The England Thread

Pilko

I don't really see the point of using international tournaments to develop players. I would just pick whoever is doing best in the run-up. Who cares if Baines isn't going to play next time around? Just pick someone else then. The PL is good enough to prepare people for international football IMO.

Cole is better than Baines, imo. Cole has arguably been England's most consistent player in major tournaments. Always seems to be one of a few who walk away with any sort of credit.

Agree that in major tournaments, your best players should be getting played if they are 33 or 19 however. Age shouldn’t matter when it comes to the starting 11.

23-man squad init?

GK - Hart, Forster?, Foster?

FB - Johnson, Baines, Cole

CB - Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott, Caulker, Shawcross

MID - Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Cleverley

FWD - Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Defoe, Lambert (Carroll if fit)

---------------------------- Hart ----------------------------

Johnson ----- Jagielka ------- Cahill ------------ Baines

--------------- Wilshere ------ Barkley --------------------

Lallana ----------------- Rooney --------------- Welbeck

-------------------------- Sturridge --------------------------

That's the eleven players I'd like to see in some shape or form.

I think there's a really good competition for places. Every time England aren't playing (or on the fleeting occasions where they play well), I'm convinced they can have a good tournament. There's a lot of good players in that squad and a lot of competition for places. Especially when you consider that position Lallana is playing is interchangeable with so many; Townsend, Ox, Stirling, Zaha, Milner.

Loads others missing from that squad, too; Carrick, Young, Barry, Henderson, Huddlestone, Shelvey, Downing, Johnson, Carroll - all of them are in with a shout if they have good second halves to the season.

Leaving the Captain at home?

Yes please.

Gerrard has been in very good form this season, probably the best football he's been playing over last couple of year. Have no complaints with him being captain and starting. Still need to have experienced players amongst the youth. Lampard has lost his place and rightly so.

There's plenty of talent in attack and midfield, but the defence doesn't look great and it bothers me that we don't seem to have a midfielder who plays in that anchor role, protecting the centre backs.

I'll get mauled for this, but Barry has been dismissed too early and should be in there. It'll detract from our attacking strength, but in recent games opposing teams have just been able to go right through us, and the top sides could have a field day in Brazil.

The alternative is Gerrard, but that's not ideal because he's basically an attacking player. I'm not aware of any other candidates.

Gerrard has been in very good form this season, probably the best football he's been playing over last couple of year. Have no complaints with him being captain and starting. Still need to have experienced players amongst the youth. Lampard has lost his place and rightly so.

Both are still massively better options than Tom fucking Cleverley.

I don't really see the point of using international tournaments to develop players. I would just pick whoever is doing best in the run-up. Who cares if Baines isn't going to play next time around? Just pick someone else then. The PL is good enough to prepare people for international football IMO.

MASSIVE DISAGREE BUT DRIVING SO CANT ELABORATE

MASSIVE DISAGREE BUT DRIVING SO CANT ELABORATE

Funny in a subtle dickhead way.  O0

Telling you right now if we play Wilshere and Barkley as the two CMs we will get ripped apart by anyone decent.

Also if you want to do anything at International level then Cole must start. Baines runs, crosses and FKs are nice at PL level but at the top echelon of international level his lack of defensive ability gets exposed. ( hell it already has)

On top of that i don't trust Hodgson's ability to put a system together to get the best from the likes of Baines without suffering defensively like Martinez has.

Won't bother with the squad but this should be the XI IMO.

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole

Barkley/Carrick Gerrard Wilshere

Sturridge Rooney Welbeck.

I don't rate Cahill that much but we really have no one else, Johnson based on this season is on the way down he seems to have deteriorated physically.

But we don't really have any better sadly, maybe Clyne? but that's about it really.

Also if you want to do anything at International level then Cole must start.

We're not going to "do anything" at this tournament, and he won't play at the next tournament. The team should be crafted with Euro 2016 in mind. We should be working out ~15 players who look odds on to be a part of that squad, and make sure they're involved in the team for the next 2 years. In every single squad, no matter how stupid a friendly we're playing. Give them a chance to have the cohesion, and big tournament experience, that they'll need to actually put up a fight. Them playing at a high level week-in week-out has obviously done sweet fuck all for our chances at these tournaments, so how about we try and give them some tournament experience without the pressure that they'd be under if something was actually expected of them.

If we had 2016 in mind, we should have  gone with younger lads from the qualifying phase.

We didn't. So we should go with the Gerrard +1 we have had during qualification.

Yes, we should have done this a long time ago. Or at least when owld Dykey announced what our "expectations" were for the upcoming

tournaments. But just because we didn't do it back then, doesn't mean we shouldn't start now.

There's plenty of talent in attack and midfield, but the defence doesn't look great and it bothers me that we don't seem to have a midfielder who plays in that anchor role, protecting the centre backs.

I'll get mauled for this, but Barry has been dismissed too early and should be in there. It'll detract from our attacking strength, but in recent games opposing teams have just been able to go right through us, and the top sides could have a field day in Brazil.

The alternative is Gerrard, but that's not ideal because he's basically an attacking player. I'm not aware of any other candidates.

Carrick

Yee-ees, a possibility, but he's not great on the defensive side.

If you look at Everton, they've lost the fewest number of games and conceded the fewest number of goals of any Premiership side. Man City, from looking very strong in defence, now look vulnerable in away games.

You couldn't say that it's all down to Barry, but he is the best player that England have who is a complete natural in that position.

Guest Howaythetoon

In midfield and attack I'd go with...

--------Gerrard/Carrick/Barry

----------Barkley --- Wilshere

--------Sturridge Rooney Wellbeck

But the big question is - which one?

The other five look a good unit, though I think I'd go for -

..............Barry

Oxlade-C....Gerrard.....Wilshere

.............Rooney

............Welbeck

with Barkley and Sturridge knocking at the door.

For once, we have some good options going forward, if everyone's fit. It's the defence that's dodgy.

I think there are a fair few choices at the front for england, the main problem is defensive midfield (Barry does seem to be playing well for Everton mind). The question is I guess whether to use Sturridge and Welbeck as makeshift wingers or try and get some proper width from somewhere.

Henderson imo is also worthy of a try. Carrick probably should be in squad too. Wilshere is playing well again now and if continues his current form should be an automatic start. Llallana also worthy of being high up pecking order imo. Having said that would be tempted to go mental and play

Sturridge

Welbeck      Rooney    Llallana

Barkley  Wilshere

Yeah probably lacking in defensive stuff but if kept disciplined has a lot of threat. Not a huge fan of Welbeck in the league either but always seems to do well for England. No width there, Rooney, Llallana and Welbeck drifting will have to provide that.

Guest Howaythetoon

But the big question is - which one?

The other five look a good unit, though I think I'd go for -

..............Barry

Oxlade-C....Gerrard.....Wilshere

.............Rooney

............Welbeck

with Barkley and Sturridge knocking at the door.

For once, we have some good options going forward, if everyone's fit. It's the defence that's dodgy.

Fit and on form Carrick without a doubt. I actually rate Barry too, he isn't great, but he's not as bad as is made out. Gerrard has obviously been a top player and is vastly experienced, but I don't think he can play the role in the way required. Either way England lack a true anchorman type and have done fore decades. If we were fluent and diverse we wouldn't need such a player but we aren't so we need someone in there to break up play and protect basically. We are limited to these three it seems.