Would you give Freddy a fresh start?

Dave

Not until I hear it from Shearer.

Direct quotes from Shearer would be interesting, or this means nothing at all.

Fair enough, it's not like anything reported lately has been 100% accurate. It was in a few different places that Shearer and Shepherd had met to discuss the plans though - I doubt that would happen if Shearer wasn't interested. Wonder if he's met with any other interested party?

That's a reasonable point Dave, but you'd need to know who approached who.

If it was Shepherd's lot approaching Shearer, then Shearer isn't in the position to approach 'interested consortiums', is he?

James - what has Shepherd done ever to make you trust him?

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh i'm scared shitless of another relegation scrap as things stand. I think Shepherd will provide some sort of avenue to re-hash the squad, and provde a relatively efficient managerial set up.

Yes i will definately give him another chance. He has made some very poor decisions in the past but imo if this club is gonna survive and have a serious push to get back into the Premiership then we need to be united. I cant see the positives of the board and fans being enemies from day 1.

What we need atm is a chairman who will back the manager. For the faults FS may of had, nobody can argue that he didnt back the manager.

Guest Brazilianbob

Regardless of peoples somewhat predjudiced view of Freddy Shepherd the bloke IS AN UNDISPUTED NUFC FAN and can run a football club.  He has all the contacts in the game that MA never had and despite the view that he ran the club into massive debt, he always said that the club was never in danger of folding like MA insisted, and that the debt was always a perfectly serviceable debt.  That said I fully expect him to run the club in a similar fashion so we can expect to be in debt, but hey, Liverpool are over £300m in debt, so our problems are chickenfeed compared to them.  Bring it on I say andlets give the bloke a second chance it can't be any worse than the MA tenure!

Regardless of peoples somewhat predjudiced view of Freddy Shepherd the bloke IS AN UNDISPUTED NUFC FAN and can run a football club.  He has all the contacts in the game that MA never had and despite the view that he ran the club into massive debt, he always said that the club was never in danger of folding like MA insisted, and that the debt was always a perfectly serviceable debt.  That said I fully expect him to run the club in a similar fashion so we can expect to be in debt, but hey, Liverpool are over £300m in debt, so our problems are chickenfeed compared to them.  Bring it on I say andlets give the bloke a second chance it can't be any worse than the MA tenure!

:facepalm:

:kinnear:

no, he started this mess by putting us unto debt, spending sponsor money before we got it, giving players like Luque 50k per week when he only wanted something like 20k, giving Owen 110k per week, hiring Fat Sam. Its partly his fault we are in this mess in the first place.

No.  People forget how bad he was!

This and This!!

I know things are looking really bad at the moment but Freddy would be a massive step backwards, we've been there done that and got the rather ugly looking t-shirt.

Lets be honest here i firmly believe if Freddy shepherd was still in charge and had not sold to the incompetent cockney fuckwit we would still be apremier league team..i have no doubt what so ever about that

some of the ridiculous decisions decided by the thick shit ashley would never have been contemplated by Freddie

Come back Freddie all is forgiven

Yes in fact I may go as far as to say I am over the moon and will welcome him back, that may wear off but right now I am smiling about NUFC aint done that for a long time... I hope this deal gets done!

The thing is, and I tend to stay away from these debates as they get on my threpneys, however I thought I'd post my two penneth.

At the moment (this latest rumour aside) we are adrift.  No leadership, be it manager, owner, chairman.  We are a newly relegated 'big' name.  We are a scalp for many a championship team who will be out to nock us.  We have an astronomical wage bill, we have players who currently dont know if they will be playing for us next season and we have fans who are, not only not renewing season tickets, but becoming sick, tired and generally pissed off with the whole situation.  At present, we will, for the opening game of the season have around 25k attendance guestimate.  In other words, on a downwards, slippery slope with no outlet or hope in sight.  

If Shepherd takes over, we will at least have a manager, an expierienced footballing chairman and generally a solid foundation to work on.  Yes Shepherd was a liability, we overspent and made some horrendous decisions during his reign.  On the flipside, the manager was backed to the hilt, we were finishing in champions league positions, we actually spent money during transfer windows and didnt end up with a negative net spend.  People are worried about any debt accumulated by him, however to be succesful you have to speculate to acumulate.  You have to look at Liverpool/Man U etc just to realise manageable debt means success unfortunately.  Dont forget, he also has rumoured financial backing from other parties, so will not be let loose to spend spend spend.

Anyhow. I could rant on for ages.  Its not the best deal in the world for Newcastle, however I, along with many others that I have spoken to are saying better the devil you know.  

I just want things sorted one way or another.

The thing is, and I tend to stay away from these debates as they get on my threpneys, however I thought I'd post my two penneth.

At the moment (this latest rumour aside) we are adrift.  No leadership, be it manager, owner, chairman.  We are a newly relegated 'big' name.  We are a scalp for many a championship team who will be out to nock us.  We have an astronomical wage bill, we have players who currently dont know if they will be playing for us next season and we have fans who are, not only not renewing season tickets, but becoming sick, tired and generally pissed off with the whole situation.  At present, we will, for the opening game of the season have around 25k attendance guestimate.  In other words, on a downwards, slippery slope with no outlet or hope in sight.  

If Shepherd takes over, we will at least have a manager, an expierienced footballing chairman and generally a solid foundation to work on.  Yes Shepherd was a liability, we overspent and made some horrendous decisions during his reign.  On the flipside, the manager was backed to the hilt, we were finishing in champions league positions, we actually spent money during transfer windows and didnt end up with a negative net spend.  People are worried about any debt accumulated by him, however to be succesful you have to speculate to acumulate.  You have to look at Liverpool/Man U etc just to realise manageable debt means success unfortunately.  Dont forget, he also has rumoured financial backing from other parties, so will not be let loose to spend spend spend.

Anyhow. I could rant on for ages.  Its not the best deal in the world for Newcastle, however I, along with many others that I have spoken to are saying better the devil you know.  

:clap:

:clap:

That may be so to a point but he spent fuck all when Sir Bobby was Manager, only decent manager that should have got funds for players even Shearer himself complained at the time we needed to spend money.

At least we will have a chairman, which will be a step up itself.

Communication, signings, ACTIONS, ambition...ahh bliss.

Let's just say I really hope there are some alternative bids.

Shepherd delivered some temporary almost-success, there's no arguing with that. But he leeched the club for his personal gain and left us in a very poor financial state.

I hope he's learned the lessons from his last spell in charge, remains to be seen.

One thing's for sure, he doesn't have the wealth to spend much money, without further increasing our debt burden. The one good thing that Ashley has done is clear some of the debt, so I wouldn't want to see that go to waste.