Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

"f*** off you Judas t***" would be my retort.

:lol:

He seen what was coming and went, in a way I don't blame him in another I do, had he stayed we may have stayed up and he could have left in the summer.

But he stayed for a very long time and year after year he saved our arse he earned the riight to go for glory elsewhere.

He seen what was coming and went, in a way I don't blame him in another I do, had he stayed we may have stayed up and he could have left in the summer.

But he stayed for a very long time and year after year he saved our arse he earned the riight to go for glory elsewhere.

That was his job and  he was paid alot of money to do, its not like its was a charity and he was doing it for free, Newcastle made him a wealthy boy and when the going got tough Shay walked away to another fat pay day

Aye, he was only for what, 12 years? half of which we were shit. Only our 3rd most capped player! That un-loyal bastard eh, how dare he leave for a club with ambition..

He did more for the club than any of the current lot.

That was his job and  he was paid alot of money to do, its not like its was a charity and he was doing it for free, Newcastle made him a wealthy boy and when the going got tough Shay walked away to another fat pay day

In one.

I posted on here the day he (his solicitor anyway) released his statement that he HAD been tapped up by City.

Absolute nonsense of the highest order. Newcastle did not make Given a great goalkeeper; he would have been great without us. You could argue we kept him from fulfilling his potential rather than the other way around. He was brilliant for us, a club legend.. He saw what Ashley was doing to our club and wanted out. Can't blame him.

Aye, he was only for what, 12 years? half of which we were s***. Only our 3rd most capped player! That un-loyal b****** eh, how dare he leave for a club with ambition..

Including jumping ship when we needed him most  :thdn:

Aye, he was only for what, 12 years? half of which we were s***. Only our 3rd most capped player! That un-loyal b****** eh, how dare he leave for a club with ambition..

When we needed him most? When we treated him like shit once again more like..

Absolute nonsense of the highest order. Newcastle did not make Given a great goalkeeper; he would have been great without us. You could argue we kept him from fulfilling his potential rather than the other way around. He was brilliant for us, a club legend.. He saw what Ashley was doing to our club and wanted out. Can't blame him.

Did not say Newcastle made him great , but they paid him well for his services, he lost the right to stick his oar in when he left as long as he is playing he should keep his mouth shut, its got nothing to do with him anymore he made that choice

When we needed him most? When we treated him like s*** once again more like..

I wish someone would pay me £50k a week and treat me as bad  :facepalm:

Did not say Newcastle made him great , but they paid him well for his services, he lost the right to stick his oar in when he left as long as he is playing he should keep his mouth shut, its got nothing to do with him anymore he made that choice

Why? He's still a fan of the club and has ties here as strong as anyone. He can give his fucking opinion if he wants.

When we needed him most? When we treated him like s*** once again more like..

I wish someone would pay me £50k a week and treat me as bad  :facepalm:

How about 80k+ and being treated well, with a team full of stars, manager and ambition?

I bet come that Sunday when we went down he was hurting more than some of our current squad.

Of course he was! Honestly, I find the idea the suggestion that Shay doesn't give a toss about the club fucking offensive, and those who claim it to be the case have clearly never seen the man play.

I bet come that Sunday when we went down he was hurting more than some of our current squad.

Of course he was! Honestly, I find the idea the suggestion that Shay doesn't give a toss about the club f***ing offensive, and those who claim it to be the case have clearly never seen the man play.

Yup and I bet when we are sold and if Al is given the job that there is a part of Shay that will be gutted he left, there is no doubt he loves this club and always will.

I am pissed he went mid season but 100% understand why he did.

Guest helios_centric

Can't believe people can criticise him. Consistently our best or thereabouts performer  year after year. He could have left many times, but chose to stick around hoping we could turn the corner. He was more than patient with the club's lack of progress and ambition. The club wore him into the ground and he had every right to leave, just as he has every right to give his opinion on the club now.

I reckon he was way more gutted than most of our current crop of 'players' when we went down.

Guest firetotheworks

As amazing and as loyal as he was for a long while, he has no right to talk about this season at all when he decided not to be a part of the solution. If he'd went at the end of this season then fair, enough, but he abandoned us, and for that he can fuck right off.

Former Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given believes Alan Shearer is the right man to lead the club back into the Premier League.

Shearer was unable to save his hometown club from dropping into the Championship after being appointed for the final eight games of a dismal season.

Given finally ended his lengthy stay at St James' Park in January when he was offered the chance to join Manchester City.

Having played alongside Shearer as the forward became the Magpies' all-time leading goalscorer, Republic of Ireland international Given is in no doubt as to his qualities.

Respect

He told Sky Sports News: "I think he is the right guy to move the club forward. He's got great respect in the game.

"He is a great ambassador for football and I think he would be the ideal man to move the club in the right direction.

"He is a leader off the pitch and now he is going to be a manager he can be a leader more so than when he was captain, he has got the qualities to be a top manager."

Magpies owner Mike Ashley has placed a £100million asking price on the club as he looks to sell up and sever his ties, and Given believes it is vital for everyone concerned with the North East outfit to look to the future.

Blame

He added: "I'm not going to sit here and start pointing fingers. I think most people know about what has gone wrong and who is to blame.

"It is not about blaming people and pointing fingers any more. A lot has been said and a lot has been written.

"It's about moving the club forward. They have been relegated and it's about getting them back to the Premiership where they belong.

"It's a club that deserves to be in the Premier League."

Not sure how anyone can have a go at him, with the wonderful service he gave to the club. He deserved to be treat a lot better in the end. I kind of wish that one of the players (Given included) would have spoke their mind when all this kicked off. Instead - they all chose to keep their trap shut. It's a bit late him offering his thoughts now, if I'm honest.