The single most important attribute

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Chairman once said that all of the decisions that he had to make paled into total insignificance beside the most important one - which manager to appoint.

You then have to work with the manager, and that relationship is the most important at the club.

There's an element of luck in this, but also nerve. Bill Kenwright was the first to spot Moyes as the real deal and gave him the chance. If he hadn't done that, Everton would probably have ended up where we are now.

Ambition - without it, you've nothing. It's necessary in itself in a way the others taken on their own are not; if a board possessed all the others except it, there'd be no particular prospect of success we as supporters would recognise.

Guest firetotheworks

Easy: Ambition.

If you have ambition, you know that you need the others.

Doesn't mean you've got the others, though.

Shepherd "had ambition". Shepherd appointed Souness. I rest my case.

You've been arguing with NE5 for too long.  :pow:

I didn't say you've got the others, I said you'd know you'd need the others.

But surely we can agree that knowing you need the others is not the same as actually having the others? That's all I was saying, really.

And as it goes, I don't think "having ambition" even necessarily means that you know you need the others. Or you can still be deluded about whether you've got them or not. Imagine Shepherd saying to himself, "Oh dear, I'm obviously not as good as I should be when it comes to appointing managers, so I'll get someone in who's better at it than I am."

Guest firetotheworks

But surely we can agree that knowing you need the others is not the same as actually having the others? That's all I was saying, really.

And as it goes, I don't think "having ambition" even necessarily means that you know you need the others. Or you can still be deluded about whether you've got them or not. Imagine Shepherd saying to himself, "Oh dear, I'm obviously not as good as I should be when it comes to appointing managers, so I'll get someone in who's better at it than I am."

Aye, but the question is which is the most important. I think that to have ambition is the most important because in aiming for heights you NEED all, or at least some of the others. You need less for the others. For example, you don't need to have money to hit a goal of being decisive, or you don't need to have ambition to have a plan, if that plan is to make money out of the club. You see what I mean. In order to hit a goal of having ambition, the others are needed, so its the most important in my eyes.

Aye, but the question is which is the most important. I think that to have ambition is the most important because in aiming for heights you NEED all, or at least some of the others. You need less for the others. For example, you don't need to have money to hit a goal of being decisive, or you don't need to have ambition to have a plan, if that plan is to make money out of the club. You see what I mean. In order to hit a goal of having ambition, the others are needed, so its the most important in my eyes.

Yeah, I basically think that all of these qualities are important. Ambition alone is not enough. My ideal owner right now would be big on vision, decision-making, and implementation.