always has been. He looked much better when he dropped back into a proper midfield role last night.

This is exactly my point. These players came into the game in very definite positions but through managers fucking about with formations they are now considered something else. Rooney plays between the midfield and attack, Gerrard plays in a more advanced midfield role - Bollocks, total bollocks!

Gerrard - midfielder

Rooney - striker

Lampard - midfielder

Agree with the point made re Carroll not being an ideal selection if all it is going to do is tempt our defensive cloggers to lump the ball 60 yards to him.

Only if they play out and out wide men on their natural side will Carroll get the type of service he can make something of.

With Johnson wide left and Lennon (who actually looks to take full-backs on on their outside) wide right, he could be devastating. Ashley Cole playing - and overlapping - would also help.

Agree with the point made re Carroll not being an ideal selection if all it is going to do is tempt our defensive cloggers to lump the ball 60 yards to him.

Only if they play out and out wide men on their natural side will Carroll get the type of service he can make something of.

With Johnson wide left and Lennon (who actually looks to take full-backs on on their outside) wide right, he could be devastating. Ashley Cole playing - and overlapping - would also help.

dont even need orthodox wingers like that providing the width gets used by intelligent midfielders. unfortunatly yeaterday there was no  midfield movement and so the defenders look for the get rid ball.

I would like us to be more attacking which I believe would suit our players. Trying to play all continental ironically has us playing like a bad stoke imitation

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Johnson   Gerrard     SWP

Cole Terry? Ferdinand Richards

Hart

Notes: Not sure if Terry is gonna be fit enough to play for england again. And play Gerrard or Lampard depending who is fitter/best form. Possibly Downing on the left with recent form.

The reasoning mainly is the front two need balls into the box. SWP and Johnson on their proper foots can provide this. And I think Rooney would benefit playing behind the two CFs. I don't think he does the CF role in 442 well at all and hes piss poor at being the lone man, just a waste.

If we carry on playing with a Carroll like player up alone upfront, we should have Wallcott running off him, not gerrard.

:mackems:

The problem is English teams have historically always played 4-4-2. English players are therefore geared up to play 4-4-2 - one-footed wingers, defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, big physical strikers etc.

The influx of continental managers and players who are schooled in a different style of football has influenced how our national team play. We should just play to our strengths with a team of players who are best suited to a formation they have grown up playing.

We can't outplay the likes of France, Brazil, Germany, Spain but we'll give them a decent game if we play the traditional English style of football - pacy wingers beating the full-back and crossing the ball to big, powerful strikers.

For me, last night highlighted exactly why we need an English manager in charge of the national team. As much as I hate Harry Redknapp, i'd love to see him manage England - he'd have us playing decent football with a proper English mentality and i'm confident that we'd be a lot more successful under him than we ever will be under Capello

The problem is English teams have historically always played 4-4-2. English players are therefore geared up to play 4-4-2 - one-footed wingers, defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, big physical strikers etc.

The influx of continental managers and players who are schooled in a different style of football has influenced how our national team play. We should just play to our strengths with a team of players who are best suited to a formation they have grown up playing.

We can't outplay the likes of France, Brazil, Germany, Spain but we'll give them a decent game if we play the traditional English style of football - pacy wingers beating the full-back and crossing the ball to big, powerful strikers.

For me, last night highlighted exactly why we need an English manager in charge of the national team. As much as I hate Harry Redknapp, i'd love to see him manage England - he'd have us playing decent football with a proper English mentality and i'm confident that we'd be a lot more successful under him than we ever will be under Capello

for me it highlighted why england will have to go to grassroots and change the ethos of how wew train our kids and the mentality behind it.

for me it highlighted why england will have to go to grassroots and change the ethos of how wew train our kids and the mentality behind it.

Absolutely, but until we have players who have been coached to play a more continental style from grassroots level we have to play to our current strengths. Shoe-horning ill-suited players into a formation they're not used to playing and asking them to play a style of football that they're not used to playing will rsult in shit football and shit results.  It's like asking Spanish or Brazilian players to lump the ball up to a big man so he can hold it up and lay it off to the on-rushing midfielders - wouldn't ever happen and if it did, it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Carroll and Rooney up top, with Johnson and A. Young on the wings would be highly effective imo.

in midfield but not on the wings, which implies they stay there. the modern game is about movement and technique. saying " he's on the wing" stops the movement and makes it so much easier to defend against.

tbf i didnt really give it much thought. I just want us to try the formation with people playing in their preferred positions. And i'd rather have the chance of getting smashed than seeing what I saw last night - no threat whatsoever

Also there was a time when SWP was tearing the prem up, don't let the ridiculousness of city cloud your mind. Albiet, I wouldn't pick him right now either

Carroll  Rooney

A. Johnson  Huddlestone  Gerrard  Lennon

Cole  Terry  Ferdinand  G. Johnson

Hart

Others: Foster, Green, Jagielka, Lescott, Richards, Baines, Wilshere, Lampard, A. Young, Walcott, Crouch, Bent, Defoe

Also, let's remember that there is more than one way to play successful football. If the only way to win was pass it like Spain, Arsenal would have won the Premier League every year.

Get Pulis in!

Also, let's remember that there is more than one way to play successful football. If the only way to win was pass it like Spain, Arsenal would have won the Premier League every year.

Are you wanting Big Sam in-charge by any-chance?

:facepalm:

Cheers.

If they're interested, what I was responding to was the idea that England can't be successful because we don't produce the players of the raw technical ability of Spain and France.

I'm not advocating long-ball crap football, but I think we have the players to play a pressing game and an up-tempo direct(ish) game in attack, and be quite successful at it.

The problem is picking wide players with no pace (Milner) and a midfielders who don't work together or have no actual attributes (Barry).