Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Geordiesned

Oba Wants to Stay

OBAFEMI Martins has revealed he is hoping to survive the Newcastle United fire sale in order to help win back the Magpies’ top-flight status at the first attempt.

The Chronicle understands that the Nigerian, who finished the season playing through the pain barrier with groin problems, wants to stay on Tyneside and try to repair the dented pride of the Toon Army.

It won’t be lost on United fans that Martins is on an excellent salary and his contract still has two years left to run.

Nor that his wages are astronomical compared to your average Championship player.

Yet Martins, who is represented by Errol Dapo these days, says he is ready to tackle second-flight football and told the Chronicle from Nigeria today: “I hope I am not sold.

“If the club decide to sell me I have no choice but to go.

“But my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season.

“I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.

“I know the club is for sale and that is hard for the fans.

“Yet I hear there could be some light at the end of the tunnel eventually.”

Martins was signed by Glenn Roeder back in the Freddy Shepherd era for £10million and it’s understood that the former chairman is part of one of the consortiums that are in the running to relieve Mike Ashley of the Barrack Road club.

As it stands, Newcastle are open to offers for Martins as they are with many of the first-team squad.

And the African is not on the controversial retained list drawn up by Ashley along with First Artists.

But Martins, whose agent Dapo works closely with agency Triple S, says that he aims to stay despite second-tier football.

Martins added: “I have been in Italy for treatment lately.

“There I spoke to a lot of people about Juventus and their demotion to Serie B.

“Back then, they still kept very, very good players such as Pavel Nedved, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluigi Buffon. That helped them get promoted, so I can take a lot of solace from that.”

Martins is among a clutch of players who will dig their heels to stay on Tyneside.

Steven Taylor, Habib Beye, Steve Harper, Tim Krul and Andy Carroll could turn to player power to stay put and focus on taking United back to the top flight.

As revealed by the Chronicle last week, Alan Smith also wants to remain on Tyneside.

It has also emerged that whoever buys Newcastle from Ashley will also have to pay off the club’s £40m overdraft.

But Alan Shearer was still waiting to hear good news today from United managing director Derek Llambias regarding the vacant managerial hotseat.

More likely you don't want  to take a pay cut by leaving!

Oba Wants to Stay

OBAFEMI Martins has revealed he is hoping to survive the Newcastle United fire sale in order to help win back the Magpies’ top-flight status at the first attempt.

The Chronicle understands that the Nigerian, who finished the season playing through the pain barrier with groin problems, wants to stay on Tyneside and try to repair the dented pride of the Toon Army.

It won’t be lost on United fans that Martins is on an excellent salary and his contract still has two years left to run.

Nor that his wages are astronomical compared to your average Championship player.

Yet Martins, who is represented by Errol Dapo these days, says he is ready to tackle second-flight football and told the Chronicle from Nigeria today: “I hope I am not sold.

“If the club decide to sell me I have no choice but to go.

“But my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season.

“I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.

“I know the club is for sale and that is hard for the fans.

Martins was signed by Glenn Roeder back in the Freddy Shepherd era for £10million and it’s understood that the former chairman is part of one of the consortiums that are in the running to relieve Mike Ashley of the Barrack Road club.

As it stands, Newcastle are open to offers for Martins as they are with many of the first-team squad.

And the African is not on the controversial retained list drawn up by Ashley along with First Artists.

But Martins, whose agent Dapo works closely with agency Triple S, says that he aims to stay despite second-tier football.

Martins added: “I have been in Italy for treatment lately.

“There I spoke to a lot of people about Juventus and their demotion to Serie B.

“Back then, they still kept very, very good players such as Pavel Nedved, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluigi Buffon. That helped them get promoted, so I can take a lot of solace from that.”

Martins is among a clutch of players who will dig their heels to stay on Tyneside.

Steven Taylor, Habib Beye, Steve Harper, Tim Krul and Andy Carroll could turn to player power to stay put and focus on taking United back to the top flight.

As revealed by the Chronicle last week, Alan Smith also wants to remain on Tyneside.

It has also emerged that whoever buys Newcastle from Ashley will also have to pay off the club’s £40m overdraft.

But Alan Shearer was still waiting to hear good news today from United managing director Derek Llambias regarding the vacant managerial hotseat.

More likely you don't want  to take a pay cut by leaving!

Nail and Head my friend.

OR like he says he loves living here and wants to stay, there are way to many people on here that just love to be negitive, Beye says he wants to stay ir that just for the money? Enrique too?

Guest BooBoo

Martins would be lethal in the CCC.

Tedious assumption.

I keep hearing this, but just because he's playing against poorer players does not automatically mean his woeful finishing will improve.

I don't think he'd score more than 15 goals.

He doesn't have the intelligence to time his runs, he won't appreciate being man marked most games and he doesn't make use of his pace and never has since he signed for us.

In my opinion he's never developed into the player he could've been with his raw athleticism. He's possibly lost half a yard since he signed too.

I'd rather save the 60k a week and chance my arm with a proven 'Championship' level forward until we're playing in the top league again.

He's an expensive luxury that we could well do without nailing his colours to our mast. See also Duff, Smith, Shola etc etc

OR like he says he loves living here and wants to stay, there are way to many people on here that just love to be negitive, Beye says he wants to stay ir that just for the money? Enrique too?

Nail and head my friend.

Once again a quote attributed to Martins that he'd never say in a million years.

Fuck. Off. :lol:

Guest geordienorway

Tedious assumption.

I keep hearing this, but just because he's playing against poorer players does not automatically mean his woeful finishing will improve.

Fair point, but I think most fans are under-estimating Martins abilities. Yes, his finishing is poor, but he is also the only player we have who can do something completely out of the blue. I feel alot more confident when Martins is on the pitch, because no matter how crap we're playing he can change the game. He has pace, power and great aerial abilities. He is by no means a world beater, but imo he is the best forward we have in our squad.

If he leaves, we will miss him. You don't see what you have before it's gone. 

If he is willing to take a large pay cut then I won't mind if he stays.

Otherwise I'm not particularly bothered if he goes. Used to be a favourite of mine but he let us down badly in the run-in, whether he was injured or not.

What better way to learn how to be a great finisher that to work with the greatest finisher the Premiership has ever had

At the top level it's instinct. He's not going to improve much now.

Also, Shola trained with Shearer for donkeys years and he's still................a donkey.

Does anyone really know how much he is on ? 70l per week? really or pure guess work?

If Al does get the managers job and comes out and says he wnats to keep Oba because he rates him, there will be an Oba jizzfest. I will take him at his word as I will the rest of those that are saying they "want to stay" like I said in another thread they will have ti prove and if that means they take a wage cut then fine, if the club sellt hem anyway then I guess we will never really know how much they meant it.

If he is willing to take a large pay cut then I won't mind if he stays.

Otherwise I'm not particularly bothered if he goes. Used to be a favourite of mine but he let us down badly in the run-in, whether he was injured or not.

Yup.