40 years ago today.....

ToonTastic

..... we won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup trophy.

Manager Joe Harvey celebrated his birthday in the Megyeri uti Stadion as Iam McFaul, David Craig, Frank Clark, Tommy Gibb, Ollie Burton, Bobby Moncur, Jimmy Scott, Pop Robson, Wyn Davies, Benny Arentoft, Jackie Sinclair and substitute Aan Foggon completed a 6-2 aggregate victory over Ujpest Dozsa.

Which of you golden oldies can remember the win then, tell us your stories of the win, how you saw it etc. In this time of crap football, crap owners, crap football I'm very very interested and would love to hear from some of our good times.

Guest BooBoo

Sad indictment on this forum that this post has zero replies while people flock to tedious insignificant tripe such as "who will we get on day one of the new season".

Poor.

The stuff of legends though. Especially Joe Harvey's legendary half time team talk. One of my prize possessions is a ticket from the away game in Budapest. Its in pretty good condition too and although i've never had it valued, it must be rare as rocking horse plop.

I cant say I was alive for this, but it still makes me proud hearing about it. By the sounds of it, that team should really have pushed on and bagged many more trophies...

I'm sure old Joe would turn in his grave if he saw the club today.  :sadnod:

Let's all raise a glass tonight to remember these lads! Howay the Toon!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Sad indictment on this forum that this post has zero replies while people flock to tedious insignificant tripe such as "who will we get on day one of the new season".

Ibrahimovich is shit.

I cant say I was alive for this, but it still makes me proud hearing about it. By the sounds of it, that team should really have pushed on and bagged many more trophies...

I'm sure old Joe would turn in his grave if he saw the club today.  :sadnod:

Let's all raise a glass tonight to remember these lads! Howay the Toon!

Really? I thought that apart from one season in the 70s where we came 5th, and a few decent cup runs, we were no more than an average mid-lower top flight/Second Division club for the most part in the 60s & 70s?