Would you give Freddy a fresh start?

Dave

Let's assume for a second that Shepherd's consortium is going to take over. :kinnear:

It's pretty obvious that feelings are very mixed on the bloke, there are many people going with a 'better the devil you know' stance but many more who don't want him anywhere near the club. Personally I'm not really sure what I think; Ashley is clueless and at least we know Shepherd can do the business. The biggest decision is made for him (Shearer) and he'd probably be forced to rebuild the club sensibly given our position and the fact he'd be responsible for others' investment.

My question for those who are understandably sceptical is this: would you be prepared to afford him a clean slate?

Will you be willing to do what you probably would for any other newcomer and give him the benefit of the doubt for a period of time, or will you be on his back straight away? The club is in a totally different position to how it was when he left, and regardless of how you feel he left the state of the finances the fact is he didn't oversee our relegation - Ashley did. Isn't it only fair that he is judged on what happens this time around?

I wouldn't welcome him back.

If he does end up coming back then he'll be given the chance to prove himself, the same as anyone else would.

However, we all know his past errors and we're all going to be more alert to any similar occurrences.

He'll be given the chance but the patience won't last long. He's already had his learning curve. There will be no grace period.

I wouldn't welcome him back.

If he does end up coming back then he'll be given the chance to prove himself, the same as anyone else would.

However, we all know his past errors and we're all going to be more alert to any similar occurrences.

He'll be given the chance but the patience won't last long. He's already had his learning curve. There will be no grace period.

Good, concise post. I suppose that sums up my feelings pretty accurately. :thup:

What exactly is the opposite of not giving him a fresh start? I can't say i'll ever be too fond of the bloke but i've got an element of faith in him doing what's right for the club, so i'll certainly support him.

What exactly is the opposite of not giving him a fresh start? I can't say i'll ever be too fond of the bloke but i've got an element of faith in him doing what's right for the club, so i'll certainly support him.

The opposite of not giving him a fresh start is giving him a fresh start.

:lol:

No really the answer is a NUSC rally

To out-Dave Dave the real opposite would be giving him a stale finish.Or even selling him one.

Ah yeah.

Well, basically... if the opposite of 'giving him a fresh start' is a sack-the-board campaign, protests, booing, all that boring overplayed shit... then yeah - i'll be giving him a 'fresh start'.

I don't necassarily have to like him to think he might actually be alright for the club in the situation we're in now. It's mainly my sheer desperation for us to get bought and sorted out; because we run the risk of severely losing ground on the competition at this rate.

Tbh, we'll have to get behind whoever buys the club otherwise we're fucked. Ashley has kinda left us in that position.

Two different things though.

We have to get behind them, but he doesn't have to have a clean slate.  Quite the opposite in fact, he has a lot to prove.

To out-Dave Dave the real opposite would be giving him a stale finish.Or even selling him one.

Sounds like something you'd get for 2 euro in Amsterdam. :lol:

Sounds like something you'd get for 2 euro in Amsterdam. :lol:

;D

Tbh, we'll have to get behind whoever buys the club otherwise we're fucked. Ashley has kinda left us in that position.

Two different things though.

We have to get behind them, but he doesn't have to have a clean slate.  Quite the opposite in fact, he has a lot to prove.

Aye, quite right. But I mean we couldn't afford to start campaigning etc. against a buyer like FFS. So, not a clean slate but given him a chance to prove he's not a total cockend.

Guest Heneage

The one thing about the Shepherd group that does fill me with an essence of hope that mistakes won't be repeated, is that it's a consortium. I don't imagine for a minute any businessman willing to invest his own money would happily let Shepherd make decisions on his own with no say.

I don't want him but right now he'd give us more stability than Ashley, so really beggars can't be choosers.

Guest michaelfoster

no, he started this mess by putting us unto debt, spending sponsor money before we got it, giving players like Luque 50k per week when he only wanted something like 20k, giving Owen 110k per week, hiring Fat Sam. Its partly his fault we are in this mess in the first place.

A freshish start. It'll be interesting to see him operate in his new environment. He's always blamed the Robson sacking on them - he wanted to support him, supposedly. Also, while even a broken clock can be right twice a day, it did look like he'd made a reasonable decision in bringing Allardyce in - as though he'd learnt old lessons and knew we needed a new approach given our financial situation at the time.

Still, there are some fucking magnificent reasons for getting straight on him. Remember the Hitzfeld 'betting scam'?